Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Someone make a sequel for... type in yours

It's much, much worse than the originals. It's not even in the same vicinity. There's a reason why the modding community never bothered with it.

SumDrunkGuy

Vanquish 2. Of course the best and manliest third person shooter ever made gets no sequels while Gears of Shit gets like 20 including one with stronk wombyn protagonist.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Alpha Protocol. Lots of untapped potential. Though I'd rather have a spiritual successor than a sequel. That kind of gameplay that revolves around manipulating others through conversation was a good fit for a spy story, where you're never sure who you can trust, but I can see it working just as well in a noir. Make it a game adaptation of A Touch of Evil.
The problem is it didn't mesh with the RPG elements at all. There were very few moments that I felt like my build had any bearing on the conversation. Fix that and you got a happy Vlajdermen.

SoupNazi

Alpha Protocol. Lots of untapped potential. Though I'd rather have a spiritual successor than a sequel. That kind of gameplay that revolves around manipulating others through conversation was a good fit for a spy story, where you're never sure who you can trust, but I can see it working just as well in a noir. Make it a game adaptation of A Touch of Evil.
The problem is it didn't mesh with the RPG elements at all. There were very few moments that I felt like my build had any bearing on the conversation. Fix that and you got a happy Vlajdermen.
Forgot about that flawed gem. Would love a sequel/successor too.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Alpha Protocl doesn't need specifically a sequel (although a sequel would be a great, a modern day spy RPG is a rarity in the genre), but it does need something that takes its lessons to heart. For example, it's the only game where I don't mind the dialogue wheel or the limited time to select dialogue options, because everything comes together incredibly. Little perks and acknowledgements for everything you can do, befriending and pissing off NPCs as equally valid approaches.
If you're a sarcastic asshole, it's not appropriate to act like a ponce in every situation. Sometimes, there will be consequencses. Like an email containing a plea to stop your sexual harassment.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Do you want to tell me that any game ever scratched the greatness that was Oblivion?

main-qimg-80ac27e30b1879ceef783b75adf15dc8

elder-scrolls-weird.jpg

vota DC

Augur
Birthright gorgon's Alliance 2
Emperor Battle for dune 2
Jagged Alliance deadly games 2. While jagged Alliance 2 was a perfect sequel for Jagged Alliance 1 I think that a game with more focus on factions employing mercenaries with timed missions would be nice too, for example mercenaries being courted by many players and going with the best contract.

Neuromancer

Augur
Nocturne 2
I've wished for this forever. Sadly the voice actor for the Stranger passed away in 2003.
That's really sad to hear. :cry:

The game itself got a spin-off (storywise a prequel) with "Blair Witch - Vol 1 - Justin Parr".

Overall, Blair Witch I is a good game - aside from the annoying labyrinth - but a little bit short and not really a full-fledged sequel.

Neuromancer

Augur
heavy metal fakk 2 2
Since it was mentioned that the main voice actor of Nocturne died, unfortunately the same is true for this game.

Julie Strain, who was the voice actor for this game and for the corresponding movie and was also the inspiration for the in-game model, died in January of this year.
:negative:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
heavy metal fakk 2 2
Since it was mentioned that the main voice actor of Nocturne died, unfortunately the same is true for this game.

Julie Strain, who was the voice actor for this game and for the corresponding movie and was also the inspiration for the in-game model, died in January of this year.
:negative:
It felt like it was only just getting started when it suddenly ends with a cliffhanger after barely a couple of hours of actual gameplay. Which is a shame, because I thought it was a lot of fun for what it was.

People talk about Anachronox's ending being a cliffhanger, but to me something like that doesn't seem so bad. It resolved everything it needed to, and it's a very long game already. I don't think it was necessary for it to continue, though it would have been nice. Real cliffhangers are stuff like FAKK2 or Halo 2 where they just abruptly stopped making the game and that's it.

And yeah, I heard about that. Of course, it's not like good sequels would be getting made now anyway even if old actors were still alive, but it's still really a shame things always have to turn out this way.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
That wasn't a big surprise, unfortunately. She was suffering from Alzheimer's brought on by a fall she had when she was 17. Hit her head so hard she lost her memory. What a horrible way to go.

...Vanquish. There's an interview with Shinji Mikami that came out last year where he talks about the original version of Vanquish, which was basically the exact same game, but took place on giant maps and had RTS elements to it. So like there'd be a factor on the map that was actually producing the robots you're fighting and to stop them you'd have to take out the factory. I want that game. Doesn't even have to be Vanqhish 2, I just want him to make that game...
What was good about Vanquish? I found it pretty ok game to play, but failed to find a passion for it. But maybe I just misunderstood - many people talk about it as it were a legend.
The condition of when it was released count too. Back then in console market you can only find generic gears of war popamole. Vanquish came out and it turn the cover shooter formula into something more akin to max payne, with stylish presentation and design. Combined with platinum's reputation with bayonetta, it quickly became cult classicm. It swayed a lot of people tired of generic shooter in consoles. Sadly it isn't enough becuase it remain just a cult classic instead of actual commercial success.

It also just feels really good on top of there being nothing else quite like it. Even stuff that at a glance seems like it would or should be similar to Vanquish aren't.

The funny thing about it being the anti-cover shooter is the cover system that is there meant a large number up people just ended up playing it like a normal cover shooter and dinged the game for it.

SoupNazi

Forgot about Jedi Knight. Would love a faithful sequel with good multiplayer, but never gonna happen.

Forgot about Jedi Knight. Would love a faithful sequel with good multiplayer, but never gonna happen.
I still don’t understand why this never happened. Outcast and Academy both sold really well, and it’s not as though it would need to dumb down the gameplay to make it work on consoles. Lucasarts just shrugged and left good money sitting on the table.

I still don’t understand why this never happened. Outcast and Academy both sold really well, and it’s not as though it would need to dumb down the gameplay to make it work on consoles. Lucasarts just shrugged and left good money sitting on the table.

It probably has less to do with LucasArts and more to do with Raven doing Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and those X-Men Legends games between 2003 and 2006. Raven Software had been owned by Activision since the late '90s, they did a couple Star Wars game that LucasArts published, but after the release of Academy they're just doing games that Activision publishes themselves. Kind of lucky those two game even happened, because the days of a developer owned by Activision making games for another publisher are long past. LucasArt did try developing some Jedi games internally, that Obi-Wan game that started on PC (and was meant to have mouse controlled Lightsaber movement) that ended up on Xbox; (it's not good, and I'd imagine it's why they looked to an outside developer for Jedi Knight 2) then there's Force Unleashed, which started planning in 2004, (so the year after Jedi Academy game out) came out in 2008, and is one of the worst video games I've ever played.

Now what is kind of weird is that in the seven years between Jedi Academy and doing UI, DLC, and multiplayer stuff for CoD games they never made anything like Jedi Academy again. Like we never just got something like those, but with Hexen. Then again it's also weird we never essentially got them doing Soldier of Fortune 3 as a Call of Duty game. That would've been the preferred way of them doing CoD instead of what happened for about a decade.

It is however kind of weird LucasArts didn't get The Collective, who did Emperor's Tomb and Revenge of the Sith for them, to do some new Jedi game after Sith. Also too bad they never pulled in some little Japanese developer like PlatinumGames or FromSoftware to make some Jedi game. Seems they could've gotten the team from Midway that did that Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy to do some Dark Forces game or something; that game still has the most fun psychic powers in a game, so them doing that in some Star Wars Kyle Katarn game or something would have been great. LucasArts was however in a cool little interesting period there in the 2000s, (at least until the late 2000s) in the two years after Jedi Academy they put out: Gladius, Armed and Dangerous, Star Wars Battlefront, KotOR 2, Mercenaries, Republic Commando, and the whole Lego themed licensed game thing kicks off with Lego Star Wars.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom