Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Where is Victoria III?

Silva

Arcane
Something I think Pdox games need more is what I call (for lack of better words) "impactful presentation". CK2 was the first game to really capitalize on this by making every little event pop-up feel impactful and important by accompanying it with pretty GFX and sound effects and flavorful text that really engages the player.

Those Civilization series big portraits are an example of what I'm talking about. In Pdox case they dont need to be retarded like those Civ ones, but having big faces for historical figures showing some personality is a good first step. Even Total War series makes this better than Pdox.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
What? They have that stupid naked 3d chonker king models for events now. How much more impactful can it be than a ruler throwing down his schlong on the table LBJ style?

Something I think Pdox games need more is what I call (for lack of better words) "impactful presentation". CK2 was the first game to really capitalize on this by making every little event pop-up feel impactful and important by accompanying it with pretty GFX and sound effects and flavorful text that really engages the player.

Agreed. Endless Legend was really good for this. Lots of beautiful artwork.

I'm not a fan of Vicky 2 HFM in general, but one thing it did that I really loved was how it added unique artwork (of paintings from that time period) for just about every urban province in the game. So you click on Hamburg and instead of generic terrain artwork on the province window you get an actual painting of a scene in Hamburg. It was really nice and I wish the other big mods did the same thing.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
1619567372556.png

LizardWizard

Cipher
Not sure why you would want want Vicky 3, when Vicky 2 was pure decline compared to Vicky Rev already. You really think current day Paradox is going to deliver hahaha. Best you'll get is EU V with a PoP system developed by Wiz and King and hopefully they can stave off Johan's cancer influence after Imperator bombed.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, no one plays HoI3,yet HoIIV was a stunning success and are always in top-20 or 30 of Steam games by concurrent players. More than Stellaris, EUIV or CK franchizes. If same could be made for Vic it'll be great.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Making it start at 1836 and make the days day/night turns (whereby daily work hours reforms can also impact) would be good. Absolutely no reason whatsoever to start it any earlier.

1828 would be good, if only for the pre-uprising constitutional Kingdom of Poland which was on the way to become one of the early industrialization centres before it got squashed.

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
Vicky logistics and trade mechanics were always retarded. Play as Russia and get Kuriles blockades by the enemy fleet - get 20% WE out of nowhere.
It always had simplistic diplomatic mechanics. There were no international agreements (Holy Alliance anyone? British Commonwealth?). Diplomacy wasn't affected by history of relationships (at was possible to beat someone up, spend some diplo and get 200 relations in a couple of years).
It always had retarded cultural. migration and assimilation systems. If yankees easily convert everyone into free market religion, who runs around stealing sheeeit out there?
It always had oversimplified research system. The game didn't even had a research tree. Scientific progress is driven by specialized institutions, not a bunch of sararymen.

I'd rather see some fantasy game on the Vicky engine (steampunk with elves that slowly transfroms into dieselpunk and maybe even rocketpunk) than suffer through another round of handwaving.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Historical games aren’t something you want to see from Paradox anymore. Hopefully they’ll just make fantasy games and everyone can focus on the increasingly empty gameplay.

Historical games aren’t something you want to see from Paradox anymore. Hopefully they’ll just make fantasy games and everyone can focus on the increasingly empty gameplay.

Honestly if Stellaris is indicative of the quality of Paradox's fiction writing, I don't want to see fantasy games from them either.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
I'd rather see some fantasy game on the Vicky engine (steampunk with elves that slowly transfroms into dieselpunk and maybe even rocketpunk) than suffer through another round of handwaving.

Research complete: Cog hat Only once we have learned how to put cogs on top hats will our nation be truly steampunk. Now researching: Monkey wrench fedora [enables: dieselpunk]

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Those Civilization series big portraits are an example of what I'm talking about. In Pdox case they dont need to be retarded like those Civ ones, but having big faces for historical figures showing some personality is a good first step. Even Total War series makes this better than Pdox.

Paradox clearly had that same idea for CK3 with much more prominent and expressive character representation. It would probably be even easier with fixed historical figures, but is that really important in a grand strategy?

crusader-king-3-a.jpg

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik

Paradox clearly had that same idea for CK3 with much more prominent and expressive character representation. It would probably be even easier with fixed historical figures, but is that really important in a grand strategy?

crusader-king-3-a.jpg

These look so much worse than portraits from Crusader Kings 1.

2010-03-30-Crusader-Kings-02.jpg

Silva

Arcane

crusader-king-3-a.jpg

These look so much worse than portraits from Crusader Kings 1.

2010-03-30-Crusader-Kings-02.jpg
I think both have their appeal, the CK1 16-bit style and CK3 realistic 3d. What's important I think is making such a visual impact. IMO.

Humanophage

Arcane
Who makes good historical games? All I see are just highly abstract combat games like Fields of Glory 2 or games that focus on some individual narrative like A Legionary's Life. They generally don't have anything except warfare. Paradox was the best and most detailed option. Unfortunately, their games have been turning more and more into boring gamey map-painting contests with mana that fail to register any differences between countries.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Wait were Paradox ever not map painters? That doesn't seam right.

Humanophage

Arcane
Both Victoria and Crusader Kings have plenty more content than map-painting, even though the mouthbreather fanbase is obsessed with the latter (and dumb memes for CK). On the other hand, there is little difference in how anything plays in Europa Universalis, and it all devolves into conquering everything that moves, with minimal events. EU4 is a bit less bad than EU3, which was the pinnacle of awful. If you want to play a regular strategy and don't care for history, just play Civ4, which has much better and more detailed mechanics and is actually better at preventing blobbing.

Harthwain

Magister
Crusader Kings could be played without caring about painting the map (except in cases where being conquered meant getting outsted from your lands). Same goes for Victoria. You could say Hearts of Iron was about painting the map, but I'd argue the focus was on logistics and you could always set victory goals, meaning you didn't have to "paint the map" as such, but rather aim to accomplish your strategic objectives.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I've played almost 1000 hours of CK2. Ya'll are way off base. Sure there were technically non-combat systems but they were shallow as fuck and mostly revolved around waiting for timers.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
There's no explanation for people insisting that CK2 has amazing non-combat mechanics except a deficit of imagination. Sure from like 2011-2015 CK2 was pretty good, mostly due to lack of competition but even with heavy mods it couldn't really replicate the experience of reading a feudal political thriller. Plots were especially egregious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom