Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

jackofshadows

Magister
OK, so after like 50 playthroughs, I might be ready for a non-pure Sniper

Could TC/Sniper work, my friends? Mass Enrage then shoot 'em down? Well enough for Dom cruising early/mid game? (Not super concerned about level 20+)

1/ Stat distrib: I can imagine 5/3/6/3/MAX/10/6 as a way to squeeze in PER & WILL, but is it worth it/viable? Obviously there's a major sacrifice to max PER, but could it still function?
2/ Feats: apart from essentials like Shooting Spree and LOC - could focus on classic Sniper builds, or lean into things like Cerebral Trauma + Neural Overload? Too much? Could just stay at Tranq instead.

Rough draft:
https://underrail.info/build/?FAUDBgMMCgZuAAAAAABuS1oAAGRkCgBGbhkANwAAAAE5Kz8xNWR-MyFLwoXCh9-_
Sniper rifles are... loud. I'd suggest xbows or melee instead as addition to TC. Also I'd still trade PK/Chemistry for throwing and squeeze ambush because otherwise many killing sprees would go to waste.
e: No idea how you're supposed to get through there without a healthy amount of stealth. And even then it was annoying dodging those stupid robots.
Avoiding them with stealth is pretty annoying because of cameras. Templar would giggle himself to death over how many times one could reload there with that approach. It's much, much easier to just kill them all with a good build/few EMP.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
personally i liked the experience of getting stripped of all the items and sneaking around to survive.
Forcing strongmen and spiders to fight did take forever though

CHEMS

Scholar
Used to be able to sneakly drop the sonocaster on the floor to cheese Joint Security, but they patched it.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Just got back from the Security HQ. Thought to myself "Well, that was surprisingly easy".

Then I tried going back to my jetski. :negative:

Werdnicus

Learned
No way, Jose. Only two ways you can finish the quest now:

Either get a Biohazard Suit from Constantine or get the remaining canister from the Waterways Facility.
Q1R1zSo.jpg

THIS MAN DEFEATED BIOCORP FUCKERY WITH ONE SIMPLE TRICK

CLICK TO FIND OUT HOW

Thanks though, I also thought about this but assumed that the mutagen is scripted to affect me regardless of protection because Styg hates me like that.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It's what I noticed happens a lot with Slavic designers - They like to throw you into situations you have no way of anticipating, putting you at a massive disadvantage and then expect you do deal with it in a very specific manner.
Sneaking past certainly doesn't work, nor does attracting their attention away from the pier. Usually enemies investigate loud noises, like say A FUCKING PLASMA MINE GOING OFF. Not these assholes, nope.

I ended up cheesing it by going back inside the HQ a few times but considering they actively discourage this behavior by giving you -1000 initiative I don't think that was the "right" way to do it.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I'm not following - After I got the chip implanted into my hand at the health center I got in easily enough. I thought the scanner was asking to get rid of all my chemicals and grenades and such at first.

Parabalus

Arcane
Depends on the difficulty, on the higher ones all your stuff gets dumped in the adjacent room.

Also if you fail the test the naga protector wakes up.

Tigranes

Arcane

Could TC/Sniper work, my friends? Mass Enrage then shoot 'em down? Well enough for Dom cruising early/mid game? (Not super concerned about level 20+)

1/ Stat distrib: I can imagine 5/3/6/3/MAX/10/6 as a way to squeeze in PER & WILL, but is it worth it/viable? Obviously there's a major sacrifice to max PER, but could it still function?
2/ Feats: apart from essentials like Shooting Spree and LOC - could focus on classic Sniper builds, or lean into things like Cerebral Trauma + Neural Overload? Too much? Could just stay at Tranq instead.

Rough draft:
https://underrail.info/build/?FAUDBgMMCgZuAAAAAABuS1oAAGRkCgBGbhkANwAAAAE5Kz8xNWR-MyFLwoXCh9-_
Sniper rifles are... loud. I'd suggest xbows or melee instead as addition to TC. Also I'd still trade PK/Chemistry for throwing and squeeze ambush because otherwise many killing sprees would go to waste.
e: No idea how you're supposed to get through there without a healthy amount of stealth. And even then it was annoying dodging those stupid robots.
Avoiding them with stealth is pretty annoying because of cameras. Templar would giggle himself to death over how many times one could reload there with that approach. It's much, much easier to just kill them all with a good build/few EMP.

Yeah, TC/Sniper definitely isn't ideal, but at this point I've tried psimonks and most other tried and true combos.

I've been squeezing in throwing, and I might do the same with Ambush - key question will be whether Snipering can get over that threshold of efficient 1hko.

Tigranes

Arcane

Rough draft:

Well, I gave this a whirl, and I can confirm that Depot A was quite smooth on Dom/Oddity. Went in Level 8, came out Level 10. Almost no reloads. To be fair, with psi flexibility, that's probably true with many other combinations.

The key will be to stay ahead of the curve on sniping enemies. Accuracy's not a problem so far but damage is, at least with a stock rifle I bought (didn't see great parts in shops). I dislike Ambush but really might need it.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
NPCs friendly fire you: lol just a prank brah
You accidentally friendly fire them
Reminds me of how your allies react if you hurt (intentionally or not) them in the first Fallout.
iansmg2.jpg

Ian won't give me the benefit of the doubt, even if I give him medikit, and a f#ckton of stimpacks. If I wanted to erase him, I wouldn't let him waste healing items, that would be moronic...
The devs fixed that in Fallout 2. Maybe it will be fixed in Underrail's sequel, as well.

Sykar

Arcane

Rough draft:

Yeah, TC/Sniper definitely isn't ideal, but at this point I've tried psimonks and most other tried and true combos.

I've been squeezing in throwing, and I might do the same with Ambush - key question will be whether Snipering can get over that threshold of efficient 1hko.

Sniper works well with Meta, Destabilization -> Aimed Shot -> BOOM!.
TC Sniper is more about being able to silently take out some goons before the big show down. Queitly thinning the herd so to say.
Also Sniper does not need much PER. 13-14 is usually enough even for endgame. Will is harder. People claim that 75 TC and base WIL of 3 is enough but that is nonsense. TC CC all rolls against resolve and you need a really good value in TC to consisttently make it stick. Your most powerful combo will be LoC+Berserk but with low TC you are more likely to see resists than success. 12 WIL is recommended.
This is a big advantage of Meta and specifically destabelization. You can go with lower WIL and so long as you get to the threshhold of 100% of enemy HP to damage you are golden. Even better Crystasis does not allow resits and the slow from Crykinesis does not allow one either so you have some nice CC available. Take Pyro for the fear effect and Cryo feat which give 1 more round of CC plus Shatter against frozen targets and you are golden. No need for anything else in Meta. Cyro Shield could be nice depending on you final Meta value.

Here is a basic skelleton build with plenty of leftover feats, attribute points and skill points to flesh out.
https://underrail.info/build/?HgUDBwMKCgbCoAAAAAAAwqAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMKgAAAAACsBOT8dKjUuCn4zSwLfvw
I am not sure about the exact order for the feats but Premed at 6 is an absolute must. Interrloper because it really helps getting around in stealth but if you feel comfortable without it take something else like Paranoia for example for the extra initiative for example, Pack Rathound is never wrong either. Nimble could be taken for more Snipe damage and better stealth values. Meditation and Optimization are uneccessary since you will use your sniper rifle more than anything else. Try to use PSI as much with Premeditation as possible.
Aimed Shot might outshine Snipe later in the game when you get a lot of extra crit damage but it really helps early game especially depot A. Still you can forgoe Snipe if that is a concern.
Your biggest concern will be Death Stalkers which you have to cheese since those fuckers are so overtuned it is not even funny. Also important get HP from your armor. With the belt and the HP food you can easily boost your HP by 50%+ and even 100% at low levels.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Shadowlith emit some low frequency electromagnetic radiation that alter DNA and turn people into snake. There are some actual real world studies about low frequency EM waves causing DNA alterations. Styg often intertwine real science with the underrail lore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom