Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Someone make a sequel for... type in yours

AdolfSatan

Arcane
For that matter, there's FO 1.5 and Nevada, both arguably better than FO2. ATOM's a great game, but there's something about it that doesn't feel FallOut-y despite all the obvious parallels.

I also want a sequel to Mashed, the best racing while shooting at each other game ever. Same systems, same jank, just give me more cars and tracks.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ELEX 2 has been pretty much revealed by now. I haven't found any first-hand proofs to present to you, but the talk about its development is all over the internet.
it's 100% coming but man i still would love to know. i know piranha's style about media and stuff. hopefully we see something in E3 next month. i wouldn't be surprised if there were only like 3-4 months of gap between announcement and release

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
For that matter, there's FO 1.5 and Nevada, both arguably better than FO2. ATOM's a great game, but there's something about it that doesn't feel FallOut-y despite all the obvious parallels.

I also want a sequel to Mashed, the best racing while shooting at each other game ever. Same systems, same jank, just give me more cars and tracks.
How could I not know about Nevada then? Wow, such project! Thanks!

Btw I used to do some minor work for the team that aimed to do another conversion: Fallout 2 Between Good And Evil. Sadly there were some issues within (prob. the families etc...) and the project has ended several years ago with, if I understand correctly, 3/4 of the assets completed.

I could see Xbox Game Pass bringing back a lot of those shorter arcade style games Sega did but moved away from in that 360/PS3 era of games.

Majesty. Majesty is funny because to me it feels like it solved the RTS on consoles problem. Oh, micromanaging units doesn't work on a controller? Well, we've eliminated that...and it turns out it works. Weirdly however neither game ever made it to a console. Majesty just seems like the kind of thing that'd do much better today too, seems like an easier pitch to an audience how than 12 and 21 years ago. I also can't remember there really being anything like it since those first two game, which is a shame. Wouldn't mind seeing a new War Wind, Dungeon Keeper, and Warzone 2100 either. Not sure now making units like in Warzone didn't just become the norm for RTS games when they moved into 3D. It'd be nice to get a Warcraft 4 that does what Warcraft 3 was originally going to do too.

I want a new 2D Heroes of Might and Magic. Was always surprised they never used UbiArt Framework to make one. I mean, I'm pretty sure the only reason they were even making them in 3D is because they thought it'd pull a larger audience; but HoM&M 6 and 7 come out and nobody gives a shit. Meanwhile, Ubisoft is showing of this new 2D engine, and people seem really interesting in the games being made with it (Rayman Origins, Child of Light, Valiant Hearts) on a visual level. I think if they'd of used that engine for a Heroes game it would've gotten far more attention (and maybe even have cost less) than any of them they've made since like 2010.

I love Fallout, and I can definitely see why someone would use the Wasteland license to make their version of Fallout given all the talk about it being an influence on Fallout. But it really seems like a big missed opportunity to not do anything in the vain of the original Wasteland. With stuff like Darkest Dungeon and traditional JRPs getting big again in the US over the last five years, this actually seems like a really good to bring things like Wizardry back; that is as along as they don't look like shit.

It's a shame AKI/syn Sophia seem to be under the impression they need a license to make those wrestling/fighting games they were once known for because I don't need a license there to play something like No Mercy or Def Jam Fight for NY. Hell, their wrestling games are what got me back into watching wrestling in the '90s.

Urban Reign and Breakdown. Two games made by Namco around the same time, and I believe both handled by people that also work on their fighting games. Breakdown was a weird FPS with the main focus being hand-to-hand fighting released on the original Xbox, didn't get much of a push, and I'm not sure many people even played it; but it's also got the best melee system in a FPS, it's basically first person Tekken. Urban Reign was the Tekken and Soul Calibur teams take on Def Jam Fight for NY. It's pretty specifically that style of full 3D movement fighting game, but for whatever stupid reason it got knocked as a bad beat 'em up by reviewers because it didn't have enough stages...which is kind of like reviewing WWF No Mercy as a bad beat 'em up because it only has eight shows to pick as stages.

Dragon's Crown. That game is so close to greatness it's kind of funny. As is, what it's trying to do can become a bit repetitive as time goes on. It also doesn't really impress upon you at the start how much it's not like a normal beat 'em up, and that you will end up needing a party to make your way through the dungeons unless you really want to grind...turns out the setting isn't just an aesthetic stroke. Funnily when I look at Darkest Dungeon I can't help but see things that were seemingly picked from Vanillaware games, (this one included) and it's funny because Darkest Dungeon does stuff this should have, which is also some stuff Odin Sphere did. Dungeons should have been randomized like Darkest Dungeon's were, and they should have worked like the "dungeons" in Odin Sphere did to make exploring them fun. The rest area meal spot should have just been areas in the stages like in DD and OD as opposed to between specific stages like Dragon's Crown did them. The town stuff would have worked better as some kind of management game that forces you to switch heroes as opposed to what they went with; it's almost weird they didn't do some kind of thing like this given getting new heroes is an aspect of the game.

Vanquish. There's an interview with Shinji Mikami that came out last year where he talks about the original version of Vanquish, which was basically the exact same game, but took place on giant maps and had RTS elements to it. So like there'd be a factor on the map that was actually producing the robots you're fighting and to stop them you'd have to take out the factory. I want that game. Doesn't even have to be Vanqhish 2, I just want him to make that game.

Here's some other things I don't so much as want a sequel to as I want something that plays like them:

- Full Spectrum Warrior
- Resident Evil 6
- Metal Gear Soild 4
- Mercenaries: Playground of Destuction
- Radical Entertaiment's Hulk Ultimate Destruction and Prototype
- Outwars
- Lost Planet 1 and 2
- Starhawk
- Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter (not necessarily the best FPS, but a FPS where you can seamlessly move being space combat and docking your spaceship onto some larger craft and having on foot fights was such a fun thing that it's weird you don't seen it more...or really much at all)

Also Star Wars: Battlefront 3. What Free Radical Design was doing with that game looked and sounded really cool. I don't even give a shit if it's Star Wars, I just want something like that.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
...Vanquish. There's an interview with Shinji Mikami that came out last year where he talks about the original version of Vanquish, which was basically the exact same game, but took place on giant maps and had RTS elements to it. So like there'd be a factor on the map that was actually producing the robots you're fighting and to stop them you'd have to take out the factory. I want that game. Doesn't even have to be Vanqhish 2, I just want him to make that game...
What was good about Vanquish? I found it pretty ok game to play, but failed to find a passion for it. But maybe I just misunderstood - many people talk about it as it were a legend.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Arcanum
Deus Ex
and/or Thief (one that follows that quintessential design philosophy of old more closely, kinda like Prey)
Red Faction: Guerrilla (or a true successor to what they were going for)
Duke Nukem 3D (an entry that's neither a Call of Duty clone nor a lazily made Arena Shooter)
Alpha Protocol (written by Brian Mitsoda, no less)

Edit: bad, bad misspelling(s)

Last edited:
Freedom Force 3.

It's weird this never happen.

Freedom Force 3 is one of those things that feels like it should have happened between the two BioShock games Irrational Games did. Post BioShock, post Dark Knight and Iron Man, and post Raven Software doing those X-Men games and Marvel Ultimate Alliance...I think a Freedom Force 3 could've hit much bigger than the first two on PC did. Those Freedom Force games came at a pretty bad time for PC games too. After that second BioShock game they made, when they wanted to do something smaller, would have been a good time for it too.

Freedom Force sold around 400,000 copies in its first year of release. FFvtTR sold around 40,000 copies in its first year of release. There was zero chance of FF3 getting made with those numbers.

Post-BioShock, with Irrational Games becoming a high profile studio, I think it could've sold really well. How well the previous games did wouldn't have mattered because whatever Irrational did after BioShock would have been a high profile game with lots of coverage around it. Also, with the kind of leeway Take-Two and 2K have given Irrational/Ghost Story I wouldn't be that surprised if they had allowed them to do another Freedom Force if they really wanted to do that...anyways, PC gaming was as dead as dead when FFvt3R came out for basically everything that wasn't World of Warcraft.

Also, look at XCOM. Series was never really big, and it hadn't been much of a thing since the '90s. Still, 2K was going to let Irrational bring it back with a big FPS because that's what they wanted to do, while also having Firaxis do a new turn based on.

I'm not saying I expected it or anything. But a known Irrational Games, selling a superhero game in a time when superhero movies were really taking off in a big way wouldn't have had the same problems selling Freedom Force they did years earlier.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Arcanum
Deus Ex
and/or Thief (one that follows that quitessencial design philosophy of old more closely, kinda like Prey)
Red Faction: Guerrilla (or a true sucessor to what they were going for)
Duke Nukem 3D (an entry that's neither a Call of Duty clone nor a lazily made Arena Shooter)
Alpha Protocol (written by Brian Mitsoda, no less)
We actually have *very small amount* of System Shock 2, Deus Ex and Prey games. I think that's about it, actually. All other games (BioShocks, Thief, Dishonoreds etc...) are touching "it" to some degree, but are not really "it". They aim for something different. Is this even possible? Do people not play such games they are not made in plethora? I hold RPGs and FPS RPGs like SS2 or Prey in the highest regard. For me it's a crown of high-spirited playing. The pinnacle, the master-art of blending a good book and a game-play. Now I'm not saying things like Crash Bandicoot are not good games :D Not at all. Neither I wish to say they are "lesser" or something. No, not my intent.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Need a sequel to BLOOD at some pooint lmao
Again, hossana, my good sir. Not that there are any sequels to Blood itself I know of, but these few last years a Bag of Holding bursted with retro FPS genre or something :D ...Ion Fury, Wrath: Aeon of Ruin, Graven, Hedon, Prodeus... and then some.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
...Vanquish. There's an interview with Shinji Mikami that came out last year where he talks about the original version of Vanquish, which was basically the exact same game, but took place on giant maps and had RTS elements to it. So like there'd be a factor on the map that was actually producing the robots you're fighting and to stop them you'd have to take out the factory. I want that game. Doesn't even have to be Vanqhish 2, I just want him to make that game...
What was good about Vanquish? I found it pretty ok game to play, but failed to find a passion for it. But maybe I just misunderstood - many people talk about it as it were a legend.
The condition of when it was released count too. Back then in console market you can only find generic gears of war popamole. Vanquish came out and it turn the cover shooter formula into something more akin to max payne, with stylish presentation and design. Combined with platinum's reputation with bayonetta, it quickly became cult classicm. It swayed a lot of people tired of generic shooter in consoles. Sadly it isn't enough becuase it remain just a cult classic instead of actual commercial success.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
The condition of when it was released count too. Back then in console market you can only find generic gears of war popamole. Vanquish came out and it turn the cover shooter formula into something more akin to max payne, with stylish presentation and design. Combined with platinum's reputation with bayonetta, it quickly became cult classicm. It swayed a lot of people tired of generic shooter in consoles. Sadly it isn't enough becuase it remain just a cult classic instead of actual commercial success.
Thanks. I must give it a few more hours of try again then.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Nox

Stunt Island was a flight sim but you had to perform challenging stunts in various planes.

Panza Kickboxing / Best of the Best
This fighting game had a genius control method! Also instead of different characters you make your own character and assign whatever moves you want from a big library of moves.

Would also love to see a new Privateer, Stalker, Terranova, Syndicate, EverQuest, Command & Conquer, SWAT 5, Carrier Command. Also Dune! And not the RTS, the original which was like an adventure game that turned into an RTS.

Also this was the OG Team Fortress and best.

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Btw I used to do some minor work for the team that aimed to do another conversion: Fallout 2 Between Good And Evil. Sadly there were some issues within (prob. the families etc...) and the project has ended several years ago with, if I understand correctly, 3/4 of the assets completed.
Nevada suffers a bit from being too big and a flaky main quest, but there are some very memorable quests and moments, make sure you don't miss it.
From what I recall reading, BGAE was too ambitious for its own good and doomed from the beginning. A shame because it looked cool as hell.

1. Quake 1
  2. Legacy of Kain
  3. Arx Fatalis
  4. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
  5. World of Warcraft
  6. Isometric Fallout sequel
How do you imagine a WoW2?

I haven't played WoW since a couple years after it first came out, I quit right before the first expansion (Burning Crusade).

The visuals have to look like total shit nowadays, though I know that Blizzard has touched them up over the years.

A sequel would have to begin with a total graphic overhaul, and go from there.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Nevada suffers a bit from being too big and a flaky main quest, but there are some very memorable quests and moments, make sure you don't miss it.
From what I recall reading, BGAE was too ambitious for its own good and doomed from the beginning. A shame because it looked cool as hell.
You could say that I guess. We (if I can call myself a proper team member at all) used to be 10 people or less, some of these working their asses off. I don't recall the exact reasons, but I think it was something along the lines of loosing some of the lead workers to the life in the waking world, and the rest just didn't want to exhaust themselves to death, slowly drifting away.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom