Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Some of the Pop professions you will encounter in Victoria 3 are Aristocrats, Capitalists, Bureaucrats, Officers, Shopkeepers, Machinists, Laborers, and Peasants.

I won't even be surprised if they actually call all farmers in the game from all cultures around the world "peasants".

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm trying to understand the normies' reverence for Victoria 2, but all I can explain it with is just that this period is less well-known than the Middle Ages or the Early Modern period.

Vicky 2 is full to the brim with stupid game mechanics, like the influence nation mechanic, the budget sliders (taken straight out of as HoI3 and going all the way back to EU1), the "AI Builds Factories=Laissez-Faire capitalism" concept, and many others, most of them transplanted directly from other games and not fitting the specific age.

It's a lot easier to name the good parts:
- Great powers club, getting special mechanics for being a member
- Growing from a late-medieval state to an industrialized regional power as Japan for example
- Playing the game of postponing reforms and haggling with political movements
- Condensed, in comparison to their other games, historical period being the focus of the game
- For once, a good soundtrack, because they took actual music instead of torturing people with their own compositions
- Probably a couple of other things I'm missing but not more than 2-3.
Edit:
- Oh yes, if you are the kind of illiterate gamer mixing up historical contexts - there is the giggles-inducing opportunity to play a cartoonish racist, with the joke being that the cartoon is drawn by the same rabid SJWs you claim to hate. :)

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I'm trying to understand the normies' reverence for Victoria 2, but all I can explain it with is just that this period is less well-known than the Middle Ages or the Early Modern period.

It is a factor, but not the only one. It is also the economic part of the game, it is more developed than other paradox games of the time.

Vicky 2 is full to the brim with stupid game mechanics, like the influence nation mechanic, the budget sliders (taken straight out of as HoI3 and going all the way back to EU1), the "AI Builds Factories=Laissez-Faire capitalism" concept, and many others, most of them transplanted directly from other games and not fitting the specific age.

Yeah, like every other Paradox game in existence. Victoria II was the best Paradox game of its era, but that is damning it with faint praise. Paradox has always been making overrated trash.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Compare Imperialism 2 to Vicky 2 and you will see how solid gameplay and simple but elegant systems always pwn mega big ass kitchen sink soya sandbox design.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
As a big fan of Imperialism, but actually not a huge fan of the sequel, I still like Vicky more. Imperialism is more polished of course but Vicky 2 like CK2 has/had tons of potential. The problem of course is Paradox never actualized the potential of their games.

Silva

Arcane
Compare Imperialism 2 to Vicky 2 and you will see how solid gameplay and simple but elegant systems always pwn mega big ass kitchen sink soya sandbox design.
Are you sure you're not letting your hate-clouded vision speak here? What I remember from Imperialism 2 was a more fleshed-out Colonize, with zero of the social/political/industrial/economical simulation that Vicky2 aims for.

See, the problem with the kind of criticisms that are cropping up now is that when you ask the critics "Ok, what game does it better than Vicky2 then?" nobody has a honest good answer. Instead citing theoretical bullshit or games which scope has absolutely nothing to do with Pdox games (like Imperialism).

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
See, the problem with the kind of criticisms that are cropping up now - like they always do - is that the when you ask the critics "Ok, what game does it better than Vicky2 then?" nobody has a honest good answer. Instead citing theoretical bullshit or games which scope has absolutely nothing to do with Pdox games (like Imperialism).
Retarded argument. Things can be shit even when no direct equivalents exist or they're even worse.

Instead citing theoretical bullshit or games which scope has absolutely nothing to do with Pdox games (like Imperialism).
Game about 19th century imperialism has absolutely nothing to do with other game about 19th century imperialism.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Harthwain

Magister
I got interested in this Imperialism you guys talk about. On the surface level it looks like Civilization. How it looks in detail? And which is better; Imperialism I or Imperialism II?

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's very different from Civilization. It's worth playing. I would not blame anyone who gets bored with it. I would say that you have to be interested in that historical period to enjoy it.

I find Imperialism II to be much more gamey. I guess that's why it's more popular. It doesn't really try to follow history in the way that an earlier game like Imperialism I or Conquest of the New World was expected to.

Silva

Arcane
Retarded argument. Things can be shit even when no direct equivalents exist or they're even worse.
Except we're talking about Vicky2 here, the best game to come out of the Pdox formula. Which makes you...

A) a retardo for pouring hundreds of hours into EU4, a game clearly inferior to the one you're calling shit. Or

B) a troll for talking shit in a discussion about games you dont even like.

So what are you, a retardo or a troll?

:hmmm:

Last edited:

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I got interested in this Imperialism you guys talk about. On the surface level it looks like Civilization. How it looks in detail? And which is better; Imperialism I or Imperialism II?
It's fantastic, but it can snowball pretty hard. Like, your merchant fleet can get annihilated in one bad war and that puts you in the dump for quite a while. I prefer 2 but i didn't play 1 much.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I'm playing vicky 2 right now and man this game has a ton of problems. First of all the infamy system is complete dogshit. Second, there's a massive shortage of almost all raw resources. So if you don't control any cotton provinces, forget about making (or having clothes). If you don't control iron, forget about having steel, etc. Third, the internal migration system is a complete mess, doesn't work and makes no sense at all. You can have a million unemployed laborers in one province and in the next one have a giant empty goldmine with no workers to work in. The tech tree is alright, but it kind of sucks that every civilized nation has the same capacity to research. And I wish ideas and technology were separated. Other than that it's pretty good.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Except we're talking about Vicky2 here, the best game to come out of the Pdox formula. Which makes you...

A) a retardo for pouring hundreds of hours into EU4, a game clearly inferior to the one you're calling shit. Or

B) a troll for talking shit in a discussion about games you dont even like.

So what are you, a retardo or a troll?

:hmmm:
You seemed to have rolled a 1 on your reading comprehension, insight and logic checks.

I actually quite like the Vickys though they certainly have their share of issues. I just pointed out your argument is retarded in general. And I certainly don't see what EU4 has to do with any of this.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Without going too much into detail I can say that the aim is have fewer but more dangerous rebellions, and more forms of 'limited' civil unrest so the constant first resort of angry pops isn't rising up and marching on the capital. We also want all rebellions to have the potential for foreign involvement.
We've gone to great lengths exposing the data underneath to the interface and making it as transparent as possible. It's alot to grasp but if you start as a small nation you should be able to connect the dots eventually. So when you tinker with your economy it responds predictably.
One of the most frustrating Victoria 2 experiences in my opinion is when the economy crashes a decade in for some obscure reason and it being no fault of your own.
So, just to answer OP's original UI question (and a lot of the discussions related to it):
Yes, both the look and the functionality of the UI is a constant work in progress and it will be be worked on every day until release.

Also, yes, both the Victoria 3 team and the CK3 team has seen the CountCristo video.
Korea is currently a Tributary (highly autonomous subject) of Qing at game start
Generally we're not representing every tributary of Qing as a subject, it depends on how much the Qing government tended to meddle in their domestic affairs in the mid-19th century.
There might well be an argument that Korea should be treated as fully independent (same as say, Dai Nam or Nepal), to my knowledge the Qing were generally more directly involved in Korea in the mid-19th century than in many of the other tributaries but I'm hardly an expert on the subject.
What countries to represent and not represent as subjects and which types can be a super tricky subject to research and make a decision and I'm certainly not confident we will get everything right, so I do think conversations on topics like this are important. Ultimately the goal is to get as close to history as we can in the game mechanics we have

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm playing vicky 2 right now and man this game has a ton of problems. First of all the infamy system is complete dogshit. Second, there's a massive shortage of almost all raw resources. So if you don't control any cotton provinces, forget about making (or having clothes). If you don't control iron, forget about having steel, etc. Third, the internal migration system is a complete mess, doesn't work and makes no sense at all. You can have a million unemployed laborers in one province and in the next one have a giant empty goldmine with no workers to work in. The tech tree is alright, but it kind of sucks that every civilized nation has the same capacity to research. And I wish ideas and technology were separated. Other than that it's pretty good.

The research is actually somewhat varied between nations as it partially depends on literacy and POPs so its at least trying to be different. The issue there is you run out of techs to research too fast.

Also the obvious main issue with Vic1 and 2 is that the economy literally does not work and relies on making shit up from nothing (money and resources and also demand for products). Global market literally buys up everything you produce, its that broken.

POP mechanics are all weird too, obviously, and resource production never made any sense in any Pdox game. In HoI series you have thousands of res points produced doing nothing and at end game you run out of resources instead. So yea, no real differences anywhere.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL wiz had become a fat faggot,before he was just a skinny faggot. Also you could smell the sjwism from those two soygoyz :).

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
That video actually puts me off from the game. Why can't this be in text? What is gained from video? Takes longer to get through, have to listen to dumb opinions from uncharismatic dudes, doesn't show gameplay.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That video actually puts me off from the game. Why can't this be in text? What is gained from video? Takes longer to get through, have to listen to dumb opinions from uncharismatic dudes, doesn't show gameplay.

This has become the new norm in PR. Make videos about everything, even if you could just sum it up in text and save time for everyone involved, including the audience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom