Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Full party creation in CRPGs - prestigious or popamole?

Comapnions or full party player creation?

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is a shame that they went for the full party generation thing,it would have been better as optional gimmick and well written companions. Full party making is pretty shit when it comes to story and then it is pretty shit to gameplay because you just make an optimal party and make combat meh. I would rather build up a premade companion and work around his flaws than just make another generic optimal character.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is a shame that they went for the full party generation thing,it would have been better as optional gimmick and well written companions. Full party making is pretty shit when it comes to story and then it is pretty shit to gameplay because you just make an optimal party and make combat meh. I would rather build up a premade companion and work around his flaws than just make another generic optimal character.

Full party generation is pretty common in combat focused CRPGs. It's better for this type of game as you don't have to fuck around with badly optimised dev premade characters.

It's also refreshing to play games like this and IWD on occasion where you don't have silly teenage level party squabbles and drama going on.

Bara

Arcane

If you want to avoid optimal/munchkin party just roll 4d6 drop lowest with some actual dice and adhere to the results. Or 3d6 strict even.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Games with "full" (additional optional and/or temporary pregens to an already big created party are fine) party creation are the only ones worth playing. Pregens and single character are by far the worst trend of post 95 RPGs.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Full party generation is pretty common in combat focused CRPGs. It's better for this type of game as you don't have to fuck around with badly optimised dev premade characters.

It's also refreshing to play games like this and IWD on occasion where you don't have silly teenage level party squabbles and drama going on.
It is an old mechanic that bring nothing of value to the game. Companions are clear evolution on the full party creation thing. Generally i don't mind the party making thing because it is an optional thing for oldfagz. I think that it would a better game if there was companions. Not every companion is about muh teen drama,there is plenty of well written ones. Honestly you sound like guy that haven't played an RPG in 30 years. Also lets not forget that it is only 4people team,which is pure decline lol.

Full party creation is necessary to have Lilura, Ontopoly, and Lacrymas in the same group, therefore I think it's pretty clear that's the best option by a mile.
A depressed self eject,screeching bitch and a raving mad homosexual......yeah keep them.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Complaining about full party creation. What the actual fuck am I reading? Calm your tits, Abu. Go out, take a breath of fresh air.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I liked Gor in Spellforce 3. Maybe the demonologist as well, but I haven't played with him much.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
well written

This was the part you asked for, no? I didn't realise you would add more conditions later.

I'd add Greiving Mother too. And I don't really remember Pallegina's story, but I remember liking her a lot. Wolgraff from D:OS was pretty cool too

I specifically called out drama. Durance is the walking embodiment of drama.

If you paid attention to my original post, you'd see I didn't completely denounce companions I just stated it's nice to occasionally have games like IWD where we focus on gameplay and combat without silly companion interjections and drama.

Not every game needs to focus on companion drama and Mary Sue life stories.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not every game needs to focus on companion drama.

I agree with that, and I like making a whole party, but if we're going to be picky about it, fanta said they're not all about teen drama, there are well written ones. Durance is both well written, and decidedly old and crotchety. I wouldn't even call him dramatic, but regardless, he's certainly not some fucking angsty teen.

Bara

Arcane
Also lets not forget that it is only 4people team,which is pure decline lol.

This is 5e and PC's are much more powerful than older editions. Going above 4 or 5 is asking to make the game really easy.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Not every companion is about muh teen drama,there is plenty of well written ones.

Name one in a recent game.
Asleifr, Gunnarr, Roskva, and Morcant in Expeditions: Viking. But yeah, the fact that the best examples I can think of are characters who barely have any writing at all is depressing.

Most of the examples in this thread so far have been either minimally written characters or characters written by MCA.

I'll amend my point thusly, if you can't write good characters (which is 99% of writers thesedays), it's better to just have full party creation. Full party creation should also be offered as an option in any combat focused CRPG regardless of whether the game contains fleshed out characters.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Half of the companions created by MCA are typical harem stuff, his games are in no way good examples to support companions. The more items, villains, etcetera written by himself the better, but give me full party creation especially in his games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom