Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Biomutant - open world post-apocalyptic kung fu with furries

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jenkem are you going to defend level-scaling too?
codex is afraid of having to fight difficult enemies, sad!
have fun fighting generic "level 1 enemy vs level 20 same enemy same attack pattern, same model, just amped up stats"
afraid of a challenge?
afraid of mediocrity

Codex Year of the Donut
have fun fighting generic "level 1 enemy vs level 20 same enemy same attack pattern, same model, just amped up stats"
afraid of a challenge?
afraid of mediocrity
noo I can't one shot it :negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They claim that it's "well thought through" level scaling on the twitter.

Whether it turns out to be retarded Oblivion style or something area based with upper and lower limits remains to be seen.

Codex Year of the Donut
afraid of a challenge?
afraid of mediocrity
noo I can't one shot it :negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:
noo its nothing but trash mobs :negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:
Yes, that's what they want.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Unsurprising that there is level scaling, but it is disappointing as it has never been done well in a game like this. Every open world arpg with level scaling that I've played would've been a lot better without leveling up. Gaining passive stat boosters and better items is enough for player scaling but that's not what the devs want, they want you to level up so that your gear becomes outdated which forces the player to redo the loot treadmill again. Sifting through hundreds of boring trash items in order to find the one item that rolled well. Unless a miracle happens with the game then it's easily -90% fodder at this point.

Codex Year of the Donut
afraid of a challenge?
afraid of mediocrity
noo its nothing but trash mobs :negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:
Yes, that's what they want.
trash mobs on steroids are still trash
You would know a lot about being trash

Silverfish

Arbiter

Breath of the Wild and God of War. With level scaling.

D-Qy_21XUAAaz60.jpg

Generic-Giant-Spider

Level scaling is lazier than palette swapping/changing enemy names and stat values.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unsurprising that there is level scaling, but it is disappointing as it has never been done well in a game like this. Every open world arpg with level scaling that I've played would've been a lot better without leveling up. Gaining passive stat boosters and better items is enough for player scaling but that's not what the devs want, they want you to level up so that your gear becomes outdated which forces the player to redo the loot treadmill again. Sifting through hundreds of boring trash items in order to find the one item that rolled well. Unless a miracle happens with the game then it's easily -90% fodder at this point.

Whatever happened to the concept of getting few but really powerful gear upgrades.

Like the old Gothic games, you had to work really hard for your armour upgrades, but they were all really significant.

I really detest Diablo style loot spreading to other games.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Whatever happened to the concept of getting few but really powerful gear upgrades.

Like the old Gothic games, you had to work really hard for your armour upgrades, but they were all really significant.

I really detest Diablo style loot spreading to other games.
i blame it on diablo. shit series with shit system that pollutes RPG forever

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Also do people honestly enjoy getting upgrades that give you an additive 1% damage bonus, or 1% more armour?

Isn't it more fun to have to work towards a gear upgrade that you feel the difference the moment you equip?

I really don't get this ADHD inflicted generation of nu-gamers. You'd think less pointless number crunching would actually appeal to them.

Codex Year of the Donut
Isn't it more fun to have to work towards a gear upgrade that you feel the difference the moment you equip?
so you're saying instead of 1% they should give 170% so you do 190000000000 damage to their 9000000000000000000000000 health pool?

you should apply to be a designer for an mmorpg

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
so you're saying instead of 1% they should give 170% so you do 190000000000 damage to their 9000000000000000000000000 health pool?

You said that not me. Gothic 1 and 2 did this perfectly 20 years ago.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have no idea how it works, so I forced myself through some of the pdp stream. He did fight enemies that were a fair amount of levels above his characters. Once, he fought a level 15 enemy at level 6 or 7. And he fought an enemy that was level 18 when he was level 9.

Harthwain

Magister
Also do people honestly enjoy getting upgrades that give you an additive 1% damage bonus, or 1% more armour?

I really don't get this ADHD inflicted generation of nu-gamers. You'd think less pointless number crunching would actually appeal to them.
I don't think this has anything to do with a specific generation of gamers. More likely the shitty upgrades on level ups are getting more and more popular in games, because it's easier for developers to make such model of player progression, instead of having to think about upgrades that are both meaningful and interesting each time you level up.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

You said that not me. Gothic 1 and 2 did this perfectly 20 years ago.

And a bit later, The Witcher 1 did a fine job at this 14 years ago.

fork

Fuck you losers, even thinking about buying this dreck.

open world
collectathon crap
furry degeneracy
level scaling

This is Ubisoft tier shit at best, and people who buy Ubishit are fucking cretins.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
watched the interview I linked above:

enemy drops are randomized, but there's also hand-placed loot in the world and as quest rewards.
higher luck leads to better drops
enemies equipped w/ loot/gear will have the stats/etc. of that gear applied to them
you can find areas that have higher level enemies, they will have a red skull icon if they are too high a level for you but you can still fight and kill them
re: enemies look like bullet sponges: footage of the game in the various trailers were played on easy mode, in normal and higher the enemies would do a lot more damage

re: level scaling, "it's not like oh this enemy is 5 levels over so we buff its stats"
he then goes on to talk about equipment and gear, not sure if he means the enemies scale based on your current equipment or just that it's important to focus on your gear and not just your attributes and while the enemies in earlier areas may have leveled a bit they'll still have shitty gear and you will outclass them.. unsure what he means tbqh

says the world is diamond shaped (more like a square on its corner than a diamond) and you start in one corner and "the game is designed manually in a way that the further out you get into the world the more difficult the enemies will be... so if you start and just run as far as you can into the map (obviously there are some gates like hazard zones and needing vehicles) you can do that but you'll get in trouble."

lots of secrets and hidden things to find, a lot of the side characters are just off in non-critical path areas, players need to follow breadcrumbs, for instance in PDP's stream he heard an ice cream truck and thought it was IRL, but it's a side character in the game and you can follow his song to find him. NPCs might casually tell you they saw something interesting and point to it if they are nearby it when you talk to them.

Last edited:

Tye

Novice
How important do yous guys think Charisma is going to be, in the scheme of things?
It's one of the six primary stats but I haven't seen much in the way of dialogue trees or anything like that (note: I did not watch most of PDP's livestream).

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Can't they just stop bothering with levels and shit and just let you fight shit? Doom wouldn't magically get better if you fought Epic Uber Hellfire Heart-Under-Blade Imps with your God Masterforce Over The Rainbow Shotgun in the final episodes. Levels in open-world RPGs exist so that you can't just waltz into the endgame locations and start killing everything, why add level-scalling which lets you do exactly that? Why didn't anyone learn anything from Hollow Knight? You can have a big, open world action adventure game and keep wanking over levels to a minimum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom