Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nwn 1 question

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Never played neverwinter nights 1.Should i buy diamond edition or beamdogs enhanced edition?Do original modules and modes work for enhanced edition? Any must have mods? Can game be soloed without retarded henchmens with sorcerer?

Spukrian

Savant
I'm not a NWN expert but:

*DON'T Enhanced Edition. If you can get the Diamond edition.
*Play it without mods at first. That said, I don't much about mods.
*The two official expansions, Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark are pretty good, much better than the Original Campaign.
*Soloing the game successfully requires metagame knowledge.

Hope this helps!

Gargaune

Magister
a) Unless you're looking for old stock on eBay or something, NWN EE is the only version you can buy today;
b) NWN EE also includes the classic version of NWN as a separate download (at least on GOG it does);
c) NWN EE didn't have much going for it at launch, but between the minor graphical improvements, the updated Darkness over Daggerford and the new Tyrants of the Moonsea expansions (both separate purchases!), it now offers enough added value;
d) Most if not all of the old DE modules should work out of the box on the EE, but you could potentially still run into the odd bug with non-standard scripting;
e) No must-have "mods", unless you mean must-play free "modules", in which case: Swordflight, Crimson Tides of Tethyr (prequel to TotM);
f) Yes, you can go solo. A Rogue dip might be useful, though;
g) As far as official content goes, the OC's pretty bad, but SoU, HotU, DoD and TotM are all great campaigns;
h) This thread reeks of bait.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
DO NOT GIVE BEAMDOG MONEY, they don't deserve it. The EE is basically exactly the same as Diamond with a few mods.

You can play the campaigns solo, since resting is possible basically everywhere and chests can just be blasted open.

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
hi there. :) I've played 300+ hours of the EE on android, so i can say for sure, buy the EE. Almost all mods work fine for it, and some are even specially enhanced for the EE. Are there any worthwhile mods? Yes, tons. Look at the neverwinter vault for tons of high quality modules/campaigns that are totally new games unto themselves. U can find plenty of lists etc. on which campaigns to try, but there are many worth trying. I have downloaded over 300 mods on my tablet and counting, and each one of them is a worthwhile campaign.

So in short, grab the EE and check out the user community for modules/campaigns. It's really worth it. Hope u enjoy! Take care. :) <3

rogueknight333

Arbiter
If you are interested in multiplayer, you are probably going to need the Enhanced Edition. Otherwise, Diamond is fine, and in fact preferable in most cases, since using EE significantly increases the chance of running into bugs in the various modules and mods (though most should work with either in theory).

The official campaigns are rather easy, and it is quite possible to solo through them without using any of the henchmen if you do not want to. Whether the same is true in any of the player-made modules will of course vary on a case-by-case basis.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Soloing the game as your first playthrough should be hard, but doable. You'll have to pay attention to buffing items considerably more than a normal playthrough though.
Also, must have mods aren't really a thing for NWN per say, since most mods are separate from the base campaigns. There's CEP and PRC, which can be added to the base campaigns, but adding them to the game on your first time through would be absurd.

hellbent

Augur
The OC can definitely be soloed with a decent multiclass PC (did it my first playthrough forever ago), not sure about HotU and SoU as didn't solo those. HotU in particular might require a companion to aggro enemies, depending on your playstyle. If you do solo, the
boots of speed / boots of the shifting sands
are something of a cheat.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
a) Unless you're looking for old stock on eBay or something, NWN EE is the only version you can buy today;
b) NWN EE also includes the classic version of NWN as a separate download (at least on GOG it does);
c) NWN EE didn't have much going for it at launch, but between the minor graphical improvements, the updated Darkness over Daggerford and the new Tyrants of the Moonsea expansions (both separate purchases!), it now offers enough added value;
d) Most if not all of the old DE modules should work out of the box on the EE, but you could potentially still run into the odd bug with non-standard scripting;
e) No must-have "mods", unless you mean must-play free "modules", in which case: Swordflight, Crimson Tides of Tethyr (prequel to TotM);
f) Yes, you can go solo. A Rogue dip might be useful, though;
g) As far as official content goes, the OC's pretty bad, but SoU, HotU, DoD and TotM are all great campaigns;
h) This thread reeks of bait.
Im baiting what and who?Just asked for advice.Tnx anyway.

Gargaune

Magister
Im baiting what and who?Just asked for advice.Tnx anyway.
Eh, my bad, don't take it to heart. I wouldn't have bothered giving advice if I was sure, it's just that Monocle Police has a raging hardon for Beamdog. Bottom line, NWN EE's fine and its exclusive TotM DLC is well worth it.

DaveO

Erudite
I'd stick with original Diamond Edition for mods. For multiplayer, I believe Diamond is fine too. The only reason for EE is the addons like Infinite Dungeons.

I believe Diamond is worth the investment. A lot of fun can be had with the different scenarios in the NWN vault. At the moment, I was trying a scenario based off the SSI Phantasie game. I'm moving it to Patreon only for my videos.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
If you play the diamond version don't use your monitor native resolution.
No, it's just that the original UI that don't scale with the screen resolution and it is not the best solution for modern hi-res monitors. The EE UI text and elements adjust in size based on your chosen resolution including 1080p and 4k.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game is shit. One of the worst RPGs ever made. That's the only answer you need to know.
You mean poe 2?

Even PoE2 is better, due to having full party control and fewer features that only exist to waste time.
And that's despite PoE2's system being much worse than D&D, and its encounter design being bad too.

NWN is that bad.

Krivol

Magister
The game is shit. One of the worst RPGs ever made. That's the only answer you need to know.
You mean poe 2?

Even PoE2 is better, due to having full party control and fewer features that only exist to waste time.
And that's despite PoE2's system being much worse than D&D, and its encounter design being bad too.

NWN is that bad.

Yeah and this shit started fucking unplayable "3D RPGs" that are haunting me till this day: NWN2, DA:O, DA2, KotOR, that chink bioware shit etc . Yeah, SoU+ HotU are solid modules, but still it would be much better with actually good gameplay (like ToEE for example).

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Never played neverwinter nights 1.Should i buy diamond edition or beamdogs enhanced edition?Do original modules and modes work for enhanced edition? Any must have mods? Can game be soloed without retarded henchmens with sorcerer?

How about you don't buy it at all?

DaveO

Erudite
The Diamond Edition allows a multitude of modules that Lilura pointed out before she self-ejected from here.

visions

Arcane
Is SoU better than the OC?

I played through the OC in the 00's and found it p. banal. Years later I bought the Diamond Edition for the expansions and sometimes I try to start SoU but the writing and the premise turn me off immediately. Was in the mood for a one char (meaning no full party creation) D&D game recently and since my Baldur's Gate play disc no longer works, I tried SoU again.

You start in an adventurer's school (first strike) which is attacked by kobolds (second strike) who steal 4 mysterious evil artifacts that are very dangerous but no one knows why (third strike), soon enough I realized I have zero interest in this. The writing at least in the beginning is terrible, the premise can't get any more uninspired and the combat seems like standard NWN meaning RtWP with one char + a henchman you don't control so nothing to write home about either.

I find it increasingly more difficult to put up with overbearing stories and long winded dialogue, particularly when they seem terrible. So I said fuck it, no D&D for me and dug out my GTA 1 disc instead.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
Is SoU better than the OC?
Yes, absolutely. The "adventurer school" exposition is just as dumb as it was in the OC, but the rest of the writing is perfectly serviceable, if not particularly exciting. More importantly, SoU plays better than the OC, it's a lovely low-to-mid level campaign with a smidge of nonlinear exploration in its first chapter and some interesting dungeons, particularly in the (sadly too short) final chapter. The campaign then has a direct sequel in HotU, which will give you your epic plot if that's what you're pining for, and also two henchmen at once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom