Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I see lots of people playing the "Learn" mechanic, but I'm still on the fence about how "good" it is. I can usually just power through a person spamming "learn" spells and defeat them.
depends on deck really. Its nice that you can fetch whatever you need in given situation. Usually that is limited to tutor land/removal/spawn creatures.
Works ok in wizardry package, cant say its op in constructed.
Limited is different beast though, mastering them is crucial

I could see "learn" being fantastic in limited. Any time you can get a card advantage on a person in limited its good.

Last time I played limited was around 2016. I enjoyed the FNM drafts at the card shop. It might be fun to try those again if I can find a proper non-woke card shop.

Last edited:

Newfag-er

Liturgist
Learn has seen play in Naya Winota also I have seen some green black decks using various pest summoning cards

Tho the mechanics itself isn't the center focus of the deck. Having a learn sideboard does have upside especially in best of 1

In my opinion they could've powered up the mechanics more. This mechanic is way more interesting then adventure

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
thassa biggest issue was 'or equals' part of phrase. Invalidated so many answers.

almost singleton deck and yet its so consistent. Also got somewhere in their deck answer to everything possible. I had one matchup with my discard heavy deck when I managed to take opponent down to 10 cards. Still managed to resolve combo eventually.

Its cool they keep pact. I like the idea behind this as a tutor. Also muh wildcards

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I saw some comments that its still turn 4 win:
- round 3, opponent end step fire pact and leave 1 card in library
- play and fire jace

basically forces you to have instant speed walker removal... which might not be that easy with Jace packing 5 loyality as his ability is put on stack. For example vraska contempt is 4 mana, too slow if you are on the draw. Most infuriating thing is how oracle-pact deck puts crucial pieces in sideboard too, making it impossible to remove with stuff like ego. Jace is also wishable while oracle wasnt.
Ashiok erasure could work but it is a bit too slow now. Just carry counterspells I guess
Ashiok dream render would be quite fine if not for enemy searching their sideboard too.

Basically just play historic rogues and you will be fine
EDIT: hmmm... havent played proper dimir control in a while. Rogues spoiled me

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
n other news strixhaven brawl(end of may) will award claim the 1stborn, best looking jap art in my view
you didnt hear it from me but many jap alt arts look good, obviously no reason to get them since you shouldnt be playing them anyway
brawl will also offer adventurous impulse, weird art for green, like if artist thought he is doing black or black/green

Jason Liang

Arcane
The deck loses Lurrus with Jace. Also casting Jace consistently on turn 4 puts a lot of restrictions on the mana base.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
The deck loses Lurrus with Jace. Also casting Jace consistently on turn 4 puts a lot of restrictions on the mana base.
thats why it sounds more fair and why I was hoping for only oracle ban to see where people take this

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
they add spider queen in and then... its this?
Lolth-Spider-Queen-AFR-672.jpg

seem weak for 5 mana cost

Gyor

Savant
AFR Legendary Creature Drizzt has been reveal, he costs a green, white, and 3 colourless mana, and he has double strike, etb gets you a legendary 4/1 token of his cat Gwen, and when a creature dies, if ut had greater power then drizzt, add the difference to Drizzt in 1/1 counters.

Lolth is revealed as well as a PLANESWALKERA, she has card draw at the cost of life for zero, -3 to create 2 spider tokens with menace and reach, and her -8 is an emblem that when you deal combat damage to an opponent, if the total damage is less then 8, add the difference to the the damage.

Battlehammer is a Dwarf Warrior that grants +2 power to equpited creatures. He can also use equipt for zero mana.

Bara

Arcane
Why is Lolth a planeswalker and Tiamat isn't when they're both gods?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Lolth being a planeswalker kind of makes sense, since she appears as a deity in multiple planes/ settings (i.e. both Oerth and Faerun). But then Tiamat also appears in both settings.

D&D's ontology lore and mtg's ontology lore are kind of incompatible. In D&D anyone is free to travel from one plane to another (or to a demi-plane like Ravenloft) if they have access to the correct magical or technological means. Whereas in mtg only planewalkers are able to move to different planes.

Gyor

Savant
Lolth being a planeswalker kind of makes sense, since she appears as a deity in multiple planes/ settings (i.e. both Oerth and Faerun). But then Tiamat also appears in both settings.

D&D's ontology lore and mtg's ontology lore are kind of incompatible. In D&D anyone is free to travel from one plane to another (or to a demi-plane like Ravenloft) if they have access to the correct magical or technological means. Whereas in mtg only planewalkers are able to move to different planes.

Tiamat's physical (none avatar) body is imprisoned in hell currently, so she can't travel between planes, although her divine spiritual power and presumably her Avatars can move around just fine, as this imprisonment doesn't effect her ability to grant spells to divine spellcasters.

Gyor

Savant
Why is Lolth a planeswalker and Tiamat isn't when they're both gods?

Tiamat's physical (none avatar) body is imprisoned in hell currently, so she can't travel between planes, although her divine spiritual power and presumably her Avatars can move around just fine, as this imprisonment doesn't effect her ability to grant spells to divine spellcasters.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

I don't think it is that weak, that is one hell of a passive. Even if you go -3, you need at least 2 unblocked damage to kill it. If you have two blockers laying around you need 3 unblocked damage. Very hard to kill through combat damage. Wouldn't surprise me if it is at least tried in the sideboard to win sticky creature based matchups.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lolth-Spider-Queen-AFR-672.jpg

seem weak for 5 mana cost

Seems fine for a green black deck. (Mana ramp is faggotry)

92613468-205e-488b-930d-11908477e9f8.jpg

It also seems easy enough to take out also.

There are a lot of two cmc removal cards for planeswalkers. I've been testing these ones out in anticipation of the standard rotation.

a11224f8-06ea-4ec3-85e6-d5c8d906840c.jpg

e12573fe-aee3-49db-93e2-d00972cbb3b1.jpg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

I don't think it is that weak, that is one hell of a passive. Even if you go -3, you need at least 2 unblocked damage to kill it. If you have two blockers laying around you need 3 unblocked damage. Very hard to kill through combat damage. Wouldn't surprise me if it is at least tried in the sideboard to win sticky creature based matchups.
i meant ult. Weird ult that seem weaker then her other 2 abilities

Gyor

Savant

i meant ult. Weird ult that seem weaker then her other 2 abilities

Her ultimate is unusually easy to reach in the right sacrifice deck, so they made it abit weaker. Its still dangerous, if one of those spiders hits with the emblem up, that is over a third of an oppenents life god, and in Commander you can do it to more then one at a time.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
did some jumpstart number crunching and it gets on my nerves... 38% of packs are ensured to offer something new to me. 18% is useless white trash. 13% I am complete, 29% is mixed bag when i can either get duplicate or cool mythic.
In other news I got 23% chance to be sad when presented with 3 packs. 25% to fizzle on ICR...

So i guess my expected value is 3 rares instead of 4 per entry. Thats 666 gold per rare and most cool stuff I already have :negative:
all of this isnt taking into account pack nor icr rarity so its likely much worse

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I can't wait for this garbage standard to rotate. Anyone who thought mill or cards like the ultimatums were a good idea needs to get fired.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
This event. It could be fun! One could try and come up with some funky stuff, some synergies, etc.

Instead, it's another event of decks filled to the brim with removal and nothing interesting happening.

People are boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom