Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Unknown Realm: The Siege Perilous - an 8-bit RPG for PC and Commodore 64

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I just looked at the rewards page. Eh... terrible. When I see $750, $2000, $5000, and $9000 rewards I think... WTF!?!

Eli_Havelock

Learned
I wonder if they're going to bother celebrating next Friday - the 1 year anniversary of the last time they made a quickly-deleted show of pretending to give an update - with another pretend update show.
They could hold a raffle for some of the only things they can talk about and show to exist, like their JollyDisk or other merch, or a copy of their upcoming New York Times best-selling book 101 Sob Stories To Fake Gamedev (And You Don't Have to Show Any Progress!)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It is terrible. Tease about a game that looks promising then just give up, take the money, and cry "LIFE IS HARD!" If they pitch a new project.... only a fool n' tool would help fund that.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Points for honesty, but redefining what counts as an update still doesn't provide any actual information about the state of the game.

Hello all, we’re still working on the game.* We’ve been trying to do our “updates” here in the comments section for awhile now. They might not have all the info that some of you want, but let’s face it, neither did our official updates.

When it comes to our game, we’ve learned that our official Kickstarter updates are treated like press releases, so at this point, we choose to reserve those for big news and we’re sticking to shorter comment-updates that are directed specifically to our community of backers.

If you see us communicating here in the comments section, you should consider that an update from us. It’s information coming straight from the creators, it’s faster for us and let’s us get direct feedback from the most engaged backers in our community.

Basically, they're trying some nonsense to avoid the fact that it's still been a year since they last pretended to do an update of any meaningful content, and failed, but now have argued the bar lowered even further for when they try to lump themselves over it. Someday. When they have something other than delays and excuses. Any year now.

* - [citation needed]

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Why are they avoiding working on this? Is this likd the stupid Dresmscape MMO pyramid scheme? Just fuck the physical shit for now and get a working digital version working.

negator2vc

Scholar
Why are they avoiding working on this? Is this likd the stupid Dresmscape MMO pyramid scheme? Just fuck the physical shit for now and get a working digital version working.

I am not sure they ever worked on the game! After all did they ever release some gameplay footage or a demo?

Eli_Havelock

Learned
I just looked at the rewards page. Eh... terrible. When I see $750, $2000, $5000, and $9000 rewards I think... WTF!?!

I am not sure they ever worked on the game! After all did they ever release some gameplay footage or a demo?

That such an impression is made so casually rather makes them right in a position to be investigated on several levels, from multiple state attorney general's offices to the FBI, for wire fraud and other associated laws. I'm pretty sure if SDG are as shit at filing their taxes like they did to their business registration and all else, including the comparatively simple matter of a real game development update just once in their entire act, that might also include the IRS.

All sorts of possibilities. I don't know why SDG don't do the easy part; it's like they want any attention because it is still attention, and not sh4owing any of their work like any non-retarded non-pants-shitting-for-attention developer (unless its unrelated merch like the JollyDisk) seems to be part of that.

Posting updates is cake compared to gamedev itself, and so by failing updates like this for so long the frauds always out themselves. Even Cleveland Mark Blakemore had more to show that Grimoire existed. SDG are scrabbling to have anything they can try to summarily bail from after they shovel it out. Why do I think that? If their behavior around the Kickstarter and their silly guild show was of any indication, they're the sort to go right onto the next scam with a new company name while hiding their faces.

Also see: Scamception
(It is a shame to see 6502 Workshop there in the comments, because they are the real deal compared to this game and Corven.)

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Awww, well, bless their hearts.

THEY'RE FINALLY DOING SOMETHING! (Related to the game they Kickstarted.)

"still early concepts and need to be fleshed out more" True enough, everyone has to start developing their game somewhere, even if it is years late.

tvWlZec.png

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I mean we got Realms of Antiquity and Nox Archanist, not all retro RPGs can pan out

Eli_Havelock

Learned
I mean we got Realms of Antiquity and Nox Archanist, not all retro RPGs can pan out

Of course not. Not everyone can be Cleveland Mark Blakemore yet people doubted Grimoire existing despite there being some assets and screens shown over the years. Some, like Corven, will always be doomed to failure for obvious reasons known for well over a decade. Then you have those who, several years later, figure out how to make an update despite making it sound like they were already well on their way.

I mean, if Lord British could make each of those early Ultima games by himself in under a year...

Eli_Havelock

Learned
I mean, if Lord British could make each of those early Ultima games by himself in under a year...

He could then, now I'm surprised he manages to wipe his ass without help

He actually couldn't then, despite what he tells the press and what later devs who still live in the myth will say, without a bunch of help from Keith Zabalaoui, Denis Loubet, his parents, his classmates, and lifting others' IP wholesale. Without all those people, he would have been simply stuck making forgettable unlicensed D&D grids on Teletype in ways that made 1977's PLATO Avatar (an actual game that eclipses much of his supposed fame) look complex by comparison (well, it WAS). But since RG was a nutty novelty used to sell games like Infocom's feelies, he stuck in popular imagination while the others he ripped off went relatively unknown. Those who have worked for him at any of his three companies he's sold out and bailed from/was invited to leave know that burn the best, and that's why not even those who used to do porting work for Ultima were desperate enough to stick around. It's even funnier how some people think he still has anything to do with Shroud of the Avatar, or ever really did, except make office messes and dance for crowdfunding cultists.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I know, that's why I get angry at some of those Ultima simps who still act toward him as if he were a god or something

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Here's the latest "dev posts".

They're back pretending they are working hard at anything else but bad PR and failing actual updates. ( They are definitely shaping up to be the video game version of this asshole making oil from shit and cold fusion. )
Hey everyone, just popping in to say hello. We're doing everything in our power to bring you the best game we possibly can with the resources we have available. Like Vladimir said below, there are plenty of "not that great" KS games out there that most likely ended up there because money got tight, the devs got discouraged and gave in to threats and pressure to just finish something, at the cost of the original vision. That's not us and that's not the type of game we want to deliver to you, nor is it the game that will make you really happy.
So basically the same nothing you've come to know and love from the Stirring Dragon Games brand for any Kickstarter update except sob story and excuses Peter Molyneux would have thrown out?

We totally told people who believed us enough to spend even more to get no update! (Points, I guess, for being on-brand.)
This kind of speculation is totally unnecessary because we told our backers very honestly exactly what was going on our Q&A video last year. We can't do anything for people who refuse to read our updates, watch our videos, read our comments/Twitter/etc, and then make up their own fictional narratives about who we are, what we're doing or why we're doing it.
Totes honestly that we can't show anyone else. You're evil if you doubt it.

MUH NOSTALGIA!
@arnuph1s Thanks but, making the best modern RPG on the C64 was never my goal.

My goal was to just make games like the ones I grew up with so my kids could have similar experiences along with the boxes, feelies, and all. Something a bit different than what other game companies were offering these days. That's where it all started for me and that's what keeps me going still.

I'm glad you appreciate our updates here in the comment section. We will continue to pop in now and then as long as people are respectful, otherwise we'll have to stick with to silence until we have big announcements. And PS - C64 backers get the PC version of the game as well. :)
Remember all those brands in the 80s who took your money and then stalled for years without delivering anything to show for it, even showing anything in media? That was apparently Bruce's childhood. Poor Bruce.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
Re-reading the thread:

TBH, it not only looks good, it looks almost too good to be true. The C64 version thing is a gimmick and a huge red flag. The appeal to nostalgia is at its most shameless since the Grimoire pitch. And yet I want to believe. So conflicted. :negative:

I doubt they're scammers. Stirring Dragon has a history in the community(tm), eg: http://ultimacodex.com/2015/12/spam-spam-spam-humbug-episode-29-turn-based-vs-real-time-combat/
I guess having a history in the community means nothing.

Old Hans

Arcane

they seemed more concerned/interested with getting the superficial aesthetic of a mid 80's rpg advertisement., then actually making a game

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I did win a Christmas drawing last year. So... that was cool.

Anyway... there are other options available:

Realms of Antiquity (TI-99 4/A)
Knights of the Chalice 1-2
Nox Archaist
file.php

And damn me I know I'm forgetting some others that are either demos or released.

Maybe someone will remind me of the list.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Re-reading the thread:

TBH, it not only looks good, it looks almost too good to be true. The C64 version thing is a gimmick and a huge red flag. The appeal to nostalgia is at its most shameless since the Grimoire pitch. And yet I want to believe. So conflicted. :negative:

I doubt they're scammers. Stirring Dragon has a history in the community(tm), eg: http://ultimacodex.com/2015/12/spam-spam-spam-humbug-episode-29-turn-based-vs-real-time-combat/
I guess having a history in the community means nothing.

Even Corven has a history of YEARS behind a failed Ultima IX project and they're still able to offer something for a KS update more than once every couple of years.

they seemed more concerned/interested with getting the superficial aesthetic of a mid 80's rpg advertisement., then actually making a game

SOOOOO 1996, DUDE!*

* - Actually mostly post-2000.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom