Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Maj'Eyal

Reader

Scholar
Yeah, you're right ofc.
I mentioned exp penalty because he seems to care about the levels much. Two levels means couple of talent points, maybe they are crucial for his build^^
And i too think that Master lvl 37 is a difficulty consequence.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
He kicked my ass lol, I'm playing on casual so I just tried and died a few times. I think it was only my first or second death though. Got him in the end but mostly he would 1 shot me even when I'm on full health. I never would have beat him without dying unless I got to about level 30 ish I guess. Although the game is deep enough that I could fight him in 100 different ways. With the Necromancer I won most tricky fights by just hiding behind a wall and letting my pet army do all the work. But he could summon endless armies too so in the end I won by using a silence item which really screwed him.

Then after I leave the dungeon I got ambushed by the big orc dude which I think was about 15 levels higher than me but I won that fight ok. Melee enemies have no chance of reaching me.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Ahh I think I remember him killing me last time I played. I never knew what was supposed to happen then though, the game was kind of a mess. It seems way more balanced now and I've had no bugs. I love the creativity of the abilities, like the Necro spell which makes a big blue fuzzy magic area that does some damage to enemies. But if you use spells in that area it gets stronger and stronger and eventually blows up and blasts everything nearby. And I think it can be boosted to suck in nearby enemies at the last second. That's like all the actiony fun stuff from a Diablo type or MOBA but in a smart game. And every class has like 50 of these things to pick, and there's a zillion classes. Lotta game in there.

Rafidur

Learned
The game fluffs your balls for winning this 'ultra hard nightmare dante must die' orc fight, but I always find it considerably easier than the Master. The only threat is big orc dude, and if you have a way around him Rushing you then that's that.

Rieser

Scholar
The Master is just a cunt anyway. I remember my first runs at ToME, losing several times to that fucker before I beat him only to realize you have to beat him twice, the cunt. :lol:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think I missed a whole dungeon or more, I kinda got more engrossed in another game. But I'll play this again with a different class, necro is op.

thesecret1

Arcane
I remember the times when i thought i will never pass Daikara's Boulder Throwers without dying.
Daikara and that point in the game in general is one of the toughest in the game. If your build isn't up to snuff, you're going to die to some asshole's lucky crit or get spammed to death by boulders and the like. If you get past this stage of the game, it's pretty much smooth sailing, as you'll accumulate enough panic buttons to reliably get you out of such situations.

Reader

Scholar
While i agree that Daikara is a biggest noobkiller, i don't consider it difficult now. Old Forest with its poison and Worm That Walks is a bigger threat to me.
Also i can't agree that it's a breeze after T2 dungeons. Ganking in prides is a thing, especially with rares. Not to say about pride's bosses, i hate Vor so much. And Inner Demons/Temporal Clones are very dangerous.
But of course it largely depends on personal experience. And class. Mine was with Berserker mostly. But i kinda know how to Berserker now.
Finally last time i cleared the game a couple of weeks ago it was 1.7.2. DarkGod was supposed to nerf Inner Demons in 1.7.3 but it seems he nerfed everything somehow. There is even a topic on forum that the game is easy now^^

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
New patch is out, it features a new class (it's like the adventurer, but you get random skill trees each level up) and a new evolution for the Sun Paladin.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I think those evolutions are fan-made ones that DarkGod did a balance pass over? I have no idea why I think that though.

mister_matt

Educated
I just started an archer after getting my butt kicked as an arcane fighter. This is a lot of polish for a free game. I'm pretty impressed so far.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
man this game's cool as hell but I can't get past level 3 or 4 without getting 1-shot by some random bullshit
thats just the way it is. play more and learn the mechanics/proper gear/skills etcetera and then youll be able to get past level 3 or 4 consistently, then youll keep getting one shotted at around level 10. then youll get past that and then get one shotted at level 20. tome is pretty much all about learning how to not get one shotted

edit: also as far as advice, know when to run away and always invest in at least a few skills/gear that gives you escape options. and going along with that be careful what zones you are taking on, figuring out the right order in which to tackle the initial zones is a big part of making it past the early game

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's not my experience at all. Most of my deaths have come from overextending and overexposing myself. I get into a situation where the mobs lock me down and I can't do much to get out. There are some bullshit one-shot deaths rarely, true, but that's not what you are trying to combat in 90% of cases. Optional bosses tend to be able to one-shot.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
so i always play rogues. So far main obstacle was orc treasure door that says dont open. No self respecting rogue would walk past it.
All but one playthrough failed I believe

Rafidur

Learned
That's weird, you shouldn't be one shotted on normal (aside from some very specific places like the big room o' death in the armoury) (or unless you're meleeing people as a yeek possessor or something). Dangers should be status effects like stun, freeze, etc.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It depends on a lot of stuff like your class and the build. Some are risky and hard and some are easy and over powered. Also the game requires a lot more focus on defensive stuff in your build compared to most RPGs.

Shitposter
man this game's cool as hell but I can't get past level 3 or 4 without getting 1-shot by some random bullshit
thats just the way it is. play more and learn the mechanics/proper gear/skills etcetera and then youll be able to get past level 3 or 4 consistently, then youll keep getting one shotted at around level 10. then youll get past that and then get one shotted at level 20. tome is pretty much all about learning how to not get one shotted

edit: also as far as advice, know when to run away and always invest in at least a few skills/gear that gives you escape options. and going along with that be careful what zones you are taking on, figuring out the right order in which to tackle the initial zones is a big part of making it past the early game
It depends on a lot of stuff like your class and the build. Some are risky and hard and some are easy and over powered. Also the game requires a lot more focus on defensive stuff in your build compared to most RPGs.

yeah I was picking alchemist and it was just awkward to play because the golem runs all over in random places and kept aggroing high level stuff that shit on me
my current run I picked arcane blade and I'm just rolling over everything except some impossible tree boss that owned me but I got a free respawn so it's all good

MWaser

Arbiter
That's weird, you shouldn't be one shotted on normal (aside from some very specific places like the big room o' death in the armoury) (or unless you're meleeing people as a yeek possessor or something). Dangers should be status effects like stun, freeze, etc.
Stuff that tends to one-shot you in TOME, even on normal difficulty:
Archers (pure archer build classes and not hybrids using bows) - when you have low armor
Necromancers since the necromancer update - when you have low magic save and <50% cold resistance
All defiler-type enemies: Elven blood mages and Worm-That-Walks being the most common one-shotters if you don't have a high blight resistance (and preferrably also crit damage reduction or crit shrug off chance)
Lategame melee berserker type enemies, including non-rares - they usually have the attack which deals 150+450% weapon damage which is guaranteed death on most characters if you have low armor without absurd damage shield

As for bosses, from my experience the biggest early game offenders were the Minotaur variant (Horned Horror or whatever its name was that could proc a 3x lightning skill from attacking with his brawler skill 3 times in a row which is a one-shot on most characters), Trog (when low armor), Tempest guy due to massive lightning damage variance, Celia cuz same necromancer problem post-update

Lategame any boss has a potential to one or two-shot you (save for a few that really lack high-damage attacks) but I'd give a special mention to the Spectre of Telos whose cold damage nukes are on average like 3x stronger than average boss nuke damage.

However for new players I'd say the biggest threat overall are BULWARK type physical enemies (of the rare/unique monster variety because regularly generated bulwarks deal basically no damage), since it's extremely easy to get put into a "counter" state where you take double damage and then get hit for Overpower or whatever other strong physical attack the base monster type has for a quick one-shot on non-tanky characters.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
wojB6uP.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom