Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Larianshill

Arbiter
Well, yeah, but is that really what your mind jumps to when you think "sorcerer"?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Barbarians are pretty powerful in 5E. I've seen people play like complete idiots using a barb and surviving somehow
Barbarians are surprisingly strong in low-magic settings due to so many passives and resistance to common damage types. It's a strong class just by existing.

V_K

Arcane
Getting those wall climbing boots makes killing spiders so much more satisfactory. Where you gonna run now you little freak? *laughs in sneak attacks*
They also make for some epic visuals. At one point I had my rogue and a vampire exchange blows while standing on the sides of two adjacent pillars.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait this launch thursday? So how is it?
I've spent 19 hours on the game, and I have had a very fun and positive experience with it. Below are impressions I posted earlier in the thread, from 7 hours of play time.

Some ramblings.

I've been playing for seven hours. The game is lots of fun, camera be damned. In my opinion, the verticality and lighting do matter. I've used my mage and rogue archer from higher points, and it has helped a lot. Both in not getting them killed, and in doing nice damage, or lighting areas (wizard). I did a fight without much light, which was very stupid. My party kept missing most attacks and defensive rolls. Bring on the torch, and they had a much easier time of surviving. I can't say if the encounters are better than EA or not, but I guess if you didn't like that, you might not like the full game. I think four humans would be a good party, but I went dwarf fighter, halfling rogue, elf wizard, and human cleric. Classic four that seem to be filling their roles very nicely, for now.

The combat is fairly straightforward, turn-based, tactical, and fairly lethal if you don't make sure to light up environments. Your squishes are indeed squishy. Two or three successful hit on your wizard, and they're down. The fighter is very sturdy, especially the mountaineer, when you position him next to a wall. There's cover here and there, so that's what you can use, or when I fought spiders, I put him next to the wall and he was almost unstoppable, except some shitty rolls. Shoving a few enemies off ledges has also worked wonders. My party is level three. I haven't gotten to choose much in terms of feats and such. I've mostly been picking spells for the cleric and wizard. We'll see how it goes.

The city I have visited isn't huge, but it fills its purpose. You'll find a few shops and NPCs to talk to. Do your stuff, talk to people, sell/buy new gear, and accept new quests, then you go out on adventure. There's a world map that you travel on. Locations you are meant to visit will pop up. Choose the one you would like to travel to, and you'll get an estimated time of arrival. On the way, depending on how long your journey is from the city, you have a set amount of forced long rests. Be sure to bring rations! You can either travel slow, but safe. Medium pace, decently safe, or you can travel fast, but it's more risky. Depending on your pace, there is a higher chance to get attacked while camping. Be sure to be fit for dungeonerring.

I've liked the dungeons that I have visited so far. In the first place, there was an area that I found while traveling in "cautoius" mode, which will let you find secrets. Once I got there, it was a fairly big fight with goblins. Dungeons and the outside areas that I have visited don't feel to small. I personally feel a sense of adventure. Once you have no enemies in your vicinity, you can short rest, but there are also a campfire or two spread out in dungeons. Use that to take a long rest, replenish health and spells.

Overall, I've for some reason thought about Drakensang. It has that feeling to me. I say this in a good way. If it wasn't for the menus, I feel like this is a game that wasn't made in this day and age, which is a compliment. I'm a happy backer, and I can't wait to dive in tomorrow.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Darkvision is the reason I'll be always make inhumans in this game. Basically everyone has darkvision except for humans, and it's a huge dealbreaker. Most of the areas in the game are dark, and carrying torches is a pain in the ass.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
how does it work ? Also how the wiz work ?

3uKJm0k.jpeg

They don't. Sorcerer has some of the fewest spell knowns in the entire system, and a tiny spell list too. Sorcerer's niche is supposedly blasting, but he doesn't excel in it. There ARE several tricks that sorcerer can do, but no one else can, and they all relate either to Quicken Spell, Subtle Spell or (most often) Twin Spell. When you do cool shit as Sorcerer, it doesn't feel like you did something cool, it feels like you exploited the system and did something the rules didn't really intend.
Or you can just twin spell Haste on your party. That works.

This dude knows what he is talking about. You either quicken cantrips and become a pseudo fighter, throwing either two scaling 2d10 Firebolts or better two 2x1d10+3 Eldritch Blasts via multiclass salvos per turn, or you twin game winner spells like haste. If you don't take either twin spell or quicken your character is bottom tier immediatly. So you don't get much choice with your metamagic either.
One cool trick for playing Sorcs in 5e is that you can quicken cantrips on the turn you throw a big spell. So you can do Fireball + quickened Firebolt to finish off a straggler, which is a very potent way to open a fight.
Overall they are really hard to play well, and even if you play them well you will only situationally be better than a wizard.

That said their new subclasses are really fucking good. Tasha (newest 5e rule expansion book) has Clockwork and Aberrant Sorcerers, and with Psionic Spells and Clockwork magic they are no longer significantly worse than Wizards. So Solasta could make them work, if they push as much power into the subclasses as Tasha does.

V_K

Arcane
it's a huge dealbreaker
It really isn't. You still want your lighting spells ready because some monsters are healed or advantaged by the darkness, while others are damaged or disadvantaged by light. And then most of those spells are cantrips, so I really don't know why you'd use a torch.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
When is this release exactly? Like, is there a midnight release somewhere or is it the typical Steam release time?

Shrimp

Arbiter
So what's the verdict? I've seen a lot of the Kickstarter backers who had access to the full version talk about bugs and roadblocks. Should I just wait a couple of weeks for a post-launch patch?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
how Sorcerer class works on 5E
how does it work ? Also how the wiz work ?
Why you did what you just did? Gypsies ruin everything.
Sneaks behind whinehardt and steals his buttplug!
Even gypsies are not immune to decline. Your ancestors was stealing horses and wommynz, your cap is used buttplugs...
Yeah quite the decline,your generation had women and horse to steal,now your biggest treasure is a puttplug. :negative:

If only you were woman,i would have stolen you.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Are wiz still like in older iteration where they could learn all the spells from scrolls ?

Yes. On Solasta, you can literally inscribe on your spellbook. You get spells from scrolls and from leveling up. Solasta gives a bit of scrolls, scrolls aren't scarce like on Dark Sun games(which makes sense then being scarce), nor plentiful like Baldur's Gate 1/2. However, your spellbook has "pages" and inscribing spells on it takes space on Solasta. I don't know if it is a 5E rule or not.

Yeah, inscribing scrolls is quite costly tho. 50 gold x spell level. The money is often the more limiting factor than the scrolls itself, since you can copy spells from spellbooks aswell as from scrolls. Kill a wizard and you can loot all his spells, but the cost could be in the thousands, which is as much as a plate armor.
Standard 5e rules is 2 spells per level up inscribed for free and as many from scrolls as you want if you get the money and books for it.
Sounds like a decline system. Getting all wiz spells from a dead wiz sounds stupid and popamole. Also limiting the number of spells based on the book kills the reason why you would get a wiz lol. Wiz is good because of huge versatility it offers and being restricted only by the int it have. Fuck 5e is total retardation.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Are wiz still like in older iteration where they could learn all the spells from scrolls ?

Yes. On Solasta, you can literally inscribe on your spellbook. You get spells from scrolls and from leveling up. Solasta gives a bit of scrolls, scrolls aren't scarce like on Dark Sun games(which makes sense then being scarce), nor plentiful like Baldur's Gate 1/2. However, your spellbook has "pages" and inscribing spells on it takes space on Solasta. I don't know if it is a 5E rule or not.

Yeah, inscribing scrolls is quite costly tho. 50 gold x spell level. The money is often the more limiting factor than the scrolls itself, since you can copy spells from spellbooks aswell as from scrolls. Kill a wizard and you can loot all his spells, but the cost could be in the thousands, which is as much as a plate armor.
Standard 5e rules is 2 spells per level up inscribed for free and as many from scrolls as you want if you get the money and books for it.
Sounds like a decline system. Getting all wiz spells from a dead wiz sounds stupid and popamole. Also limiting the number of spells based on the book kills the reason why you would get a wiz lol. Wiz is good because of huge versatility it offers and being restricted only by the int it have. Fuck 5e is total retardation.
I'm not sure why you think this is limited to 5th ed?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I'm not sure why you think this is limited to 5th ed?
Because it was not in 3.5 and nobody plays the ones in between,so it is irrelevant if it is limited to 5e only lol. It is a shitty thing all around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom