Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

purpleblob

Savant
Didn't they say its coming early 2021? Now they've change it to later this year lol.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Time for the famous announcement of an announcement:

Wandering outdoors

Ho there, adventurers!

We know it has been a little while since we last sent an update, but we hope you will be okay with that because we have been working on some big things! Firstly, next week we will have a big announcement regarding the game. We can’t tell you what it is yet, but after the announcement you can expect a lot more regular updates from here on in, giving you even more insight into the content we are making as well as the all-important release plans too.

In the meantime here is a video that shows concept art of actual areas you can visit in Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness, with one of the wandering songs of the game as background music.

We will return next week - stay tuned!

Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-couriers-of-darkness/posts/3172952

What a blatant Michael Hoenig ripoff.

pm_675

Arbiter
New update and new UI

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-couriers-of-darkness/posts/3181881

A Glimpse At Our Updated UI

Ho there, adventurers!

On the back of our last update regarding our newfound partnership with V Publishing, we wanted to quickly showcase one element of the game we’ve been working on recently.

The original user interface of Black Geyser was influenced by many cRPG’s you’ve all played, and while feedback has been positive, in some cases it has been suggested it wasn’t quite unique enough. We’ve taken that feedback on board, and re-worked our UI to not only make it more original, but a lot more functional.

649036557a9d3d676999366d2ea91558_original.png

An early look at our updated UI
Some of the components such as the dialogue box have remained untouched, while other changes - such as central portraits and key action buttons - have been brought to the center.

Part of the reason for this is to not only focus the attention of the player, but to also ensure that important elements are within easy reach (such as Attack or Stop) and to generally tidy up the UI space.

This isn’t about rewriting the rule book, but it is about ensuring that the play experience is as comfortable as possible for those who only use a mouse, hotkeys or both.

149d70ab260da16362bca4ee01da3487_original.png

At its core, Black Geyser is faithful to the genre, but we also want to ensure that we’re carving our own path. Making small changes to the UI is just one of many ways we're doing things a little differently.

We look forward to your feedback on the new UI and we’ll be sharing some more in game shots very soon!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigranes

Arcane
"Some of you said that our UI is just a complete copy & paste of Pillars of Eternity, so let us show you our incredible overhaul"

Gargaune

Magister
"Some of you said that our UI is just a complete copy & paste of Pillars of Eternity, so let us show you our incredible overhaul"
This seems like an odd thing to be upset over. I care that a GUI is ergonomic and, preferably, pretty, why agonise over it resembling some other game's interface? Hell, might even be a benefit, you can hit the ground running and not waste time figuring out new data layouts.

Tigranes

Arcane
Tigranes Apparently much of the POE/BG UI is from the Unity asset store. There was discussion of it earlier in this thread I believe.

Interesting. I don't know why they'd claim to have made it 'more unique', though, because there's no way this doesn't look like POE.

This seems like an odd thing to be upset over. I care that a GUI is ergonomic and, preferably, pretty, why agonise over it resembling some other game's interface? Hell, might even be a benefit, you can hit the ground running and not waste time figuring out new data layouts.

I agree? If this thing ever comes out, the UI certainly won't be the problem.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No one has done good UI in an isometric RPG since BG2.
Tigranes Apparently much of the POE/BG UI is from the Unity asset store. There was discussion of it earlier in this thread I believe.
Yes! I've seen free Unity games using the same UI assets. I tried digging up screenshots some time back, but I couldn't.

BTW, this is a thing we could ask Grape Ocean about.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I wish more devs had the balls to make a solid ui with actual bars and character like in the IE games, with intricate decoration and actual details

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wish more devs had the balls to make a solid ui with actual bars and character like in the IE games, with intricate decoration and actual details
One reason they don't make UI like that any more is because they are trying to have it easily scalable accross screen resolutions. If you wanted to have a continuous UI that encircles the screen, you would have to prepare many pre-made textures for it and it would be much more work. A decent 2D artist and a programmer could spend 2-3 months just on getting the UI to fit all screen sizes and resolutions.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
One reason they don't make UI like that any more is because they are trying to have it easily scalable accross screen resolutions. If you wanted to have a continuous UI that encircles the screen, you would have to prepare many pre-made textures for it and it would be much more work. A decent 2D artist and a programmer could spend 2-3 months just on getting the UI to fit all screen sizes and resolutions.

Yep, I had the same problem when I was working on my own game. I decided to use a texture that could 'repeat' itself as a pattern the larger the resolution was. Not the most elegant way, but I am not a professional.

People also don't like vertical bars in the UI anymore due to widescreen monitors being standard now and the screen estate to move the mouse back and forth is too big for some people

Yosharian

Arcane
2-3 months really? I find that hard to believe

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Optimistic estimate. You can spend a LOT of time fiddling with that shit.

Which is why normally people compromise at some point. Or they have an UI they can copy.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Optimistic estimate. You can spend a LOT of time fiddling with that shit.

Which is why normally people compromise at some point. Or they have an UI they can copy.
Yeah, that's why I said "decent" artist and programmer :D Not someone who just now starts learning about how to do UI, which is the most common case in present day gamedev companies - they go "oh, it's the UI work, whatever" and give it to some junior-level guy. Just one of the consequences of agile development in games. We live in the future, our lives get better and better every day, yo.

Then you may want to add sounds to the buttons, which only makes sense if the buttons' textures resemble real life materials like stone or wood. BGII had different sounds for button pressing and depressing, which I always found very cool.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
So this game's still alive. I keep forgetting about it.

I'm mildly hopeful.

I do like the graphics for some reason.

Is it just me or does the building look like it was just placed on top of those stone tiles instead of the tiles being build around it?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Is it just me or does the building look like it was just placed on top of those stone tiles instead of the tiles being build around it?

Yep looks like it's hovering above slightly.
Yeah, I think the main problem for looking out of place is that it isn't aligned with those stone tiles. It looks like the tiles where put first and then someone dropped a house on top.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom