Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Cold Steel has Olivier and Sara in it, what more could you ask for?

You could ask for no Olivier, since his only purpose seems to be to serve as a living deus ex machina.

Jinn

Arcane
I'm suspicious of Cold Steel because of school setting and everyone looks too generic and young.

I felt the same going into it, but if you've played all prior games leading up to it, you'll see through veil pretty quickly. Ton of rewarding things for longtime fans, and while you're enjoying that, the cast starts to grow on you (for the most part). Cold Steel 1 was the only game in the CS saga that felt like a little bit of a hurdle for me to get over. Loved every game after almost entirely besides some nit-picking here and there.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Damn. If someone will play 3rd for first time don't make my mistake - clear doors as soon as you can. Don't leave them ALL until the very end. Too much reading in one go. Fishing, cards and quiz not helping either... At least Shera and Agate bring some combat.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
TBH what I don't like about the Trails series, they have too many characters and run out of archetypes pretty quickly.

The new protagonist looks like Rean. His sidekick is a mix of Emma and Alissa. The teenage girl – a mix of Shera and Fie. The red-haired dude is a younger Randy. The nurse girl... Tio? The grey-haired girl with drones is the new Altina.
And before that Sara has a lot in common with Schera (heavy drinking "mature" woman). Juna is similar to Estelle etc.

Jinn

Arcane
I didn't think it was possible, but I'm looking more forward to Kuro than Hajimari at this point, and that's from someone who's very excited for Hajimari. Looking REAL good. Going to be a bitch of a wait.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
TBH what I don't like about the Trails series, they have too many characters and run out of archetypes pretty quickly.

The new protagonist looks like Rean. His sidekick is a mix of Emma and Alissa. The teenage girl – a mix of Shera and Fie. The red-haired dude is a younger Randy. The nurse girl... Tio? The grey-haired girl with drones is the new Altina.
And before that Sara has a lot in common with Schera (heavy drinking "mature" woman). Juna is similar to Estelle etc.
Sara is the archetype perfected.

Ysaye

Arbiter

The person with the drones is a guy actually - his name is Quatre and he is the adopted grandson of Professor Hamilton (who is a lady). I don;t know who the teenage girl you are referring to?

I agree the guy protagonist looks way too similar to Rean; hopefully he is different in character and the same with the red beret girl (that she is different from Emma+Alisa).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Btw who is dis Rean guy? If he's typical animu protagonist i won't play it.
Rean is too hated. In cs2 and eventually 3, imo he become great character that stands up equal with estelle, kevin and lloyd imo.

The game harem mechanics affected some of his personality especially with how centered he is in the character's relationship, but rean is imo still a great character. He is bland in cs 1 , but after cs2 final chapter we got to see his character development as his world crumble around him.

In cs3 he's grown actually into a really likeable adult. He's more dependable, yet still carry his bagagges reasonably.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

Easily the worst main protagonist but still not terrible or anything. And I would say that he is quite typical animu character yes but so is the most of trails cast.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Rean is too hated. In cs2 and eventually 3, imo he become great character that stands up equal with estelle, kevin and lloyd imo.

The game harem mechanics affected some of his personality especially with how centered he is in the character's relationship, but rean is imo still a great character. He is bland in cs 1 , but after cs2 final chapter we got to see his character development as his world crumble around him.

In cs3 he's grown actually into a really likeable adult. He's more dependable, yet still carry his bagagges reasonably.

I take you by your word. Rean worries me the most. Estelle and Kevin are hard to top, though.

Deleted member 7219

Protagonists in order:

1. Estelle (particularly TITS 1, 3 and TOCS 4 - she becomes insufferable when pining over Joshua in first half of 2)
  2. Rean (TOCS 3/4 in particular)
  3. Lloyd (boring)

Reinhardt

Arcane
7219.jpg

Ysaye

Arbiter

In a way CS1 sets him up as having the appearance of a generic protagonist that then allows then to the deconstruct this stereotype throughout the ending of 2,and then more significantly 3 and 4.

For mine the Harem mechanics for Lloyd and then Rean are one of the weakest aspects of the Kiseki series; if only they had done the bonding events like they had done in Tokyo Xanadu where it was more just exploring the relationships between the characters rather than actually pairing them up based on your choice; I would have been fine if they paired up Rean with Alisa and Lloyd with Elie and just be done with it even though I struggle at times with Alisa as a character.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

In a way CS1 sets him up as having the appearance of a generic protagonist that then allows then to the deconstruct this stereotype throughout the ending of 2,and then more significantly 3 and 4.

For mine the Harem mechanics for Lloyd and then Rean are one of the weakest aspects of the Kiseki series; if only they had done the bonding events like they had done in Tokyo Xanadu where it was more just exploring the relationships between the characters rather than actually pairing them up based on your choice; I would have been fine if they paired up Rean with Sara and Lloyd with Elie and just be done with it even though I struggle at times with Alisa as a character.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I don;t know who the teenage girl you are referring to?
upload_2021-5-17_21-58-27.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom