Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My impression is that the initial hype of the game being "the FNV clone made by Obsidian" has completely died down, and no one really cares about it at this point

Just as the wisest among us predicted long ago.

Despite all that normie teeheeing and cooing RN this game is not gonna have one tenth of the legs and long term presence PoE1 had. It's gonna be digested and shat out just like the cotton candy of a game that it it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They want to turn it into a franchise?

Poor sods, they don't realize the actual reason Outer Worlds sold well do they?

I guess Obsidian once thought Pillars of Eternity could be a franchise too.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game has now sold 3 million units. This is from the latest Take Two financial report.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Also the only good obsidian DLC was Honest Hearts, so considering the base game's quality and their track record with DLCs over the years I see no reason to be interested in it.

Honest Hearts was garbage, what are you on about?
15 minutes of Joshua Graham in the entire DLC don't elevate it to goodness.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
They aren't going to start a franchise with rookie numbers like this:
upload_2021-5-19_17-6-3.png

Hellraiser

Arcane
Also the only good obsidian DLC was Honest Hearts, so considering the base game's quality and their track record with DLCs over the years I see no reason to be interested in it.

Honest Hearts was garbage, what are you on about?
15 minutes of Joshua Graham in the entire DLC don't elevate it to goodness.

The location was interesting, the contents and premise the least retarded and most Fallout-like and most connected to the rest of the game, unlike other DLC (lobotomites? some asshole who stole the weapon from Freedom Force's Minuteman? Fucking ghostmen and fog?), and 15 minutes of Graham was enough.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The location was interesting, the contents and premise the least retarded and most Fallout-like and most connected to the rest of the game, unlike other DLC (lobotomites? some asshole who stole the weapon from Freedom Force's Minuteman? Fucking ghostmen and fog?), and 15 minutes of Graham was enough.

Eh, I suppose if you dislike the others so much then I suppose it makes sense.
But still, I found the location so boring after 5 minutes, the quests being nearly all about fetching something, and the setting not particularly interesting as it was mostly tribals killing each other.

Dead Money, on the other hand... that was fun.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
"Moving forward, Obsidian and Microsoft will be publishing future iterations in the franchise, and we're absolutely thrilled to see where they take it."

Well for starters you are going to have to add something more to the world than idiotically incompetent but amoral if not plain evil corporations who apparently have kill quotas vs optimistic left leaning idealists but who haven't exactly got a clue or incentive of their own to do anything of magnitude to rival or replace the corporations.

It's perfect... making a franchise out of a game that mocks corporate culture while also being made with money from one of the biggest corps in the world.

I think even Irony itself finds this one a little hard to explain, either we make it too easy or too stupid.

Zeriel

Arcane
It's perfect... making a franchise out of a game that mocks corporate culture while also being made with money from one of the biggest corps in the world.

It's totally non-threatening to said corporations. Hence why they endorse woke culture: corporations bad... but not the corporations we work for, those ones are great, and enlightened! Now unfortunately we're going to have to cut your benefits, pay, and vacation days in order to fund the new Chief Diversity Officer.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
3 million sales good or shit? Mostly giveaways?

It's all muddled in this day and age, TOW was on XB Pass, god only knows how many of those 3M copies are 1 dorra downloads from the Pass. I know I was one of them.

But regardless it seems the game did reasonably well any way you slice it. Problem is it was overhyped to all shit, it was marketed as the new New Vegas and people bought it. Apparently though most realized p. soon it's barely a pale shadow of New Vegas, that's why the hype died down fast and nobody talked about it a month after the launch.

TOW 2 will be a hilarious flop, just like PoE2 was.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The game was supposed to be the anti-Fallout 76. This was the reason of the initial interest and success after the train wreck of 76. Also trannies.

It's for the same reason that many cultures that had slavery had a special day when slave and master would reverse places. It's just to release the tension that had been build up for some time, so the slaves won't revolt.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
You just know they will make it a direct sequel with the same protagonist, save transfer and 15 minute pre-intro, followed by 10 minute intro and 15 minute post-intro. After the game flops Cain will complain on Twitter that he doesn't understand why TOW2 flopped.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom