Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I somehow missed that I didn't post it here - won JH on nightmare with Tech Blade, using 2 katanas - this build is incredibly resilent where you have Juggernaut lvl3, even exploding demons do only 3-5 damage, cleared everything and even CRI Labs with melee (they buffed CRI armor, heh).

Infinitum

Scholar
Rate my ascension kit:

Rings and amulets look subpar vs V, you want ever more evasion to avoid those big blows in my experience. I like 8 smithing and weaponsmith/artifice with quick study is nice for getting an artifact bow (with FA), masterpiece hammer and then bespoke sharp weapon but it's too late for that now obviously.

Good statspread, although I'm not a fan of big perception (concentrations's nice and all, but raw evasion moreso). Even with dodge 32 evasion probably isn't enough to stay in combat with V, I wouldn't risk trying to kill him (but then again whirlwind build used to be pretty good at abusing the ai, not a lot of experience with it mind). You probably want Saithnar/Anguriel when fighting V; sharpness counts for a lot vs his defense and every single source of evasion counts. Pretty sure Gundor > Aegnor for the same reason(also the extra strength is nice with rapid attack).

You should have enough experience for song of freedom when descending; get it. Remember V can easily slow you by singing unless you have 2+ sources of free action, and it also clears the pits and rubble. Good luck!

guys should i play linley's or dcss? never really played either.
DCSS is sorta weird since they keep trimming it back, but it's still pretty good. It's also arguably the best "Competitive" roguelike since it's pretty winnable if you know what you're doing, not ridiculously long, and doesn't have a ton of wildly good or bad RNG for the most part. All that's also why I don't play it much (Bitched in here semi-recently about them taking out satiation, even) but it does cater to a niche so when you're in the mood for it it gives you a fairly unique experience.

Do people here like caves of qud?
I love it, just been sitting on it for a year or two for more patching. Probably SHOULDN'T be waiting so long since I only got relatively far in the main quest once or twice so it's not like I desperately need that deeper content, but eh. Speaking of unique experiences though, Qud's up there. Nebulous to nail down but it feels like the pacing and rate of advancement is spot on for it. The jump in power you feel from finding a good piece of gear, getting a level, etc is really tangible, and the characters you can play in it are really varied and enjoyable while feeling more open than something like ToME. Qud's one of the closet roguelikes to feeling like a tabletop game system, if you catch my drift. Though it's better than Gamma World which would be the obvious comparison.

Major Seven

Educated
Patron
But what is even a roguelike?

Ok, I'll bite.

roguelike_chart.png

source

Jigby

Augur
Does it have stair dancing? NO? Well, you know what that means.

DJL0ynb.jpg
Into the iggybin you go!

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
the devs were furries

They are opressive fascists first and foremost, the rest is irrelevant.
If you can't enjoy art made by fascists than there is something wrong with you. Movies by Mishima and Zahler are some of my all time favorites. People who hate art because they don't like the creators politics are fuckin weird.
They went full retard and went as far as to ban Tzeench-man, demonize the Templars and blacklist anyone asking about "a mod to let you join them", cuz they're NAAAZIS!!! Plus add an immortal furry as one of the NPCs who's supposedly a friend of the devs.
They also fear the frog meme:

Y5tcYjj.png

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Thanks for the Rift Wizard recommendation, I think I just beat the game, I got a victory screen but the ending was weird, I seem to be dead and I'm not completely certain if I am really dead or if it's how the game ends, I was frozen, it seems, so it's possible that a couple of turns actually happened, while the boss does not appear on the map either so I'm not 100% sure, maybe we really just both died, every enemy had the Berserk status and it was his last life and his current hps were low so it's possible, I just had the impression from my last check that he was a couple of turns rather than only one from dying but maybe he got damaged by many crazy enemies, this last fight took me several hours so if I really just ended dying in the same moment or during the same turn as he did then it's quite funny.
This last fight was boring, not lacking tension anyway but very long, longer than the full game before it, maybe with other builds it can be more cool but as is I would have bad things to say about it, especially I'm not certain how it's doable without the Teleport spell to hunt for mana potions.

However, this last fight apart and it may only be my present experience, I think the game is very fun. You get exactly what's advertised and that you can see in any screenshot, no more, no less, don't expect a P&P-like character sheet or gameplay, the gameplay loop consists in choosing the next single screen map you're going to explore from several ones, knowing exactly what's there, you also choose where you start on the map. The goal is to clear the map of all the enemies. This while learning new spells, upgrades for each spell and general upgrades linked to spells using the 3 experience points you get in each levels. There are some, strong consumables, your build is directed just enough from a couple of pentacles which reduce by exactly 1 the xp cost of every spell and every upgrade from one school of spells if you spend the points here (and of course the discount is more relevant for an upgrade costing 1 instead of 2 than a spell you'll buy 5 instead of 6) and shrines which allow to add one special upgrade to some spells (it's single use but does not cost any XP).

Each spell comes with a set of charges, stronger spells, with less charges, and using a mana potion recharges all your spells to the max. The set of spells is huge and the upgrades (some banal but adding interesting choices anyway, and also many other less banal and very specific to one spell like this Soul Battery upgrade above for the Death Bolt) makes for an even bigger set of character building possibilites. Maybe there's a more clear pattern but I think some upgrades scale, like +50% charges, while other don't, like +2 charges, so some are more relevant either to a weaker or to a stronger spell while others not really, which is good.

The roster of enemies is good, all levels have some spawning points you need to break which is good because it forces you to be at least slightly agressive and the layout of a level may be very important depending on your spells, for example you can set balls which target every enemy in range, so the less walls the better.

The guy worked on Gears of war or some similar game before this one, I think, I really thought there was a web page dedicated to the game stating that but I can't find it anymore, anyway I am pretty glad he switched to this because it's a really competent work even with my little caveat about the last fight, the full formula feels fresh enough and the build feast is real. The scope of the game is clear and the game is nicely built around it, it's polished and well executed, if you're not interested by the premise of the game then you should probably pass your way because there's nothing else to find here but if you're interested in it then I think you'll like the game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom