Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Taking Care of Business - Iron Tower Studio 2021 Business Diary

Thonius

Arcane
Oh yeah, dialog window NWN style is uh... not my style. And if you got a big 4k monitor... rip. That's the only valid refund IMO.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is one big problem with Colony Ship for me personally,
I couldn't care less for other games that do whatever they think a RPG is.

Godspeed gentlemen, I like what I see.:obviously:

edit:
Got a friend who never played a Black Isel/Troika game hooked with Fallout 1&2.
He just finished Planescape Torment. Now that he's seen the light it's time for
the next step, Underrail and Age of Decadence. And finally then, Colony Ship.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vault Dweller
Does Steam show you a number of refunded copies?
If yes, how CS compares on that front with AoD?
About the same. Last 10 refund reasons:

- The writing is poor. 20 words are used where 5 will fit better. This makes every interaction with an NPC feels like I needed to take notes to make informed decisions. Instead it's slog of boring text after slog boring of text.
- this game came out early access but it literally has 00.1% content
- The text is way to small and hurts my eyes to read
- think a book will replace the game just fine.. There is no voice acts its all text to read ... It will give me a headic in a few hours of this.
- The overall visuals of the game gives me a headache and it's difficult to figure out the different places you can walk. On top of it the fact that there's no voice overs further adds to the headache as you're having to read a novel. Mechanically and story wise, seems interesting but just can push through the visuals and need to read everything
- Thought it would be more like Shadowrun. gameplay was slow and difficult
- I understand its early access but not even having partially voiced dialog makes the game world feel empty.
- point blank and i miss with a sub machine gun? Come on this is just stupid mechanics. This game is not fun at all to me, too archaic for this genre.
- Game too hard. Unable to progress through the game
- The game is an early access, but i died way too many times for the tutorial section, or beginning, for me to have any type of fun. Needs lots of work and balance fixes
#VDPostingGamerLs

Seriously, though, beyond the comedy gold there are a few valid criticisms there.
Or at least understandable reasons as to why one wouldn't like/refund the game.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Text size and being able to see what's what sound like valid points.

Vince, you are a god damn hero. Stick to your guns, don't bend the knee to pointless voice acting.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Don't knock good VO, please. Good VO is absolutely able to take a good game into greatness.

Bad VO can do the reverse as well, of course.

Fallout 1+2 would not be as great to me, had it had no VO work at all. That's just a fact.

deuxhero

Arcane
Would it be possible to have a publisher that translates the game in exchange for a cut of sales from countries where that's the majority language?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
- point blank and i miss with a sub machine gun? Come on this is just stupid mechanics. This game is not fun at all to me, too archaic for this genre.

Someone never played Fallout :lol:
In fallout your companions didn't miss altogether, they usually hit you, or your other companions, with their trusty submachine gun.

I wonder if Ultima 5 influenced that idea. Damnit MOVE!!! (Watches as npc is chunkified by shotgun.). :/

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Vince: God isn't real that's silly this is a *serious* game OK.

Also Vince:

5pV9YsJ.png

So here's this giant enemy frog...

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Vince, you are a god damn hero. Stick to your guns, don't bend the knee to pointless voice acting.
This is very true, but one or two lines voiced for important characters would be a nice boon for atmosphere. Think PS:T.

And yeah, it can be a bit hard to tell where you can and can't walk sometimes, or what thing are intractable and what aren't.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I'm all for adding voice overs, even a few lines to define characters, but it's a major project that requires a publisher.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I'm all for adding voice overs, even a few lines to define characters, but it's a major project that requires a publisher.

Forgive my complete lack of understanding of how the VO business side and publisher side of things work, but is it really such a big deal to find some reasonably talented people without spending shitloads of money?

I mean quality VO doesn't just come easy, but how expensive and time consuming would it be to find a few non AAA good VO actors to do a few lines for a few bucks but alot of prestige and rep?

Nobody would be expecting AAA VO anyway, just something half-decent would do imo.

Is the implementation of said voice work also time consuming as fuck to implement?`

I'm genuinely curious of how it works in games and how it gets "made"

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
is it really such a big deal to find some reasonably talented people without spending shitloads of money?

I mean quality VO doesn't just come easy, but how expensive and time consuming would it be to find a few non AAA good VO actors to do a few lines for a few bucks but alot of prestige and rep?
MRY could answer that one for you

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
is it really such a big deal to find some reasonably talented people without spending shitloads of money?

MRY could answer that one for you

I guess. I am really curious to know more about the VO business. Not alot of attention it gets imo.

Like I said, my feeble gullible mind would think it works something like the real acting business, where undiscovered or relative talented nobodies will work for free, or close to, just by the chance to get some actual work done on their CV.
I guess finding diamonds in the rough that will also work for free is a hard.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I think as with everything else, it's hard to find the right people. I believe for Strangeland, it was $200 per two-hour session. For FG, it's a more haphazard approach as we have only one voice actor and I don't direct him, so I'm not sure how much time he spends "in the booth" relative to output.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Forgive my complete lack of understanding of how the VO business side and publisher side of things work, but is it really such a big deal to find some reasonably talented people without spending shitloads of money?

Nobody would be expecting AAA VO anyway, just something half-decent would do imo.

Is the implementation of said voice work also time consuming as fuck to implement?`

I'm genuinely curious of how it works in games and how it gets "made"
We tried it twice for AoD, both times the issue was that the characters didn't sound right. The second attempt was more successful, we got 2 out of 5 (Gaelius and Meru sounded right, Antidas, Lorenza, and the Zamedi demon were way off despite multiple re-takes), which wasn't close enough to move forward. The attempts wasted a lot of time: discussions, re-takes, searching for better references, etc. What we learned is that we should hire an experienced studio with a good pool of voice actors (or sign up with a publisher) or be prepared to spend a LOT of time ourselves.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yes -- the designer/developer bandwidth issue is a real one.

You could probably outsource the whole process (I know WEG does that occasionally for adventure games), but that itself depends on finding someone who is going to take the source material seriously. When I worked for TimeGate, I believe their first fully voiced game was Kohan II, which I wrote the script for (subject to some fairly hilarious high level requirements along the way), and I remember they hired what they thought was a really good and fairly expensive studio that worked primarily in anime dubbing, and the results were somewhat predictable.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Thanks for the insight, guys :) Sad, but understandable. Heres to wishing though

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom