Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

Baron Dupek

Arcane
People complain about lack of offline installers.
So GOG Galaxy only for now...

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
upload_2021-5-27_14-17-48.png

so the butthurt failed to downvote it :)

copebot

Learned
So, I guess the verdict is that it's worth it on GamePass at least to try out but probably not as a purchase at anything but a sharp discount?

Is the gameplay alright? I don't really care about the story. If I remember right the complaints at launch were about some combination of Epic and how enemies would spawn right on top of you endlessly and that there was no real mission design.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is the gameplay alright?

when I played it back in the day, what I didn't liked was the map design and its repetitiveness, weak AI, how the enemy spawn and the fact that at some point, the game fails to keep you engaged.
but the map design just destroys this game

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I spent an hour playing the career mode. In terms of the mechbay and management screens, I prefer the HBS version, but otoh the HBS game is slow as shit even on the menu screens. MW5 is fast and smooth at everything, loading takes seconds, it's a great experience in terms of performance. I just don't know why the mech market is accessed from a different area than the regular market, etc.

In terms of combat... I would describe it as MW4 Twitch Edition, or maybe MW4 Lite. My mech turns on a dime and moves very fast, although that might be because I was piloting a Javelin. It did not feel like MW: Online, but maybe the heavier mechs handle a lot differently. I wouldn't say I hate the handling, I just prefer my memories of older MW titles. The pace of combat in this version makes it feel less cerebral, and some of the mech control options are inferior or outright missing. For example, the option to look to the sides and use your arms, which was well done in MW4 and I used it frequently - you would hold down a key and it entirely shifted the view, while the mouse would do the fine aiming at that new perspective.

The lance instructions are simplified to the point of being useless. It doesn't seem to matter what I tell them, they kind of do their own thing. Maps don't have extensive nav-points like MW4, and even if they did there is no option to tell your lance mates to go to a nav point. At most you can aim your weapons at a spot you can see, and tell your lancemate to stand there. Whether they obey or not is up in the air. Speaking of nav points and lite-edition, that brings me to the fact that hand-crafted missions are superior to randomly generated dogshit.

The missions I played just involved a generic paragraph or two describing the mission objective, and then I was just dropped in to what is closer to a multiplayer death match game. The enemy comes in waves and you do your best to kill them, and then you win. In an older/superior game like MW4, the missions had a detailed explanation, and that explanation tied into a clear mission structure that you played through as you went from nav point to nav point. There were some nice plot twists too, like the enemy surprising you with a trap and the nav points/mission changing on the fly, and your teammates were easy to order around and they worked well with you.

An hour is not enough time, and I have only played a light mech, but I get the sense that this is a slightly shittier version of mechwarrior 4. I did enjoy playing, and I would increase the score to MW4 or better if the mission structure improves and I have some opportunity to explore the maps and deploy particular tactics. There are apparently flashpoints, which are hand crafted missions. There's also a campaign, but I don't think I get to play that until I reach level 4 in career mode; maybe the campaign is amazing and will change my thinking.

Last edited:

copebot

Learned
Is the gameplay alright?

when I played it back in the day, what I didn't liked was the map design and its repetitiveness, weak AI, how the enemy spawn and the fact that at some point, the game fails to keep you engaged.
but the map design just destroys this game

Thanks. That's what I was concerned about: that's too bad that they didn't manage to fix that. Mechwarrior Mercs is such a good game concept and it's weird that it hasn't been remade and rebooted a zillion times by now. It's probably related to how screwed up the licensing situation has been, not unlike how D&D managed to fail to whore itself out for a long time.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I wouldn't play it without the DLC. It addresses a lot of complaints with the original release.
Did it fixed the weird spawn system where people were complaining about enemies spawning inside your shooting range? When I heard about that, I noped out of this thing imediatly.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I wouldn't play it without the DLC. It addresses a lot of complaints with the original release.
Did it fixed the weird spawn system where people were complaining about enemies spawning inside your shooting range? When I heard about that, I noped out of this thing imediatly.
Not exactly. There are handcrafted missions now but there's still plenty of randomly generated bs. I hear the spawning system is better now but I'm only about an hour into my new play through with the expansion

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm too lazy to research--does the DLC add on to the main campaign, extend it, or is it a whole new separate game mode?

It has a new game mode called "career" that is basically the same as the career mode from HBS' Battletech. It consists of randomly generated scenarios, hand-crafted flashpoint scenarios, and the original campaign missions.

Cael

Arcane
I spent an hour playing the career mode. In terms of the mechbay and management screens, I prefer the HBS version, but otoh the HBS game is slow as shit even on the menu screens. MW5 is fast and smooth at everything, loading takes seconds, it's a great experience in terms of performance. I just don't know why the mech market is accessed from a different area than the regular market, etc.

In terms of combat... I would describe it as MW4 Twitch Edition, or maybe MW4 Lite. My mech turns on a dime and moves very fast, although that might be because I was piloting a Javelin. It did not feel like MW: Online, but maybe the heavier mechs handle a lot differently. I wouldn't say I hate the handling, I just prefer my memories of older MW titles. The pace of combat in this version makes it feel less cerebral, and some of the mech control options are inferior or outright missing. For example, the option to look to the sides and use your arms, which was well done in MW4 and I used it frequently - you would hold down a key and it entirely shifted the view, while the mouse would do the fine aiming at that new perspective.

The lance instructions are simplified to the point of being useless. It doesn't seem to matter what I tell them, they kind of do their own thing. Maps don't have extensive nav-points like MW4, and even if they did there is no option to tell your lance mates to go to a nav point. At most you can aim your weapons at a spot you can see, and tell your lancemate to stand there. Whether they obey or not is up in the air. Speaking of nav points and lite-edition, that brings me to the fact that hand-crafted missions are superior to randomly generated dogshit.

The missions I played just involved a generic paragraph or two describing the mission objective, and then I was just dropped in to what is closer to a multiplayer death match game. The enemy comes in waves and you do your best to kill them, and then you win. In an older/superior game like MW4, the missions had a detailed explanation, and that explanation tied into a clear mission structure that you played through as you went from nav point to nav point. There were some nice plot twists too, like the enemy surprising you with a trap and the nav points/mission changing on the fly, and your teammates were easy to order around and they worked well with you.

An hour is not enough time, and I have only played a light mech, but I get the sense that this is a slightly shittier version of mechwarrior 4. I did enjoy playing, and I would increase the score to MW4 or better if the mission structure improves and I have some opportunity to explore the maps and deploy particular tactics. There are apparently flashpoints, which are hand crafted missions. There's also a campaign, but I don't think I get to play that until I reach level 4 in career mode; maybe the campaign is amazing and will change my thinking.
Compare that with a Jenner or a Spider. A Javelin has average speed for a light 'mech.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Compare that with a Jenner or a Spider. A Javelin has average speed for a light 'mech.

I'm in a shadowhawk now, I put an AC10 on it. I wish it could kick and punch, but that's a general issue with all mechwarrior titles. The extra 100 metres in range from the AC10 is nice, and the game seems a little less twitchy.

I did a "multi-mission" quest thing, basically the Capellans asked me to investigate some message. It was just the same as the regular pre-gen missions, though; they just strung two generic missions together and awarded me a bonus prize for completing them. If these missions don't start offering some substance, I'm going to downgrade this from MW4 lite to just pure shit.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I tried to get into the BT lore but it takes itself way too seriously with its grand and pompous characters that pierce thorugh the cynicism of mankind or whatever. Lore in these wargames is mostly a pretext for conflit ; you have to write around the idea of perpetual war... in BT none of it makes much sense ; the factions are essentially annihilating themselves to shit in a universe that potentially has infinite ressources. Sure they're fighting over what's already developped, but nothing stops anyone from developing something new. In a universe without limits you really can't see why humanity would be at war at all. In the end it's all just a big projection of speculation of warfare in the '80, except that it makes no sense because they have no electronic warfare. So you get the big robots instead, but, eh, the science fiction elements are barebones, there's nothing conceptual about it. All this pseudo-military shit is boring as hell, although ironically BT seems to attract military-minded guys. Fuck 'em.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I actually really enjoy Battletech lore. I've spent far too much time reading books and watching videos on it. Tex Talks Battletech is an especially good series. Here's a good starter for anyone who might be interested in the lore

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom