Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Optimistic sweating because of HoI4 modding support. Nervous sweating because of Leviathan's buggy release state.

:shredder: but indecisive and contradictory.

You really giving PDX credit for OWB/Kassierach?
No, just for making them possible and giving them support. HoI4 is a good environment for modders. It's not like I'd play Victoria 2 unmodded (or any Pdox game, honestly) either, but there are clear limitations to what it is capable of handling (and some things that are basically brick walls).

So the concern with something like Leviathan is that a technically catastrophic launch state scuttles any modding scene that might emerge.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Optimistic sweating because of HoI4 modding support. Nervous sweating because of Leviathan's buggy release state.

:shredder: but indecisive and contradictory.

You really giving PDX credit for OWB/Kassierach?
No, just for making them possible and giving them support. HoI4 is a good environment for modders. It's not like I'd play Victoria 2 unmodded (or any Pdox game, honestly) either, but there are clear limitations to what it is capable of handling (and some things that are basically brick walls).

Seems like a weak argument, HOI4 was released 6 years after Vic 2. And let's be honest HOI4 was a disaster release was delayed that only salvaged by modders.

Unless you're actually arguing the game is good without mods? Seriously LOL

kangaxx

Arbiter
I'd steer well clear of the latest content for now. It also seems to have introduced a bug where you can call non-allies into wars via the production menu. Extraordinary.

zapotec

Liturgist
How the hell siege works in this game, my 30k army can't siege the province (with a 2k garrison) i am at war with while they 1k army are occupying all mine provinces (i guess there is no fort?)

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
How the hell siege works in this game, my 30k army can't siege the province (with a 2k garrison) i am at war with while they 1k army are occupying all mine provinces (i guess there is no fort?)
Can you post screenshots?

Sieges are affected by a myriad of factors, but they're pretty straightforward. Provinces without forts get occupied almost instantly (after a single siege tick), and you can easily see which provinces have forts on them through the base map mode because there's a little grey fort on them. Having artillery, blockading a province, using a general with siege pips, and having "siege ability" modifiers help sieging forts faster, while "local defensiveness" bonuses slow sieges progress.

zapotec

Liturgist
I don't have screenshots, it was mine 30k ottomans starting army sieging one of the province of Albania.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If by "can't siege" you mean that the siege was going VERY slowly, it's possible they somehow stacked an impressive number of "local defensiveness" modifiers, but that sounds unlikely.

If what you mean is that the siege literally wasn't progressing, the only option I can think of is that somehow your army got black-flagged. This can happen if, when you declared war, your army was standing in a province belonging to a country that didn't join the war. In this case, the army gets a small black flag as a symbol and you need to bring it back to one of your provinces before using it again.

zapotec

Liturgist
I'll try it again later, my first impression of the game so far is that with the next dlc they will have no more space in the UI to add additional buttons/sliders.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Which mods do people here recommend? I've yet to delve into that world.
anbennar is good fantasy mode with interesting threes,racial genocide and cool lore.

meiou and taxes is autism on max,far too complex systems for the measly core of eu4,still good fun

Imperium Universalis ancient times mod,far better than imperator rome

Oh and Veritas et Fortitudo is also pretty good one.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Imperium Universalis is a pretty different start date from IR, too. Glad it got resurrected, looked like it was abandoned for a long time.

(Though you should totes try one of the minor diadochi or pyrrhus these days, fanta.)

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Teaser for the next update of Imperium Universalis, Rome + Socii at the start of the First Punic War.

srcR8ti.png

Close ups of Sicilia et Italia,
JrJPUtv.png

5h2KxmZ.png

4FjeJCh.png

is2D4Qx.png

hYaERGB.png

And their dev diaries:

started again with mongolia because i truly want to put china down.
they. didn't. even. had. one. single. rebellion.
even the best in their lifetime once or twice get their homeland dotted with rebels. not them. not even once. never distracted, always focused. constantly fielding 4, 5, 6 times my army which was the largest around. now i'm an empire (made the mistake to feed back to vassal korea their provinces. everyone and his dog is supporting indipendence) but china passed all the empire thingies and will ever taken down only by western tech.

Went ahead and tried a mongolia game. Was piss easy.

First off, Ming supports independence and does all the work.
53dbppa.jpg

Otb3dNW.jpg

From there you just start blobbing. Without a syncretized religion you have -20% regiment cost and 100% cavalry ratio. Loyal tribes provide -20% cavalry cost. Go for broken Horde ideas which adds another -35% cavalry cost, making cavalry as cheap as infantry (which are themselves about 30% cheaper than normal for you). Horde ideas all gives you a broken +25% cavalry combat ontop of your +20% mongolian idea, though I beat Ming before getting it. This is the point where Ming broke tributary status after I stopped paying tribute.
N6jMidP.jpg

State of my nation when Ming got the Unguarded Nomadic Frontier disaster. I have about 50% more morale than them along with all their normal penalties, and have +20% cavalry combat ability full cav stacks engaging with a 5 shock general.
2Hyq6MA.jpg

End state of the war, Ming beaten to a pulp and most of their forts taken to make future wars a cakewalk.
EFTDjaM.jpg

Can't imagine how easy world conquest is when you can stack 100% cavalry ratio and 45% cavalry combat ability with just one completed idea group. You can also reform into a theocracy for a special +15% cavalry combat ability reform, then go form Poland. lmao.

EDIT: to clarify some points of strategy:
- Revoke your cores on Ming and switch religion, otherwise you won't have a high enough opinion of them to ask them to support your independence
- Oirat allied Sarig Yogir, which I then fed to Ming in the independence war. This led them to attack Chagatai to make them a tributary since they shared a border. While Chagatai were beaten down and no one would join I attacked and took most of their land. Of course I took enough land in the initial war vs. Oirat to get a border with them.
- Your religious conversion does suck pretty bad, so TC what you can that isn't of your religion and use the state policy to convert quicker. Once you get +2 missionary strength from a better ruler and +25% religious unity from horde ideas things are a lot smoother. Also make sure to lower autonomy on all the shit you can.
- Beeline to the Manchus with legalism to adopt it asap. I didn't end up adopting Renaissance until after the first war with Ming where I was drowning in mana from all the razing.
- Make sure to complete the mission to get permanent claims on everything once free before you become a tributary of Ming. I didn't and it definitely made things a lot worse

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
even the best in their lifetime once or twice get their homeland dotted with rebels. not them. not even once. never distracted, always focused. constantly fielding 4, 5, 6 times my army which was the largest around. now i'm an empire (made the mistake to feed back to vassal korea their provinces. everyone and his dog is supporting indipendence) but china passed all the empire thingies and will ever taken down only by western tech.

53dbppa.jpg

Otb3dNW.jpg

From there you just start blobbing. Without a syncretized religion you have -20% regiment cost and 100% cavalry ratio. Loyal tribes provide -20% cavalry cost. Go for broken Horde ideas which adds another -35% cavalry cost, making cavalry as cheap as infantry (which are themselves about 30% cheaper than normal for you). Horde ideas all gives you a broken +25% cavalry combat ontop of your +20% mongolian idea, though I beat Ming before getting it. This is the point where Ming broke tributary status after I stopped paying tribute.
N6jMidP.jpg

State of my nation when Ming got the Unguarded Nomadic Frontier disaster. I have about 50% more morale than them along with all their normal penalties, and have +20% cavalry combat ability full cav stacks engaging with a 5 shock general.
2Hyq6MA.jpg

End state of the war, Ming beaten to a pulp and most of their forts taken to make future wars a cakewalk.
EFTDjaM.jpg

Can't imagine how easy world conquest is when you can stack 100% cavalry ratio and 45% cavalry combat ability with just one completed idea group. You can also reform into a theocracy for a special +15% cavalry combat ability reform, then go form Poland. lmao.

- Revoke your cores on Ming and switch religion, otherwise you won't have a high enough opinion of them to ask them to support your independence
- Oirat allied Sarig Yogir, which I then fed to Ming in the independence war. This led them to attack Chagatai to make them a tributary since they shared a border. While Chagatai were beaten down and no one would join I attacked and took most of their land. Of course I took enough land in the initial war vs. Oirat to get a border with them.
- Your religious conversion does suck pretty bad, so TC what you can that isn't of your religion and use the state policy to convert quicker. Once you get +2 missionary strength from a better ruler and +25% religious unity from horde ideas things are a lot smoother. Also make sure to lower autonomy on all the shit you can.
- Beeline to the Manchus with legalism to adopt it asap. I didn't end up adopting Renaissance until after the first war with Ming where I was drowning in mana from all the razing.
- Make sure to complete the mission to get permanent claims on everything once free before you become a tributary of Ming. I didn't and it definitely made things a lot worse
So you play like retard and complain that the game is easy lol forming poland. The worst kind of eu player is the one that constantly uses exploits and bitch about it lol. Stop being such a bitch and just smash the oirat without any cucked independency support,then go smash ming head on when they declare tributary war. Also play on VH if you find it easy.

But sure,it is pretty easy for experienced player,just stack horses and nuke the enemy,still one of the most fun campaigns in EU4.

Mortmal

Arcane

53dbppa.jpg

Otb3dNW.jpg

N6jMidP.jpg

2Hyq6MA.jpg

EFTDjaM.jpg

There's a lot easier for world conquest, pick majapahit. Immediately do the first three missions to remove the crisis. Start by releasing a one province vassal demak, then disow your heir , attack your neighbor . Keep going around some vassals like tidore are even colonizing for you . Down your mission tree you get a mission to instant convert your tributaries into vassal . However those vassals are big and not too loyal ... As soon as you can manage it, dow japan,culture shift, become shogun. Now every new vassal will become daymio , when it comes to loyalty they refer to their own strengh only and not the vassal combined force.
At the bottom of the mission tree you get a permanent vassalize casus belli on everything . One war vassalize russia for exemple.
Now you have a swarm of loyal vassals, wc is easy , you only need the patience to do it as there's no challenge anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom