Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Linzi was first companion in any game i actrually wanted to kill.

Killing some times is too good. I used Imprisonment on Hexxat.

Color of dress.

As I've said on the topic about KoTC 2 https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ocks-wizards-on-kotc2-and-3rd-edition.138616/

Armoured Casting: You avoid the spell failure chance when casting spells with a somatic component while wearing armour of a category that you are proficient with. Requires: Light Armour Proficiency. So Warlocks can cast spells and psionics in armor. And on 5e, there are no spell casting failure on armor.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
“Romancing” (the Romans would have nothing to do with that sort of thing) Nyrissa was a minor and difficult to attain Easter Egg.
I got this option on my first playthrough, didn't even know it was in the game. I actually thought researching the curses was going to yield a secret weapon against the villain, or something. Should have known better considering the other "romances" in the game.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Larianshill

Arbiter
Just say why do you think that monks on 5E are better than 3E. I an really curious...
First of all, some people say that Monks are weak in 5E, or at least are on the weaker side of things. I am not one of those retards, but I am not here to defend 5E monk. I am here to remind everyone why monk in 3.5 is utter trash.

1) Monk suffers from multiple ability dependancy. Monk needs STR, DEX, CON and WIS. While monk seemingly can pick up Weapon Finese to get rid of Strength, not only you're very hungry for feats as a martial, Finese also only allows you to add DEX to attack rolls, not damage rolls. There technically are ways to get around that, but more on that later.
In 5E, he needs only three of those, just like paladin.

2) Monk does not have full BAB, and is the only martial class to not have full BAB. That makes it difficult to hit people.
In 5E, Monk is as good as Fighter in hitting people, because there is no BAB.

3) Did you know that Flurry of Blows fucking sucks? Not only it applies an attack roll penalty (and you are not great at hitting people already, because of partial BAB), it also demands that you make a full attack first. A full attack demands that you don't move that round, unless it's a 5-foot step. Monk is supposed to be a skirmisher, this is certainly implied by his increased speed, and the fact that he really can't take punishment thanks to his low AC and less than amazing HP. But Flurry of Blows demands that he remains in the enemy's face. There are technically ways around that, but more on that later.
There are no such restrictions on making multiple attacks in 5E.

4) Did you know that Monk can't multiclass? Multiclassing is a common way to get around your shortcomings as class (and boy, does Monk have shortcomings), but Monk can't indulge in it. Because of this.
Like a member of any other class, a monk may be a multiclass character, but multiclass monks face a special restriction. A monk who gains a new class or (if already multiclass) raises another class by a level may never again raise her monk level, though she retains all her monk abilities.
There are no such restrictions in 5E.

5) Did you know that martials love Pounce? Pounce is a special quality that allows you to move and make a full attack in the same round. The easiest and most common way to get it is to multiclass into Lion Totem Barbarian. Almost every martial build mutlclasses into it for one level. But not only that is quite difficult because of the above, but... Did you know that Monk and Barbarian have mutually exclusive alignment restrictions?
There are no such restrictions in 5E, but then again, Monk doesn't really even need to multiclass into anything.

6) Did you know that dex martials love Shadowblade? Shadowblade is a special feat that allows you to add DEX to your damage, if you're in a Shadow Hand stance. You can blow feats on meeting the requirements, or you can take a Swordsage multiclass to... Oh. Oh no.
Monk already gets DEX to damage in 5e.

I could go on. But I think I've made my point.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Linzi was first companion in any game i actrually wanted to kill.

Not the first for me. But definitely one of them.
I even tried leaving her with the technic league, but she still comes back in chapter 2.

My memory's hazy, but I can't recall Linzi having anything to do with the Technic League. Surely you mean Octavia?
in the second secret ending you discover that linzi
had nothing to do with technic league, yes

Poseidon00

Arcane
Low IQ individuals are not allowed to respond to my posts.

Everything you said was wrong but by far the worst was that monks have low AC. Lol they have one of the best AC potentials of any martial class and are easily augmented by party members even at low levels. You obviously don't know what you're talking about

deuxhero

Arcane
Just say why do you think that monks on 5E are better than 3E. I an really curious...
First of all, some people say that Monks are weak in 5E, or at least are on the weaker side of things. I am not one of those retards, but I am not here to defend 5E monk. I am here to remind everyone why monk in 3.5 is utter trash.

1) Monk suffers from multiple ability dependancy. Monk needs STR, DEX, CON and WIS. While monk seemingly can pick up Weapon Finese to get rid of Strength, not only you're very hungry for feats as a martial, Finese also only allows you to add DEX to attack rolls, not damage rolls. There technically are ways to get around that, but more on that later.
In 5E, he needs only three of those, just like paladin.
2) Monk does not have full BAB, and is the only martial class to not have full BAB. That makes it difficult to hit people.
In 5E, Monk is as good as Fighter in hitting people, because there is no BAB.
3) Did you know that Flurry of Blows fucking sucks? Not only it applies an attack roll penalty (and you are not great at hitting people already, because of partial BAB), it also demands that you make a full attack first. A full attack demands that you don't move that round, unless it's a 5-foot step. Monk is supposed to be a skirmisher, this is certainly implied by his increased speed, and the fact that he really can't take punishment thanks to his low AC and less than amazing HP. But Flurry of Blows demands that he remains in the enemy's face. There are technically ways around that, but more on that later.
There are no such restrictions on making multiple attacks in 5E.
4) Did you know that Monk can't multiclass? Multiclassing is a common way to get around your shortcomings as class (and boy, does Monk have shortcomings), but Monk can't indulge in it. Because of this.
Like a member of any other class, a monk may be a multiclass character, but multiclass monks face a special restriction. A monk who gains a new class or (if already multiclass) raises another class by a level may never again raise her monk level, though she retains all her monk abilities.
There are no such restrictions in 5E.
5) Did you know that martials love Pounce? Pounce is a special quality that allows you to move and make a full attack in the same round. The easiest and most common way to get it is to multiclass into Lion Totem Barbarian. Almost every martial build mutlclasses into it for one level. But not only that is quite difficult because of the above, but... Did you know that Monk and Barbarian have mutually exclusive alignment restrictions?
There are no such restrictions in 5E, but then again, Monk doesn't really even need to multiclass into anything.
6) Did you know that dex martials love Shadowblade? Shadowblade is a special feat that allows you to add DEX to your damage, if you're in a Shadow Hand stance. You can blow feats on meeting the requirements, or you can take a Swordsage multiclass to... Oh. Oh no.
Monk already gets DEX to damage in 5e.

I could go on. But I think I've made my point.

You got most of the issues, but you missed one big one: Amulet of Mighty Fists costs more than magic weapons. For monsters, animal companions, and characters that focus on natural attacks (non-core only for that last one) this is fine since it will enhance every natural attack a character has at once. For monk, who is only enhancing one natural attack, he is paying a premium for no gain. Savage Species (considered among one of the worst designed and most busted books in 3E) fixes this by introducing the confusingly named Necklace of Natural Attacks which boosts only a single natural attack (and is therefore worse at improving natural attacks and better at making fists mighty than amulet of mighty fists). Even with this obscure magic item from a questionable source in, it's still taking up the popular necklace slot.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Everything you said was wrong but by far the worst was that monks have low AC. Lol they have one of the best AC potentials of any martial class and are easily augmented by party members even at low levels. You obviously don't know what you're talking about

You're welcome to refute my points, one by one. Can you do it, or will you continue flapping your mouth like a retard you are?
You got most of the issues, but you missed one big one: Amulet of Mighty Fists costs more than magic weapons.
I really don't want to get into the magic items issue.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Amazing post. I confess that I was wrong and only looked into "unarmed damage". I wanna see the toughs of a Monk player like Pink Eye.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Look at it this way. A 20th level barbarian can Rage a lot with excellent hp, a 20th level Rogue is really good at finding traps and backstabbing, and a 20th level Fighter has a hell of a lot of hit points and feats. A 20th level monk becomes an extra planar creature and is immune to a vast array of spells, effects, some physical damage, has a lot of hit points, can be your trap finder or stealthy scout, can do more damage with his hands than just about anything in the game, dual wield with no problems, is given a variety of free feats, has flawless saving throws, can perform trip lockdown or spell caster assassination or do the insane jump kick build that attacks from across the room. It performs a variety of roles like some other classes only it does them all very well and without dying.

Monks can multiclass, that's a stupid way to interpret that rule. Can't multiclass after you spec into monk, unless you are using certain books or settings. Many olskoo op builds relied on this

Extra attacks are almost always worth a minor penalty to AB unless you only have a 10-15% chance to hit already.

AB is the only thing a monk really wants more of out of its base class and that is probably one of the easiest things to buff, from a large list of cleric spells/potions and druid spells/potions and bard spells to, obviously, a variety of magic equipment.

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
One thing not talked about a lot is that stat dependency is a double edged sword. It hurts you until you have the resources to spend enhancing all your stats, and then it simply becomes more ways to buff your character.

A single Owl's Insight is a game changer for a monk. All of a sudden you could be looking at an +8-12 boost to Wisdom for an hour, more than enough to get by any battle, enhancing your AC but also your Stunning Blows and Quivering Palm. And since you are armorless your Dexterity AC bonus is also limitless. You can have your AC to the moon before you even think about touching AC enhancing equipment, as long as you are playing DnD as a party based game.

I am a DnD build autist so I can talk about this stuff all day. Who has any good bard builds?

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Monk suffers from multiple ability dependancy. Monk needs STR, DEX, CON and WIS.
Your post is very correct, but I do have to say that I love the fact that the Monk is dependent on so many stats. It makes for a challenge, and it discourages literally everyone to have at it.

I've played many sessions where I've had glances thrown my way, due to my pick of class. It's okay. I keep my head low, and I do my thing. No one seems to mind.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"KotC is based off of 3.5 Edition D&D. Why are you hung up on that fact?"

Idiots try to push 3.5 like a whole different edition when it is just 3E with a handful of changed/updated rules. It is an errata not a whole new thing. LMAO

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
"KotC is based off of 3.5 Edition D&D. Why are you hung up on that fact?"

Idiots try to push 3.5 like a whole different edition when it is just 3E with a handful of changed/updated rules. It is an errata not a whole new thing. LMAO
not sure why so many people like 3.5e or 3e so much. it's basically just overcomplication to satisfy player dopamine. most skills are just +# to x. most weapons are just +# <material type> <weapon type>.

Sure, it makes low-level campaigns a bit more complex, but I don't feel like it added anything substantial or positive to D&D beyond that.

And 5e is basically 3e, but pozzed and dumbed down.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Why are you spamming at me? You quoted me yet didn't reply to what I wrote. I was not talking about quality or lack of quality. Are you retartet? Oh yeah, you are a Codexer. Of course you are.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Why are you spamming at me? You quoted me yet didn't reply to what I wrote. I was not talking about quality or lack of quality. Are you retartet? Oh yeah, you are a Codexer. Of course you are.
I see you're still as spergy as ever, Volourn. Never change. :M

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And 5e is basically 3e, but pozzed and dumbed down.

5E is vastly different than 3E. Classes like Warlocks are completely different in the two editions, mechanics like resting are completely different and the CR of enemies is also completely different. Everything is different. Spells, resting, abilities, saves, armor, proeficiencies, save DC's, monster stats and abilities(...)

Larianshill

Arbiter
I am a DnD build autist so I can talk about this stuff all day.
Oh, you are. Tell me, as a DnD build autist, are you familiar with JaronK's class tier list? It's a universally accepted amongst optimizers list that divides every base class into 6 categories, with tier 1 being the top tier, and tier 5 being the bottom one as far as classes anyone actually plays are concerned. Monk occupies the latter.
It's very adorable that monk can do jump kicks across the room at level 20, but that stopped being relevant quite a while ago - on level 20, casters have infinite clones on their private demiplanes. You're saying "can do more damage with his hands than just about anything in the game"? At level 5, Warshaper can kill anything in the game in one turn, as long as he can potentially hit the Armor Class. You're saying that monk can be a stealthy scout and a trapfinder? That role is made obsolete by some extremely basic spells. Monk has high attack bonus from all the spells that's been cast on him? That's great. Wizard could also use those spellslots on himself, and achieve far more than monk could ever do. Monk can trip? Horizon Walker can do it a thousand times better, without any spells whatsoever or a single magic item - or a single splatbook being used for character building.
You can give monk all the magic items and spells in the world, but in the end, it's like putting a lipstick on a pig.

It's not too late to apologize for claiming that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Nice point. Also, the games which monk players like Pink Eye seems to like are based on 3E monks but vastly improved. Example? Pathfinder Kingmaker which uses the Unchained monk and KoTC2 monk. Ki powers are quite interesting.

On 2E and on retroclones, monks was better. I talked about finger of death which magic users can get at lv 13 but monks on Swords & Wizardry, monks could get a OHK punch of death at lv 13. At lv 20, they have -3[22] AC(descending/ascending ac. For comparison, Orcus has -6[25] AC) and monks can deals 5 attacks per round, each one dishing 4d8+8 damage. In a game where even Dragons rarely reach 3 digit hp. They also keep gaining hit dices till lv 16, while fighters stop gaining hit dices on lv 9. I never played S&W as a monk, nor had any party member which plays as one, but I saw some people on Frog God discord complaining about then being OP. Monks also get a lot of RP abilities, just like the magic user gets to build a magic tower at lv 11, he gets to build a monastery at lv 11. Gets self healing abilities, immunity to charm, dominate, extremely fast speed and etc, deflect missiles(including spell missiles) and so on. Monks also get titles. On lv 16 they are considered "Gran Masters".

IMO Swen could bring this abilities from old school monks back to this 5E game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom