Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Storm Ground - turn-based tactics with cards

Harthwain

Magister
I am suprised there is still no gameplay (just some trailer).

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Looks decent. I don't know why the fuck they bother using cards since the cards are just loot or whatever. Graphics are nice, music is a bit over the top.

Olinser

Savant
Looks decent. I don't know why the fuck they bother using cards since the cards are just loot or whatever. Graphics are nice, music is a bit over the top.

So they can squeeze extra money out of idiots by selling rare cards for people that don't want to farm for them.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

So they can squeeze extra money out of idiots by selling rare cards for people that don't want to farm for them.

or it's a design-by-buzzword, the devs/producers saw that cardbuilding games was somehow trending in other genres and decided to add it

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
I was bored so picked it up. Will watch the review there after I finish writing this. It's pretty polished in some ways, it certainly has all the hallmarks of the GW styleguide being followed to the letter. The environments are nice, the models are ok while animations are a bit janky. If you're into AoS, I'm not, then the lore stuff - which is pretty extensive and all voiced - will be really sweet. The card system isn't so bad for a roguelite, some limited carry over of units when you wipe for your next run and you keep your items and skills gathered, not that it's particularly challenging per se.

Against that, the UI at 1440p is an absolute mess of huge tooltip boxes and information hidden away in unintuitive places. The actual gameplay is really cramped to the point where it feels like you're playing noughts and crosses. It has that horrible problem where you can't scroll in that bit further to really make sense of the clusterfuck of a crowded few adjacent hexes.

Typical mission is you take five units onto an 8x8 map and then face two waves of 6 mobs and a boss. And rinse and repeat. It's dull. There's some synergies to skills but not nearly enough to really keep interest past a few hours. Looking back at a few hours play, my sense of it is that it'd be a really decent combat portion of a much bigger strategy game. As a standalone, it's lacking. Othercide did something similar far better, and by being much more focused, than this. Overall, a genuinely middle of the range game. Neither utterly awful nor particularly attractive.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Sounds like it's an OK game but maybe a tad bit overpriced for what it is, then?

Edit: Then again I'm a combatfag so maybe what it does is enough for me. I see the game being called a roguelite/roguelike a lot, but I'm guessing it's thrown by morons who don't know what the genre actually is? What's your opinion on that claim?

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Sounds like it's an OK game but maybe a tad bit overpriced for what it is, then?

Edit: Then again I'm a combatfag so maybe what it does is enough for me. I see the game being called a roguelite/roguelike a lot, but I'm guessing it's thrown by morons who don't know what the genre actually is? What's your opinion on that claim?

Three hours here. It's a roguelite. Death is permanent for warband members(in runs) and progression is doled out for dead enemies at the end of the run. Most of the objectives are kind of boring, there's far less randomness to the combat than other Warhammer games, and overall it feels very very very close to Warhammer Underworlds Online. With the hexes and such, but WUO has far, far more interesting ways to win. The elimination aspect is a complete slap in the face considering how often roguelites and likes allow you to run away, you are forced to kill enemies, and sometimes the game will end up in such a way that you will have to lose a unit just to get a bunch of them close enough to kill an enemy that spawned on the other side of the map(and it has range).

There's a good enough army painter, main, secondary and trim customization with a massive color swatch, but not as deep as others.

The lore aspects are alright, its very S&S inspired, and I say that because the term "cur" has appeared many times.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
It's trying to be a roguelite. But the emphasis really is on the lite. Essentially when you restart your hero automatically is with you from where you left off and then you select up to two of your existing units to come with you. But you keep all your equipment etc to then put on new units as you collect them again. And it's the equipment and skills which matter because the level cap for units is just 3 and it's absolutely no chore to cap them either by missions or through sacrificing junk items to give them XP. Campaigns do vary by start but missions don't seem to be procedurally generated, from c.10 hours played and 1 1/2 campaigns complete (out of 9 technically, 3 repeats at escalating difficulty for each faction) it seems that each branch of missions are pulled from a pool and you then choose between those random branches as you move forward. Honestly not sure what you'd call that which honestly summarises it in a word or two.

If you're picking it up anyway than an hour or two's play will tell you all you need to know about how combat will be for each faction. Think I was 5 hours in to get the Sigmarines 'faction complete' achievement and to see if not all then most of the synergies possible with them. I'm underwhelmed by it while seeing it's not a terrible effort at trying to capture a fitting theme for each faction. It's very snowbally as it's currently balanced, like my hero is currently only damageable by things which bypass armour entirely and heals if attacked in close combat with a skill which forces things to attack her in close combat, and the tight maps and restricted 'army' sizes feel cramped no matter that it takes you three or four turns to cross from one side to the other with most units. It has more nuance etc. than a game of Endless Legend's combat over and over again but it's not a great sign that every battle reminds me of that.

Mediocre is where I'm with it in terms of gameplay.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Nurgle is kinda hard to play. Their units feel too weak and you're not supposed to lose them, except for Nurglings, but then I can't really make corruption without Nurglings. Also the Nurgle VA is cringe on a level where it actively hinders my enjoyment. Sigmarines were way easier but too vanilla and Nurgle is the only faction that interests me anyway.

Beowulf

Arcane
Is there at least MP in this AoS abomination? And if so, is it card driven?

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
Nurgle is kinda hard to play. Their units feel too weak and you're not supposed to lose them, except for Nurglings, but then I can't really make corruption without Nurglings. Also the Nurgle VA is cringe on a level where it actively hinders my enjoyment. Sigmarines were way easier but too vanilla and Nurgle is the only faction that interests me anyway.

I only did the basic campaign for Nurgle. Where most of my complaints about UI scaling came from because of the tooltip issue once the map starts to be covered by corruption pools. If you can kite your way to start getting the items and skills which churn out corruption then it gets a fair amount easier and starts making more sense of how things fit together. I was running hero caster and an additional one to make use of the ability to near cover the map. It starts snowballing really quickly once you've got 3 nergling spawns able to do the final seed for free and items and summons which throw out complete pools at the start of every turn.

---

There is MP. I know nothing beyond that because I have absolutely no interest in it sorry Beowulf. Did just check to see if there was anything useful in the MP screen and options but no. Well other than there being 74 people across all platforms currently playing or looking for an MP game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I only did the basic campaign for Nurgle. Where most of my complaints about UI scaling came from because of the tooltip issue once the map starts to be covered by corruption pools. If you can kite your way to start getting the items and skills which churn out corruption then it gets a fair amount easier and starts making more sense of how things fit together. I was running hero caster and an additional one to make use of the ability to near cover the map. It starts snowballing really quickly once you've got 3 nergling spawns able to do the final seed for free and items and summons which throw out complete pools at the start of every turn.

Thanks, I had hoped that this might be the case. You confirmed that my fear will be remedied later on.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Beowulf MadMaxHellfire I'm 100% serious, AoS is a fantastic miniatures wargame with slick rules and has been for like, three years now. 1e was a disaster and the people in charge of making it good were all fired and replaced by people that weren't morons. I still see people seething about the "if you have a nicer beard you get two more attacks" nonsense and homies - that died in 2018, where you been? There's far more creativity in it currently as well, with tons of interesting factions of all kinds, many of your favorites and even more new ones. You might scoff at the steampunk dwarves but the minis are fun to paint and assemble, and flying around the battlefield and dropping troops on objectives is fun. There's also a lot more model variety coming out out of AoS versus 40k at the moment, which has done nothing for years besides shit out space marines. They invented a new kind of space marine so they could sell space marines again to everyone who already has space marines. People complain about the stormcasts but aside from being put in starter sets (they are very easy to paint) they aren't given the same level of ridiculous attention that Space Marines get where every single release involves at least one required minute of Astartes dicksucking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom