Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Project Gorgon

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yah, I could see myself enjoying this game for a while.

You could try to min/max the game but you'd quickly get burned out. Trying to farm one area for a long time doesn't seem feasible either, you will quickly drain the merchants of cash and they won't replenish their cash for an entire week (earth time). For your account only that is, each player has their own merchant sales limit (which can be skilled up also).

This seems like the kinda game that rewards you doing a lot of different quests and skills over just grinding out one skill/area for a long time.

It feels like runescape meets everquest to me. It's nice to not be locked into one "class" either. If you get bored of being a firemage then you can go be an archer or werewolf or whatever.

Codex Year of the Donut
I submitted a suggestion for this(both improvements) on one of my first days playing :M
DdPLoiw.png

bug I reported too
hCxsSka.png

Quest headers in the journal fold now, another improvement suggestion I supported.
IrdiBDP.png

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gregz

Boiled Crab can get you favor with the bard trainer real fast. You don't have to have marathon sex with the dude if you want to just do some random cooking.

Crabs are plentiful when you do fishing. I turned in 4 boiled crab and got like 15 favor for it.

Codex Year of the Donut
Gregz

Boiled Crab can get you favor with the bard trainer real fast. You don't have to have marathon sex with the dude if you want to just do some random cooking.

Crabs are plentiful when you do fishing. I turned in 4 boiled crab and got like 15 favor for it.
Which trainer?
If it's Fainor, give him bacon. Pork shoulder is easy to farm, each one makes 2 bacon and it gives decent favor to anyone who likes meat, prepared meals, etc.,

Codex Year of the Donut
Aww, they fixed it.
There are items that cause heavy damage while holding them if you aren't wearing the right gear. You were able to send them to people via pigeon :lol:

Mud'

Scholar
Gonna be honest, i come here only to see Rusty autistic adventures in the game, its very cool to see all the small features this game offers.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Got my sword and bow to level 22ish and I'm starting to make headway on some of the dungeons. Also got jumped in serbule by the named mantis and then the named deer right afterwards. Two easy notoriety points.

The devs said they plan to wipe the economy and favor points before the full release of the game, but keep skill points on characters.

I'm not sure how far away that is though. Unarmed might be a good skill to keep in your back pocket. The dev Jack guy said they were going to make the best gear much more difficult to acquire also.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I'm not sure how it'd be a cash grab, but the purpose is to definitely acquire more money for the people running the show.

VIP is optional and totally unnecessary. Game is fun both with and without. People really trying to farm the games currency / items would just purchase a second account instead of paying for VIP.

A second account is the best "bang for ur buck" choice if you are even thinking about VIP. The only reason to pay for VIP is for convenience and if you really want to support them in the hopes they will develop something new.

I have personally seen them testing out new stuff in the past week though, like I logged in and they had dropped this item/statue that caused the region to go pvp, and I was suddenly getting blasted by weird shit. Which wasn't an entirely bad thing, I got death experience for dying in new ways I hadn't died before. It's weird shit like that which makes this game funny at times. In most normal games, you would be pissed by getting ganked at random, but in this game, there is no death penalty and you actually get bonuses for dying in new ways.

Codex Year of the Donut
There's some concern among veterans that the VIP feature is a cash grab.

Thoughts?
Basically everything the dev implements he discussed years ago, going through his forum/blog posts VIP has the same features he said it would have back in 2017.

Codex Year of the Donut
FWIW, only thing from the VIP I'd want is the larger transfer box for doing work orders on my alts. It's just a minor benefit that saves a few logins/logouts.

Codex Year of the Donut
If you're curious of if there's enough content in EA to be worth buying: I put over 450 hours into it.
And I didn't run out of content, just shelving it for a bit from playing the same game too much.

...Surprisingly, I have very few complaints. The only major one is the diablo-tier itemization BUT it's not as bad due to how gear works with it directly affecting abilities(no flat +n stat gear) and there being so many different treasure mods you can roll. Still not a fan, but it is what it is.
OTOH, there is equipment as you get higher level that have innate builtin effects that make them much stronger than a comparable item of the same slot without those effects. Things like weapons that have a different damage type(which potentially opens a completely new playstyle e.g., there's a staff that does slash damage) to weapons that have completely unique ability sets that unlock while equipped.

I barely touched the faery realm and gazluk, btw, to give an idea of how much content I still have left. Those zones are both massive.

:5/5:/:5/5:
Easily one of the best MMOs available right now, and the best 'fresh' MMO you can play. I don't use this phrase often, but it's definitely a hidden gem.

The slow feeling of you getting more powerful/experienced -- in multiple areas -- and noticing it through the gameplay itself is something that other MMOs did away with completely. Hell, most cRPGs have nothing on Gorgon in this department.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
This game is definitely worth the price of admission.

It's strange though...the more I played it, the more I missed Everquest.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
rusty_shackleford would you be interested in a duo/group partner when you start playing again? I thought about getting into a new MMO but the idea of going through the chore of finding a steady group of people who aren't perpetually annoying has discouraged me so far.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I've been spending way too much time on this game, but I'm hoping to get a character to 80 before the summer is over. I unlocked sword 60-70 a few days ago and I'm working on archery 60-70 right now (If I can stop getting distracted by spending my councils on other things).

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fuck you guys, as usual, saw this thread and tried the demo.
Now my summer is ruined...

UI and combat is a bit rough but exploration aspect got me hooked right from the starting island.

Gregz

Arcane
rusty_shackleford Gregz Ranselknulf

questions: if I download the demo will my character carry forward if I buy the game? when will the game be out of EA? will there be a subscription fee after the game is out of EA?

might give the demo a try while waiting for new world

Don't worry about the EA status, there is more game in PG than 20X the average EA game.

And yes, your saves will carry forward.

PG is not an expensive game, and I think we all agree that we got more than our money's worth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom