Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

What's the point if they're going to re-iterate the addon cycle again?

So that people without giant autism have a chance at tackling Naxxramas or Sunwell (or at least enough time to try), or have the xpac validity forcibly removed from them.

No F R E S H TBC = no play from me or any of my friends (besides one who I got incredibly addicted and doesn't want fresh servers to steal the rest of his guild away due to spending so much time and real money on building his characters). Still betting Blizzard will surprise release F R E S H servers very soon before release, at max 2 weeks out but possibly 5 days or so before official launch.

Also, Blizzard's fix to the drum issue just made the issue worse and fixed nothing when the entire community was already in agreement that just enabling the tinnitus debuff that was already in the game's code was the sensible solution. In response to this, I am refusing to EVER take LW as a raider, whether I want to parse or not. If I am unable to raid due to metaslaves saying I am undeserving of a spot, I will simply no longer play the game and take my money elsewhere, whether it's back to XIV or another game or genre entirely. I did my time in Classic, I will be a slave to consumables and buffs no more. I am not a number, I am a free man!

Generic-Giant-Spider

TBC will be ruined by the same thing that ruined Classic and that is you're playing the game with Blizzard autists that think if you don't have a buff that gives you 3% more main stat that you have to go out of your way for and schedule your life around then you're holding everyone back.

The real fun in these games is buying shitloads of gold and making a twink from Hell to terrorize a lowbie bracket.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
WoW's pivoting away from the things people liked in classic was by design. Most of the good things of WoW classic were coincidental and largely taken from EQ.
EQ was always about the journey and the community. It wasn't a race to max level to go sit in a queue to get gear to sit in another queue to get gear ad infinitum.

Why do you think they relented on having a classic server for so long? The designers legitimately don't like the part of classic that actually appeals to people.
Actually, a lot of it has to do with the fact that most of the Blizzard development staff left sometime before launch, iirc. It's unclear whether they left of their own accord or because of "restructuring" but a lot of Blizzard devs left to Arenanet to make Guild Wars 1 (and left before GW2 was made, which tried to be a fucking WoW clone) or the Hellgate: London team.

So shortly before release, Blizzard ceased to be Blizzard, and the main people left in charge were the likes of Furor, Tigole, and Enoyis who were "hardcore" guild leaders in Everquest. They wasted no time shitting up the game for their idealized raiding endgame, making excessive grind a part of damn near everything, and shitting up classes. The biggest reason why Dire Maul was a better dungeon than most shit that they came up with later is because it was already designed for the most part by old Blizz back when the WoW team wasn't just absolute raid-whores and they just slapped finishing touches on it for release.

They left because Vivendi, their owner was unhappy with the developement cycle and the results and demanded the game to be Everquestified; WoW kind of used to be a different beast in pre-alphas. More of a RP-RPG than what was released. This corporate meddling caused basically entire Blizzard North to quit in protest as well as several other key employees.

Absinthe

Arcane
They left because Vivendi, their owner was unhappy with the developement cycle and the results and demanded the game to be Everquestified; WoW kind of used to be a different beast in pre-alphas. More of a RP-RPG than what was released. This corporate meddling caused basically entire Blizzard North to quit in protest as well as several other key employees.
Huh. I did hear something about Vivendi being behind it, but I couldn't find any details. Do you have any?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Huh. I did hear something about Vivendi being behind it, but I couldn't find any details. Do you have any?

It'll be a hard dig to find but I'll try. It was spoken about by former Blizzard employees in interviews forever ago but perhaps those articles still exist.

Shitposter
TBC will be ruined by the same thing that ruined Classic and that is you're playing the game with Blizzard autists that think if you don't have a buff that gives you 3% more main stat that you have to go out of your way for and schedule your life around then you're holding everyone back.

The real fun in these games is buying shitloads of gold and making a twink from Hell to terrorize a lowbie bracket.

f5oqlkk.jpg

A lot of people may have quit but I recall Mark Kern stating in an interview later on that prior to WoWs launch he did have to inform a lot of people (that didn't want to quit according to him) that they were fired on demand from higher up management.

Absinthe

Arcane
Also running towards the tank not away from him if you pulled aggro was part of the basics.
Classic scenario.
That's why you learn to off-tank with every class that is even somewhat capable of it. These idiots wipe dungeon runs if you don't take the aggro off of them. If you're a Warlock or Hunter, use your tanking pet in dungeons and let them OT the adds while you heal the pet, then OT yourself if you have to. If you're Druid, Shaman, or Paladin, just OT it yourself. If you're a Rogue, try stuns and evasion tanking. I pretty much consider OT an unofficial Warlock role because people will fuck up aggro and then you should let your VW OT the add, heal VW with Health Funnel while it tanks (DoT the add first), then Sacrifice VW as it dies and use Searing Pain to pull threat, then Drain-tank under VW shield, then drain-tank some more while healthstoning and potting. You can get some lengthy 1-man, no healer off-tanking done that way in order to prevent wipes while everyone else is busy being retarded (also, try to fear mobs into the direction you already cleared, if you can). If you're SL Warlock obviously dungeon tanking is a breeze. IIRC Shadow Priests can tank too, between their massive armor self-buff and Shadowform.

A lot of people may have quit but I recall Mark Kern stating in an interview later on that prior to WoWs launch he did have to inform a lot of people (that didn't want to quit according to him) that they were fired on demand from higher up management.
Ah ouch.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Classic TBC is coming out on June 1st, with the pre-patch allowing you to level TBC races coming out May 18th; https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/wowclassic

The Jews are Blizzard couldn't help themselves and are also adding a slew of paid content like store mounts, toys and special items; https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/n...-with-the-dark-portal-pass-and-deluxe-edition

This is in addition to the already announced paid level 58 boost.
Less than 2 weeks of pre patch seems short.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The mount is just wtf. It's supposed to be classic you idiots, how it once was! Blizzard just can't help cram their shit from retail into it, it seems.

Ninjerk

Arcane
The mount is just wtf. It's supposed to be classic you idiots, how it once was! Blizzard just can't help cram their shit from retail into it, it seems.
TBC was the beginning of the soulless cash grab, so in that regard it's just like how classic was.

Syl

Cipher
Blizzard fans are becoming quite old, it would'nt be reasonable to gather them all in the same place with Covid around. ;)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Blizzard fans are becoming quite old, it would'nt be reasonable to gather them all in the same place with Covid around. ;)

If they are still Blizzard fans after everything Blizzard has done since its heydays it would be a mercy kill

Ravielsk

Magister
If they are still Blizzard fans after everything Blizzard has done since its heydays it would be a mercy kill

It would not shock me if most of their audience were just hold overs who cannot let go and streamers posses. Literary nothing I hear about the game these days sounds good and the retards defending it sound dumber by the keystroke. Listening to asmogold respond to his chat makes this super obvious. The guy spends most of his time collecting mounts because those are the only thing worth something left in the game and his fucking chat then proceeds to defend a mount shop in TBC. Its as if they want him to just stream his amazon wishlist so they can buy it up for him.

Codex Year of the Donut
non-linear dungeons aren't possible anymore because people don't go into dungeons to explore and complete quests but to complete them as fast as possible for whatever bullshit dungeon finder rewards they give out now

If you want good dungeons, go play DDO, nothing else even comes close.
is that game still alive?
Has a decent population base, but their marketing team is garbage and a major reason it's not more popular.
Check out the codex thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom