Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Terra Alia vocabularies its Release

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: 30 Parallel; Terra Alia

Terra Alia has been released on Steam. What the heck is this? It's an odd one, that's for sure. Basically, it's a CRPG you play that also teaches you to be a foreign language dictionary. Create a character, solve mysteries, fight bad guys, all while learning some of the common words in a handful of languages in a magic academy setting. Yes, it's definitely an odd one.

• Master a vocabulary of hundreds of words in 10 different languages!
  • Follow the clues to progress the story and unravel the mystery
  • Solve challenging puzzles and complete all the quests
  • Defeat your enemies with powerful spells in a dynamic turn-based combat system
  • Level up and equip your character with increasingly more powerful abilities and items
  • With 10 different languages and hundreds of words, you’ll become a master of your vocabulary!
  • Complete quest lines filled with gripping stories while solving challenging puzzles!
  • Unravel a mystery that threatens all of Terra Alia by following clues and hints.
  • Cast powerful spells as you battle enemies in a dynamic turn-based combat system.
  • As you explore, you’ll earn increasingly powerful abilities and rare items with each new level reached.

Not a huge fan of JRPG style combat, but that's not the point of this thing.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Honestly I'm behind this. Theoretically. I believe that educational games can be great, even though no one has achieved it before

Alter Sack

Magister
How is the quality of the educational part?

The title of the game doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I like the idea of learning a new language but the gameplay looks boring

aratuk

Cipher
Finally executed on your idea to capitalize on the Harry Potter craze, but fifteen or twenty years too late :cry:

Calthaer

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Honestly I'm behind this. Theoretically. I believe that educational games can be great, even though no one has achieved it before

Number Munchers wasn't too bad back in the day. Oregon Trail was fun. I remember one called Odell Lake, too.

Educational games don't necessarily have to be as fun as regular games - they just have to be more engaging than listening to a teacher drone on. I definitely remember more about playing those games on an Apple ][ than I remember of the day-to-day blah blah of the teacher.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm all for gamification, but eh - not so sure how reliable it would be to teach someone a little of 10 languages. Maybe a lot of a few languages or a ton of just one new language would probably lead to greater retention. I seriously doubt there is any science behind this approach to language learning, and I doubt playing this game would lead to substantial long term retention.

What I'm saying that using games to teach things does work, but not when the idiots designing it decide to try to "teach" 10 languages at the same time. There is no science behind that, and there is a reason nobody teaches 10 languages at the same time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom