Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fabled Lands now available on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Fabled Lands; Prime Games

Back in 2020 we reported about an upcoming title called Fabled Lands, a digital adaptation of the 1990s gamebook series of the same name by Bulgarian indie studio Prime Games. A year later, after fourteen development updates and two Steam Game Festival demos, the game has entered Early Access. Here's the launch trailer and an excerpt from the Early Access FAQ:

Why Early Access?

This game is a tribute to old-school pen & paper RPGs and the era of solo adventures. It is based on a fantastic series from our childhood which we adore. Thus we want to make the Fabled Lands digital adaptation the best game it can be, and we know that working with our community and listening to players' suggestions during Early Access will be key to achieve this.

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

Since there are only two of us, (a sole developer and an artist) it is difficult to accurately estimate how long Early Access will last. Fabled Lands has been developed for 2 years now and we have always used a decidedly open development process from the start.

Our current plan is to release Fabled Lands sometime in 2022. The date will be very much dependent on how we progress with content creation, as well as on the addition and improvement of features based on player feedback.

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
The final version of Fabled Lands will feature all four areas on the main continent of Harkuna completed and added to the base game. We plan to extend the content with more quests, new locations, populate the world with new enemy types, add more trade routes, improve the AI and add new visuals & sounds effects. New items, skills, and Achievements will also be introduced.

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

The core aim of this game is to have a unique narrative approach at delivering a solo experience that feels like a well thought pen & paper RPG session with the game taking the role of a DM.

Players can already play 6 character professions up to rank 10, as well as access the first two big areas from the main continent, the kingdom of Sokara and the The Great Steppes of the North.

All of the game's core features are integrated: exploration, combat, items, sailing, active and passive skills, resurrection deals, blessings, potions, tutorials, ironman mode, everything is there.

Nevertheless, players will only have access to 2 books of the story (out of 7) for now, which represents an experience of 12 hours of content (per a successful playthrough once you know the game, unlocking all 40 objectives).

However, the gameplay loop is complete: Players can embark on an adventure, complete quests, defeat monsters, find loot, gain rank, improve their skills.

Despite our best efforts, the game probably still has some bugs. Also, skills, items and enemies most likely lack proper balancing.

The Fabled Lands Early Access release is available on Steam for $15 with a 15% launch discount until next week. That's pretty cheap, but as you can see it's a pretty low budget thing. Perhaps one of our resident fans of the original gamebook series can tell us how it is.

Alter Sack

Magister
Well, the battle system seems to be relative simple at first look.

Also no party?

Meh, can't really understand the mostly positive reception.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
If you're into gamebooks I really recommend 'Heart of Ice' by the author of 'Fabled Lands'. Great attention to detail and a gripping story!

Andhaira

Arcane
I never liked these particular gamebooks, though I really enjoyed Lone Wolf & Fighting Fantasy. One of the reasons was no real spell lists; being a mage just meant you had points in a skill.

Also the P&P RPG that came out for it in 2011 was really ho-hum; unlike the Advanced Fighting Fantasy RPG I & II which is stil going strong and is quite good; the Lone Wolf RPGs (still going, though Dever's death kind of put the license into limbo)

Anyway...I want to support what the dev is doing so paid and downloaded; gonna try it out. Not going to compare to the upcoming 'Play as a Mage' game that's coming up (can't recall its name ATM) but seems like it will be great!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Also no party?

You think any person who has to play a gamebook by themselves would have the tolerance to put up with managing an entire party's worth of characters and a lot of complex math and dice rolling? :hmmm:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Also no party?

You think any person who has to play a gamebook by themselves would have the tolerance to put up with managing an entire party's worth of characters and a lot of complex math and dice rolling? :hmmm:
The only gamebook with a party I played was the Bllood Sword serie. It even had mini combat grid with NPC behaviour rules.

Fabled Lands was impressive as it was like an gamebook version of Elder Scrolls.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The only gamebook with a party I played was the Bllood Sword serie. It even had mini combat grid with NPC behaviour rules.

The book series differed from many of the Fighting Fantasy and Choose Your Own Adventure type books of the era by being designed for multi-player, co-operative play (though there was also a single-player option, and one player could control more than one character at a time).

That explains that. :M

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I have the first book and "played" it for some time. I would have loved something like that when I was very young, but now I've been spoiled by computer games doing all the math and book-keeping for me, I can't really be bothered. This looks interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom