Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Full party creation in CRPGs - prestigious or popamole?

Comapnions or full party player creation?

• Total voters

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's clear you haven't, and haven't even bothered to read any popular modules.
There aren't many popular modules where the only purpose of 3/4 of the cast is to accompany the protagonist on his very own personal journey.

The closest I can really think of is the Kingmaker AP where one player typically ends up being crowned. Even then though, the others players still get very important roles.
Rusty, let me take it from here:

*aehm aehm*

"Pathfinder is not an RPG because you can make an attack roll without checking up three different tables."

Codex Year of the Donut
It's clear you haven't, and haven't even bothered to read any popular modules.
There aren't many popular modules where the only purpose of 3/4 of the cast is to accompany the protagonist on his very own personal journey.

The closest I can really think of is the Kingmaker AP where one player typically ends up being crowned. Even then though, the others players still get very important roles.
Rusty, let me take it from here:

*aehm aehm*

"Pathfinder is not an RPG because you can make an attack roll without checking up three different tables."
D&D 3.5e and its derivatives are trash for millennials, I agree.
If you have seven different genders, you might enjoy it though.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well its actually pretty clear who hasn't played tabletop, with your attitude no group would want to play with you anyway,.

Reminds me of a guy we used to play with way back in the day that everyone disliked, he once told me completely nonchalantly that games he joined always ended up breaking up and he could never work out why.

This was a guy that would purposefully get characters killed off in combat so he could reroll, and would then get bored of a new character within 2-3 sessions max. He'd start whining if a character he wanted to kill off survived fights as well.

DemonKing

Arcane
I’ve played tons of tabletop games where the story focuses on one player’s character with the other characters acting to support that character realising their goal/ambition. This isn’t a problem at all with a reasonable group. The problem is if someone insists on making the game about them to the detriment of other players’s enjoyment.

Saying that, I prefer CRPGs when you control more than one character because you can experience different character types on a single playthrough. With single character games you have to replay the game multiple times to experience different playstyles and I don’t have time for that. Don’t really care about self-generated parties or companion NPCs although I loathe romances being shoved down my throat so probably give the edge to self-generated. On the other hand companions mean you often have to deal with less than optimal party members which can be interesting.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
On the other hand companions mean you often have to deal with less than optimal party members which can be interesting.
The entire reason they like full party creation is because it lets them min-max as much as possible, they can't deal with the idea of difficulty.
We're trying to reason with you, rusty. We LOVE the idea of difficulty.

Codex Year of the Donut
On the other hand companions mean you often have to deal with less than optimal party members which can be interesting.
The entire reason they like full party creation is because it lets them min-max as much as possible, they can't deal with the idea of difficulty.
We're trying to reason with you, rusty. We LOVE the idea of difficulty.
The only difficult part here is me(superior being) attempting to communicate with troglodytes.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I'm willing to bet that most of the people who enjoy having control over the way their party is built are also the ones who enjoy playing on the highest difficulties.

I use Shadowkeeper to handcraft my party in the IE-games - but I also play on the hardest SCS difficulty. Which in total makes the game infinitely harder than a scrub playing basic difficulty with default party builds.

Codex Year of the Donut

I'm willing to bet that most of the people who enjoy having control over the way their party is built are also the ones who enjoy playing on the highest difficulties.

I use Shadowkeeper to handcraft my party in the IE-games - but I also play on the hardest SCS difficulty. Which in total makes the game infinitely harder than a scrub playing basic difficulty with default party builds.
infinitely easier*
IE games are incredibly easy to cheese with custom parties

DemonKing

Arcane

What does it matter how other people want to experience a game? Let them turn on story mode and have homosexual romances with multiple partners if that floats their boat.

Personally being time poor now I usually play most games on bog standard difficulty settings whereas previously I would have gone for hard mode most times.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Every RPG can be cheesed even with default party members. If you think maxed SCS with custom is easier than basic BG where you can literally kill the most powerful beholders by autoattacking with your brain switched off you are just downright delusional and not even worth my time, lol

Codex Year of the Donut
Why do you feel compelled to lie for 'gamer cred' on an online forum?

I could ask you the same question. You've either never played a tabletop game in your life or you are the exact player that most DMs hate that ends up breaking up games.

I'm not that surprised to be honest, you've always come off as a complete cunt on this forum. It's a shame because I actually agree with quite a few of your posts.
your butthurt levels are off the chart
he was so butthurt he put me on ignore
told you, butthurt levels off the chart

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Infinitron stop fucking splitting threads. I came back to the Codex after a week's hiatus and I had 600000000 alerts and was like "wtf." Turns out it's because you've been splitting threads into atoms so now was subscribed to a ton of threads instead of 10 or whatever.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Evil companions in BG1 are more powerful than you can legitimately create, to the point Edwin is a better Conjurer than the PC can ever be, so BG1 isn't a good example. I'd say the humongous difference between a non-optimal and an optimal character is a problem for the difficulty and this genre in general. That's why I don't like stats which only give numerical bonuses and nothing else.

Ladonna

Arcane
Realms of Antiquity allows either in game companions that join you, or you can create your whole party at the start.

And Natuk had a fun ending. Even though you create all of your characters, everyone turns on each other after killing the Big Bad, and you get to choose 1 of 8 in a showdown for the crown.

Kliwer

Savant
Story companions are almost always better.

a). If a game has a story and roleplaying content - companions are more realistic and more interesting. I like they reactions to our deeds, they comments etc. Such game is much more like PnP.

b). If a game is battle-centric story companions are still better. Game is much more chalenging (in a good way) when you have to use sub-optimal builds. In such a game, however, there should be many companions. Good exaple is Baldur's Gate 1. We have 25 sub-optimal companions to choose from. Everyone is playable. Everyone is more intersting than any souless IWD character. Their personalities and comments, albeit rudimentary, add to the game's atmosphere.

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
Well its actually pretty clear who hasn't played tabletop, with your attitude no group would want to play with you anyway,.

Reminds me of a guy we used to play with way back in the day that everyone disliked, he once told me completely nonchalantly that games he joined always ended up breaking up and he could never work out why.

This was a guy that would purposefully get characters killed off in combat so he could reroll, and would then get bored of a new character within 2-3 sessions max. He'd start whining if a character he wanted to kill off survived fights as well.
I've played with a similar guy once. Made him play disposable mooks from a mercenary organization the PCs had allied with.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I liked Gor in Spellforce 3. Maybe the demonologist as well, but I haven't played with him much.
All the companions in spellforce 3 were good,even ended up disliking the dwarf not because it was a faggot but because it tried to make all people in to meat puppets lol.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
well written

This was the part you asked for, no? I didn't realise you would add more conditions later.

I'd add Greiving Mother too. And I don't really remember Pallegina's story, but I remember liking her a lot. Wolgraff from D:OS was pretty cool too

I specifically called out drama. Durance is the walking embodiment of drama.

If you paid attention to my original post, you'd see I didn't completely denounce companions I just stated it's nice to occasionally have games like IWD where we focus on gameplay and combat without silly companion interjections and drama.

Not every game needs to focus on companion drama and Mary Sue life stories.
And i didn't say that games with party creation are shit,just outdated. There is plenty of good games with hand drawing a map,doesn't mean that we should return to it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
if your game has full party creation just get rid of the other characters and make it a game with a single player character
How do you propose to recreate the experience of a F/M/C/T party with a single character, rusty?
stop trying to adapt a system intended to be played by multiple people to a game being played by one person?
That also applies to party-based RPGs with actual companions, you know?

Full party creation is necessary to have Lilura, Ontopoly, and Lacrymas in the same group, therefore I think it's pretty clear that's the best option by a mile.

Who'd have the horror or honor of being party member four?
The fourth slot is open, but usually Myzzrym fills it. Maybe this time I'll go with rusty. What class would you like to be, rusty_shackleford?
:nocountryforshitposters:
nigga You should make party out of the four horsemen of thread derailing,me,magnat,you and our dear vixen.....make him a gentle elf woman.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
my fully generated parties in wizardry 8 have more character and are better written than any premade trash out there with the sole exception of krondor

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom