Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Arcania is no longer even called 'Gothic 4', just 'A Gothic Tale'.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
One of the things I liked most about the story and especially the factions in Elex, was that you rarely felt lectured to by the developers. For example, the berserkers beeing anti technology never comes across as the developers lecturing you about the dangers of technology.

It was just this faction that had this idea. You are not forced to agree with this.

It would have been very easy to ruin each faction by presenting them and their ideas slightly diffrent.

All the factions are nice in one way, assholeish in another. I'm still not sure whether that's a good design decision or not, to have that balance. It's what made me stop playing the game by about lvl 20 - I just didn't like any of them and I was paralyzed by having to decide between three assholes.

Having gotten to the stage where my 2nd tier weapons without faction were already trivializing the general monsterage, my interest in the game suddenly dropped off a cliff. It's like, the more I was stuck dithering, the more the glamour of the game faded and the sameyness of the clutter became more salient (same thing happens with me with Bethesda games - I've never finished a Bethesda MQ because I get into pottering about, but the more I potter about the more the Potemkin village nature of the game becomes apparent, so I lose interest).

Shame, I'd loved it to bits up to that point, I was really solidly and happily living in the illusion of the the game's nicely-constructed virtual world for a week or so, and it was glorious.
I get your point about not finding them likable, but my suggestion would be to treat the diffrent factions as tools to further the MCs goals. You don't have to like them.

There is a risk in general that, the more you put off plot progression, the more you will exhaust yourself. If you've allready explored every nook and cranny the novelty will wear off and the game will seem to have little left to offer once you start progressing through the main storyline.

You'd have to pace yourself, but that is easy to say in hindsight. I would still argue that the game has some nice moments to look forward to, even if you've beat the game so to speak before even joining a faction.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
One of the things I liked most about the story and especially the factions in Elex, was that you rarely felt lectured to by the developers. For example, the berserkers beeing anti technology never comes across as the developers lecturing you about the dangers of technology.
That's probably because primitivism is possibly the most retarded of ideologies and such beliefs would be really hard to justify.
That's beside the point though.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

It was just this faction that had this idea. You are not forced to agree with this.

It would have been very easy to ruin each faction by presenting them and their ideas slightly diffrent.

All the factions are nice in one way, assholeish in another. I'm still not sure whether that's a good design decision or not, to have that balance. It's what made me stop playing the game by about lvl 20 - I just didn't like any of them and I was paralyzed by having to decide between three assholes.

Having gotten to the stage where my 2nd tier weapons without faction were already trivializing the general monsterage, my interest in the game suddenly dropped off a cliff. It's like, the more I was stuck dithering, the more the glamour of the game faded and the sameyness of the clutter became more salient (same thing happens with me with Bethesda games - I've never finished a Bethesda MQ because I get into pottering about, but the more I potter about the more the Potemkin village nature of the game becomes apparent, so I lose interest).

Shame, I'd loved it to bits up to that point, I was really solidly and happily living in the illusion of the the game's nicely-constructed virtual world for a week or so, and it was glorious.
I get your point about not finding them likable, but my suggestion would be to treat the diffrent factions as tools to further the MCs goals. You don't have to like them.

There is a risk in general that, the more you put off plot progression, the more you will exhaust yourself. If you've allready explored every nook and cranny the novelty will wear off and the game will seem to have little left to offer once you start progressing through the main storyline.

You'd have to pace yourself, but that is easy to say in hindsight. I would still argue that the game has some nice moments to look forward to, even if you've beat the game so to speak before even joining a faction.

Oh I do think it's one of those games that I will revisit, I just od-ed on it a bit and soured. But it's a good game, and I'm aware that there's more of the story to tell.

But again, with the faction thing - since any faction is as good as any other in terms of giving the player toys, it ends up being (or seeming to be) a question of aesthetics and preferred playstyle at the end of the day. Does the game have drastically different endings depending on which faction you choose?

I suppose it's a failure of roleplaying on my part. Me as a person didn't want to be associated with any of these assholes, whereas I should have been thinking about what my character would have thought. I'd just started with that place in the center, I wonder if that offers an opportunity for players who don't like any of the factions? I stopped just as I was about to get the robot part so I could get my flyer up and running, maybe that all develops into a true alternative?

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Oh I do think it's one of those games that I will revisit, I just od-ed on it a bit and soured. But it's a good game, and I'm aware that there's more of the story to tell.

But again, with the faction thing - since any faction is as good as any other in terms of giving the player toys, it ends up being (or seeming to be) a question of aesthetics and preferred playstyle at the end of the day. Does the game have drastically different endings depending on which faction you choose?

I suppose it's a failure of roleplaying on my part. Me as a person didn't want to be associated with any of these assholes, whereas I should have been thinking about what my character would have thought. I'd just started with that place in the center, I wonder if that offers an opportunity for players who don't like any of the factions? I stopped just as I was about to get the robot part so I could get my flyer up and running, maybe that all develops into a true alternative?

I have onley gotten about a third through the game on my second playthrough as another faction, so I couldn't really answer your first question.

As for the camp in the center, I don't want get into spoilers too mutch but I recall it beeing more of its own thing, compared to the other factions.

Grimlorn

Arcane
That's probably because primitivism is possibly the most retarded of ideologies and such beliefs would be really hard to justify.
I'd agree but it seems that the Berserkers their World Hearts, seedlings, and ability to convert Elex into Mana will be the best weapon against the advanced aliens coming to invade.

Grimlorn

Arcane
The faction you chooses doesn't really affect the ending. There are 3 endings and they depend on your Cold level and what you choose in the end.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
elex is such a special game, really can't wait for elex 2. I usually don't buy and play on day 1, but for a game like elex 2, it's a day one purchase and play. :)

I'd agree but it seems that the Berserkers their World Hearts, seedlings, and ability to convert Elex into Mana will be the best weapon against the advanced aliens coming to invade.
Yeah, mana is pretty useful and powerful, though the only thing preventing the Bersekers from being the best and most powerful faction in the game is their anti-technology laws and that is the main reason why I choose to side with the clerics (that and them having the best looking armors in the game IMO).

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/elex-2-news-poll.130711/

I told you guys it was canceled, all the evidence is in front of you yet you refuse to believe.
STOP! this heresy right this moment.
The longer you spend in denial the worse it will be
The Incline cannot be stopped. Soon, all will be revealed, and you'll know you were on the wrong side of history.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Yeah, mana is pretty useful and powerful, though the only thing preventing the Bersekers from being the best and most powerful faction in the game is their anti-technology laws and that is the main reason why I choose to side with the clerics (that and them having the best looking armors in the game IMO).
Well it's not so much about the mana being powerful, in the convo with the Hybrid at the end, I think he mentions hiding the World Hearts and stuff that has to do with Elex transforming from the invaders. It's been awhile since I've played the game, but I remember at some point that it was implied these World Hearts that transform Elex into Mana or whatever, reverses the properties of Elex, which could then be used as a weapon against those that need Elex to survive. I wish I could remember it more clearly.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Ooh do you really think so? I just automatically assumed that
it would be a Trojan Horse - like Elex is the obvious one, then everyone would think Mana would save them, then it turns out to be the REAL Trojan Horse. I might be too used to plot twists in everything these days.

bloodlover

Arcane
After derping around till level 17 and doing all the quests that I could, I reached the phase where I can pick a faction aaaaaand... berserkers are not so cool anymore. I like their environments and organization and Caja is a cool companion but the more I played and found out about them the less I liked them. Sure, no faction is perfect but from the three I'd rather join the Clerics.

Melee cleric incoming. I assume they are more ranged oriented but I saw some dudes with 2h hammers walking around so I'd just be switching from axe to hammer.

Lambach

Arcane
Clerics are the power-gamer's choice, PSI powers and laser guns break the game completely, even more so than anything else, and if you focus your build on them while (mostly) ignoring melee, you don't even have to abuse Elex Potions to achieve it. Berserker's magic and Outlaws'.... whatever the fuck it is they have is pretty weak in comparison, but I guess they're a better choice if you don't want to cruise through the last ~30% of the game without a single remotely challenging encounter.

mkultra

Augur
Clerics are the power-gamer's choice, PSI powers and laser guns break the game completely, even more so than anything else, and if you focus your build on them while (mostly) ignoring melee, you don't even have to abuse Elex Potions to achieve it. Berserker's magic and Outlaws'.... whatever the fuck it is they have is pretty weak in comparison, but I guess they're a better choice if you don't want to cruise through the last ~30% of the game without a single remotely challenging encounter.

Yeah, playing Outlaw myself, best setting/base imo, cool weapons, pretty fun quest line too. It's still very, very easy (melee only).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom