Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - the final chapter from Eidos Montreal

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Enjoyed all three games in the trilogy. The first one is still my favorite though, amazingly fun game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't care too much about the story, but apparently some organisation called Trinity is involved... whatever, that sounds like the most generic action movie plot ever, done a thousand times before.
The story is very much the same in Rise. I'd say these three games don't have a story between them, the only thing that changes is Lara's character developing.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Even if the story and writing ends up being complete bullshit, the tombs and puzzles are better, therefore it's a better Tomb Raider game than TR2013.

Unfortunately, no.

Barely finished Shadow. Jesus christ on a bike the writing was fucking insufferable even for a retarded akshun vidya. Not only are the dialogues "my face is tired" kindda incompetent, the plot is too retarded even for the dumbfuck standard of the series, the characters are dull cardboard cutouts, including Lara, and ofc it's the current year so SJW retardery inevitably crept in. So predictably all females are stronk wahmen leeduhrs and all males are either psychopats or docile betas.

Plus they downsized combat massively but left the rest of the game structure untouched. So it's all built as if the game is still just as heavy combat focused as Rise. Still tons of ways to get XP, gear and upgrade materials even though it's all completely useless.

Melcar

Arcane
Well got it on the last Steam sale as a bundle along with all the crap TR games. Game runs surprisingly well on my machine using Feral's Vulkan renderer (CPU at 90% holy shit). Compared to the first two in this last trilogy I like it the best. Still a chore to play it to the end. Much less combat than in the other games which is good, but the fuckers just couldn't help themselves (several combat set pieces with Rambo Lara here and there). The thing I like the most is the increase in crypts and secrets. None of them so far can touch the crypts/tombs in the original trilogy in complexity and the puzzles are mostly banal, but they scratch that itch and are far better than in the previous two games. I really hate that they stuck with that fat side kick character.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Talking bitter pessimistic once-goldies-everything-else-is-shit is no style. It's a bikkering, mediocre, boring mirroring of others, rly. Wake up. Find the good stuff in the old and in the new. Refresh yourself. World is moving on constantly.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Not like it matters, but I finally got around to completing this on my first playthrough much the same way (hard difficulty, no skills purchased, no weapons upgraded, no healing items used, no potions made or whatever plants do in this game, and minimal crafting of special arrows except when the game forces you) as I went through Rise of the Tomb Raider last year. I didn't go the absolute highest difficulty because the only thing that really does is prohibit saving outside of campfires, and I'm not doing that shit when the mechanics are so loose and Lara forgets to grab onto ledges sometimes. I did buy the shotgun choke to see if it made the weapon less garbage (it doesn't), and I bought new weapons but enemies are spongy enough on hard that nothing seemed to really take them down short of racking up headshots.

Not sure where to put this in the trilogy. I have a hate-on for the series after I bought 2013 for full price on people's suggestion and realized none of the gameplay systems really matter. These games are the equivalent of those paintings medieval artists made of animals they had never seen before, because they kind of look and play like a videogame but nothing is interesting or impactful or makes sense. This one mostly continues that trend, with some parts made slightly more engaging but others left goofy or mangled. Ultimately, most of the comments and complaints I could make have been shared already, so I'll just say that if I can beat your 15 hour game on hard in 15 hours without engaging with 90% of the systems, then maybe you've fucked up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom