Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow Empire - planetary conquest from Advanced Tactics/Decisive Campaigns dev

madhouse

That's why I don't go on offensives with sub-par forces. Holding the line is enough. In fact your line is dangerously extended and I would pull it back. The fact that the raiders even allowed themselves to stay surrounded for so long is a fault of the AI.
I exclusively fight my battles with people who can't afford shoes.

madhouse

wujD1s3.png

The secret magister.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Keep being tempted by this, especially as Matrix sends me a voucher every year and it's now up to 50% off for anything in the store. Thanks to those posting about it as it's been very helpful. Still have that Emperor of the Fading Suns itch but not sure this is quite going to scratch it.

Alpharius

Scholar
X1k2mPI.png

:shredder:
Basically GG if these dudes declare war on you at the start of the game. They have about 20 stacks of these usually(at least on max difficulty). They have some kind of dinosaur cavalry too, though its stats are unimpressive.
Also got these as mercenaries from friendly ork minor. They have +90% attack modifier in jungle, and my planet happens to be like totally covered in jungle.

Alpharius

Scholar
AI seems very fond of AA
tBvwKpL.png

But haven't seen it use any aircraft so far.

Also, aircraft seem fairly decent, at least on earth-like planet.

Ultra-light recon planes are great for recon obviously, require almost no research and are dirt cheap.

Light anti-infantry and anti-tank bombers are good as long as targets are not located in the forests or cities. It seems like they consume significantly less ammo than artillery but require lots of research to get any useful range and lvl2 airbase.

Helicopters require less research than light bombers to be effective but cost a lot of resources (including machines) and take forever to regain readiness if they dont stay at airbase so they are kidna meh imo. Though my two 3x10 anti tank medium helicopter squadrons helped me significantly when enemy major attacked my mg infantry spam with light and medium tanks. Also there are no anti-infantry rocket pods and anti-tank missles, only bombs, rockets and AA missiles.:outrage:

Didn't get to use any medium and heavier planes because they require lvl3 airbase (so lvl 3 city) and i never had any of these close enough to frontline.

Also noticed that AI likes to send its entire population into battle, so now i have 60% poplation on the planet and 45% victory score (i'll win the game at 50.1%) after having fought AI major only once and conqured two cities. :negative:
Perahps AI is not well adapted to planets with no minor cities to conquer.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
AI seems very fond of AA
But haven't seen it use any aircraft so far.

It responds to the troops that you use, so if you attack it with planes, the AI will build AA.

Also there are no anti-infantry rocket pods and anti-tank missles, only bombs, rockets and AA missiles.:outrage:

Precision bombs are for hard-targets and the bomb hatch option is for soft attack (i.e. anti-infantry).

I know German 88 mm anti-aircraft guns were sometimes used as anti-tank weapons during WW2. Is it possible to do the same here?

Well, they can fight, but they're neither as good as dedicated AT guns, not as cheap as RPG infantry and really poor suited to fighting anything but aircraft.

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It depends on the state of the game IMO - AI turns seem pretty fast at the start, but during the late game when there are tons of units on the map, it can easily take a few minutes.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
I've found that it slows down only in the end game on huge maps and with giving the AI extra time to 'think'. It's been pretty tolerable otherwise for me, at least by standards of wargames from Slitherine.

Currently loving Pymous' efforts to revamp the cards' artwork. Hope Vic considers giving him a role to revamp a few other little bits of cosmetic fluff.

Beowulf

Arcane
I had troubles running it on Ubuntu (using wine + some tricks) at the end of last year, but apparently you can do that now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom