Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Marginally related, but I still suspect the the whole Illithid-magical-tadpole thing will turn out to be more about some weird forgotten God's plot to return/raise to relevance than the squids themselves.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
KoTC2 are extremely powerful too. For example, monks at max level can deal 5 attacks per round with flurry of blows, each one doing 3d8 damage. If he has +6 STR which a monk sould have at this level even without magical enchantment, he would dish 15 (d8 + 6) damage in a single round or 157.5 average damage( 15 * [4.5 + 6] ).
Isn't Chalice a faithful adaptation of 3.5? Are you really arguing that monks in 3.5 are strong, or at least stronger than their 5E version?

Nope. KoTC 1/2 is inspired on 3rd edition OGL, but has a lot of differences. On 3.5E, monks are far stronger than on 5E, but on KoTC, they are even stronger. I played a bit of NWN1 PvP and Monks are probably the deadliest enemies. They are just too fast and before you can cast any spell against his extremely high SR, he will knock down your in the ground. CoDzillas and other martial classes are cakewalks. I generally need to cast a lot of buffs + tenser's transformation and engage then on melee. That is the best strategy against then. And then often try to disarm you and keep try to knocking you down.

Can necromancer at level 1 cast Epic Ray of Necromancy which deals 1293d81 damage and can one shot ELDER DRAGON GODS and summon 48d56 Greater Power Liches per level which is a CR9001 monster (like on Liches & Necromancers R E T U R N I N G 2.0)? If yes, game is awesome. If no, game is shit and necromancer is NERFED even worse than warlock on NWN2.

Nope. Unless we are talking about a God of necromancy, he should't be OHKilling "elder dragon Gods". A lv 1 necromancer should't be able to outDPS a mere lv 0 crossbowman. Let alone have OHK spells. OHK spells needs to be tier 6+ only available to MID level necromancers.

As for returning 2.0, a mod for gothic 2, it is not a game about power fantasy. Took me 14 hours to become a necromancer in that game, is a long quest to be accepted into the circle of darkness, and you need to do a lot of intellectual stuff to raise your int(reading books, alchemy, learning languages, you can't train your INT) and spells are very expensive. To make a circle 1 arrow of darkness, you need a black pearl among other things. There are no OHK spells and summons constantly drain your mana. Demons often refuse to obey you and stay stationary only draining your mana. They on earlier paths attack you if you lose control over then, but it was removed due bugs.

I recommend to watch this video before judging necromancy on Gothic 2 - Returning.

No wonder, WOTR with its extremely bloated class system and hyper epic legendary classes is your number one. Story and writing are extremely amateurish and childish in PF. Yeah, experimenting with builds is fun, but other aspects are very far away from what I would call a good RPG

As I've said :
I love PF:WoTR as a power fantasy.
I love KoTC as a tactical game.

Both are "3Esque" games but completely different on the appeal. And I disagree about the writing. I enjoyed the writing so far.

The same applies to sorcerers, wizards, mage knights, druids, clerics, psionicists, bard, and warlocks.

Yep. Sorc is a Wiz/Cleric hybrid on kotc2. And Warlocks are a Psion/Wiz hybrid. "Warlocks are wizards who have also developed innate psionic abilities" https://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/Pages/FWE_Warlock.htm

Last edited:

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
"Isn't Chalice a faithful adaptation of 3.5?"

No. But, it's closer than most. And, it does have the type of spirit and udnerstanding.

And, stop saying '3.5'. That just dumb. It is 3rd edition. Period.
KotC is based off of 3.5 Edition D&D. Why are you hung up on that fact?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The same applies to sorcerers, wizards, mage knights, druids, clerics, psionicists, bard, and warlocks.
How are they differentiating between mages and sorcerers? The system is basically the same for both.

How are they differentiating between mages and sorcerers? The system is basically the same for both.
I think sorcerers can use way more spells between rests but with far less variety of them available?
(That, and they are charisma-based).

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>How are they differentiating between mages and sorcerers?
Sorcerers get access to both the cleric spell list and wizard list - both at full progression. Sorcerer is also able to qualify for transformation. Unlike other games, in Chalice, moons are what give you power. Attuning yourself to a moon unlocks a transformation which acts as an ascension for your character. Wizards only get access to one spell list; but are given more spell specialization feats. They also qualify for transformations. Warlocks get access to the wizard and psionics spell list - full progression. They don't qualify for transformations. Unlike the psionicists they don't get specialization feats. There's more. You can read about it here.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I think sorcerers can use way more spells between rests but with far less variety of them available?

I will create a thread about it. Explaining all differences. For now,

"Sorcerers are spellcasters of unsurpassed brilliance. Such is the extent of their knowledge that they have access to both the divine and arcane magic domains." https://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/Pages/FWE_Sorcerer.htm

EDIT : Here is the topic > https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ocks-wizards-on-kotc2-and-3rd-edition.138616/

Please lets discuss KoTC2 there.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
So how does it work now? I recall that using the curse option on LK was tied to romancing Nyrissa.
If you execute Nyrissa, LK gets his panties in a twist over you ruining his prank and fucks up your kingdom so you gotta fight 'im. Admittedly, you don't actually kill him, you just beat him, and then he offers you a job or you can tell him to go fuck himself somewhere else.

hell bovine

Arcane
So how does it work now? I recall that using the curse option on LK was tied to romancing Nyrissa.
If you execute Nyrissa, LK gets his panties in a twist over you ruining his prank and fucks up your kingdom so you gotta fight 'im. Admittedly, you don't actually kill him, you just beat him, and then he offers you a job or you can tell him to go fuck himself somewhere else.
Eh, so it's still the same. You don't get to kill him, unless you romance the green.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
“Romancing” (the Romans would have nothing to do with that sort of thing) Nyrissa was a minor and difficult to attain Easter Egg.

Yes, there’s a small chance you can help a woman recover from the damage the modern world has done to them all (which the main P:K storyline beautifully illustrates) but best not to plan your life, or your kingdom, around it.

Gargaune

Magister
“Romancing” (the Romans would have nothing to do with that sort of thing) Nyrissa was a minor and difficult to attain Easter Egg.
I think Owlcat stated it to be the "true ending", actually. But hey, WotC decided the Bhaalspawn declining divinity like a sap was the canon ending to ToB, it doesn't change the fact that the evil ascension is the most coherent conclusion to the campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom