Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Sims 3 with swords

71239_LB_231_%5E_2013-01-13-13-00-55_b5e3f2ad1d3f06ea8d3d10edc57b7c47e649968a987ff4ee3fa9a878fe66f827.jpg

I like the direction of this dlc, I expect there won't be that many events at launch but this is where modders come in to pick up the slack once the skeleton of a cool feature is set up.
Wouldn't mind something similar for councils.

Last edited:
Sims 3 with swords

71239_LB_231_%5E_2013-01-13-13-00-55_b5e3f2ad1d3f06ea8d3d10edc57b7c47e649968a987ff4ee3fa9a878fe66f827.jpg

I like the direction of this dlc, I expect there won't be that many events at launch but this is where modders come in to pick the slack once the skeleton of a cool feature is set up.
Wouldn't mind something similar for councils.
Sims Medieval was a move away from the more sandbox nature of the Sims and a half-step toward a Sims RPG, though. Less construction going on (Basically no building houses and shit yourself, minimal rearranging furniture) and with a half-assed take on doing quests to improve stats and stuff. Not really a terrible idea for a spinoff since that'd make the asset requirements not as steep but they should've put more effort into the "Constructed sandbox" angle. Bit more CYOA love with alternate paths, C&C, etc. I enjoy me some Sims and enjoy me some CYOA though so I might be in the minority for liking the general idea behind the game and wish they executed it better instead of just doing a regular medieval skin for the Sims. Sims Medieval also didn't have any tasteful rape mods unlike 2, 3, and 4 so that's a knock against it too. I HAVE STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT THE SIMS MEDIEVAL

480FC73683B40DBEFC04EE4E20ECA8332EBA9118

Trithne

Erudite
I don't really get what cultures bring to the table. Say, you're a viking lord. Your Asatru faith makes certain character traits virtuous and desirable (like Vengeful), while others (Craven) not so much. It also enables blots and makes the vikings more warlike. But what would Norse culture define about you?

There's one example of not having cultural mechanics that comes to mind - Ireland. Insular Christian was made so that Christian Irish kings could have multiple wives, because they couldn't just attach it to Irish culture.

Larianshill

Arbiter
There's one example of not having cultural mechanics that comes to mind - Ireland. Insular Christian was made so that Christian Irish kings could have multiple wives, because they couldn't just attach it to Irish culture.
Hopefully, that means Insular Christian is going away. It's just so fucking weird and out of place.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I've just tried picking this up again but I can't get into it. At the same time I don't really want to spend a huge sum of money to buy the rest of the game whenever it gets released, which is what happened to me with EU4.

Are there any mods that make the game worth it in people's opinion?

thesecret1

Arcane
That Godherja mod looks interesting. Anyone here tried it, is it good?
I tried it about half a year back, so a lot of things could have changed in the meantime, but at that time, it was a pretty decent setting with some nifty mechanics, utterly brought down by vanilla mechanics being retarded. For example, there's this big empire and there's an invading force, right? Well, said invading force gets CBs on kingdoms (as in, all holdings, down to every last baron, get seized by invader), is free to spam them as much as it wants, and gets enough event troops to roll over everything. That alone wouldn't be THAT big a problem... except they can also culture convert at the speed of light. A decade after the conquest, it's all culture converted already.

Maybe they fixed shit since then, though.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Against my better judgement, I decided to try this. Started as a one-county realm on the coast of Wales in 867. On my first attempt the neighbor I was planning to take over got taken over by the biggest Welsh realm around. Ok, typical failure of a CK minor campaign. I started anew. Before the second year of my rule had passed, my single county got raided by some vikings. Since practically all of my territory was being raided, I wasn't able to raise levies to chase the raiders away. The raid reached 100%, my character, and his pregnant wife got captured, gg. :lol:

kangaxx

Arbiter
Against my better judgement, I decided to try this. Started as a one-county realm on the coast of Wales in 867. On my first attempt the neighbor I was planning to take over got taken over by the biggest Welsh realm around. Ok, typical failure of a CK minor campaign. I started anew. Before the second year of my rule had passed, my single county got raided by some vikings. Since practically all of my territory was being raided, I wasn't able to raise levies to chase the raiders away. The raid reached 100%, my character, and his pregnant wife got captured, gg. :lol:

I honestly think this game is boring compared to EU. They're both map painters but at least EU has a full game released, years after the launch. The last patch destroyed the game, sure. But still.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
CK3 is such a shitshow. They wasted all their development time on bullshit instead of actual mechanics. Playing 1 holding minors always sucks in Paradox games and justifiably so. Convincing people that was a legitimate playstyle was a marketing mistake.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
CK3 is such a shitshow. They wasted all their development time on bullshit instead of actual mechanics. Playing 1 holding minors always sucks in Paradox games and justifiably so. Convincing people that was a legitimate playstyle was a marketing mistake.
My impression so far is that CK3 represents everything about Paradox' latest generation of games - offer less in quantity, quality, which in practice raises the price, but put all the steam into presentation and marketing. The sheep will still buy it and make sounds of approval.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I and i suppose many others here are old school gamers. I have noticed that the new gen of gamers aren't really into quality games, they are more into fads, gimmicks, memes, and social networking, than actually playing quality games.

That is why garbage games like CK3 can sell like hotcakes because they allow the morons to make memes about incest and shit. The gameplay maybe garbage but hey, you can do meme-worthy shit and post them on reddit!

AwesomeButton

Patron
Lol, I'm playing the tutorial now: as could be expected, Paradox have done nothing to innovate in the combat, you still get shit like 10-month long sieges of some backwater shithole keep in the 11th century. But hey, 3D portraits! :lol: Pathetic.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Is CK3 vanilla more barebones than CK2 vanilla?

I mean it is probably less barebones. Not even counting good mechanics like secrets and individual vassal stuff it has the focus trees and then it has the dumb useless shit. But it has been 10 years since CK2 so the bar is higher. So in relative terms it is more barebones because expectations and dev experience is higher.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It absolutely is more barebones because they just HAD to focus on expanding the map into places nobody gives a shit about. The end result is that a nigger tribal plays exactly the same as a Viking.

Starting as a 1 holding minor is very well supported in CK3. There's a few areas of the map where it's a shitshow (anywhere liable to be raided by vikings = fuck you), but aside from that CK3 makes it way too easy to expand and snowball as a count.

thesecret1

Arcane

Starting as a 1 holding minor is very well supported in CK3. There's a few areas of the map where it's a shitshow (anywhere liable to be raided by vikings = fuck you), but aside from that CK3 makes it way too easy to expand and snowball as a count.
He said playing, as in staying an OPM for the entirety of the game

Harthwain

Magister
Is CK3 vanilla more barebones than CK2 vanilla?
CK3 has more stuff at release than CK2 had when it was released. But I can understand the "IT'S FUCKING RAW!" mindset if someone is looking at CK3 from the perspective of CK2 with all its DLCs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom