Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I Might Buy Mass Effect...

Buy Mass Effect?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• inb4Volourn

• Total voters

The Wizard

Educated
skyway said:
Why do you torture yourself so much?
its not like it is unplayable bad. sure, combat is boring, dialogs are mediocre at best and drag on for too long but... what was my point again?

Qwinn

Scholar
I had a few goals I wanted to accomplish that were somewhat challenging. Besides getting all the achievements, I also worked to balance the paragon and renegade choices so that I could get 4 free points in both Charm and Intimidate on each playthrough (tough to do on the -first- playthrough with a character, where you have barely any charm or intimidate at all). Do that, and take the same character through 3 times, and you can fill up Charm and Intimidate all the way without spending a single point in 'em. Lets you get some pretty nice builds going, and on the final playthrough you can roleplay the choices any way you want due to having both the conversation skills maxed. So I've got a couple of pretty buffed characters (mainly paragon Infiltrator Commando with AI Hacking, highest DPS build possible) and a more renegadish Bastion Adept with Assault Rifle ready for ME2. I suspect we'll see a fair amount of consequences to the choices made in ME1. Probably not enough to make the average Codexer happy (cause that'd be pretty much impossible), but enough for, you know, sane people.

It really didn't take that long. The game is pretty short. Wasn't that big a deal, and I got several playthroughs done before I got bored with it.

Qwinn

bossjimbob

Liturgist
All the side quests are front-loaded (just like KotOR), so once you leave the Citadel the game feels pretty bare. Combat is passable and some of the biotic powers are a kick in the pants. You could do a lot worse for 20 bucks. A single play through will take you 30 hours or so if you complete most of the optional content. I rather enjoyed it, but by the end I was skipping a lot of the dialogue because the game tends to shove a lot of needless lore down your throat via dull conversations.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"but by the end I was skipping a lot of the dialogue because the game tends to shove a lot of needless lore down your throat via dull conversations."

This is a fuckin' lie since the vast majority of 'needless lore' is actually found in the codex. R00fles!

Any extra lore found in conversations never need to be clicked on anyways since they're obvious and completely optional never having to be clicked on, anyways.

Why do people lie? :?

Hi, I'm a codex dweller and I like to live in alternate universes for fun. This includes making shit up about games that are not real and jumping to conclusions.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
Volourn said:
This is a fuckin' lie since the vast majority of 'needless lore' is actually found in the codex. R00fles!

Any extra lore found in conversations never need to be clicked on anyways since they're obvious and completely optional never having to be clicked on, anyways.

Actually, it's the truth. Lots of lore is unlocked in the Codex via these optional conversations. It's not obvious which conversations are required and which are optional, so the player will usually engage in dialogue with whatever NPC he encounters.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Vigil

Vigil felt like a cheap mechanism to explain the plot, and its conversations were long-winded.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I played it for the first time and stuck mostly to the main quest and enjoyed the game. Then I played it a second time and did most of the side quests and then wiped my ass with razor blades.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Mass Effect single handedly disillusioned me from the current state of RPGs due to how awful, recycled, and repetitive it was.

This thread reminds me of the Mass Effect suggestions sticky.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom