Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

Gargaune

Magister
Is it just me or does the building look like it was just placed on top of those stone tiles instead of the tiles being build around it?
I'm more concerned about the lighting and colour scheme. Every time I look at this game, it gives me the impression that's there's a sickly pallor to it, like the colour palette caught the flu or something. It's particularly apparent in urban screenshots, and it's rubbing me the wrong way. Here's an example, left side original, right side Gargaune'd, just a couple of quick edits to illustrate what I'm on about:

blackgeyser-recolour.jpg

Sykar

Arcane
Is it just me or does the building look like it was just placed on top of those stone tiles instead of the tiles being build around it?
I'm more concerned about the lighting and colour scheme. Every time I look at this game, it gives me the impression that's there's a sickly pallor to it, like the colour palette caught the flu or something. It's particularly apparent in urban screenshots, and it's rubbing me the wrong way. Here's an example, left side original, right side Gargaune'd, just a couple of quick edits to illustrate what I'm on about:

blackgeyser-recolour.jpg

I am sorry but I do not see that.

Cvilidreta

Novice
Beamdogs devs (modders) did a good job in the EEs of IWD / BG with vetically aligned portraits and icons and the action bar is under the log. This is much better since there's a seamless transition between UIs and the player does not use portraits during combat but only when he switches chars inventories. In combat or dialogue he uses selection circles and/or hotkeys. Grape ocean should copy that and not obsidian's or owlcat's UIs. I'm glad they're going with no Attacks of opportunity. Hopefully they're copying the mechanics of the IE games and have played the best rtwp there is, Shadows of Amn. The pillars and pathfinder games shouldn't be copied when making an rtwp despite them also being unity games.
5-PC-English.png

8-PC-English.png

agris

Arcane
Patron
their IWDEE UI was arguably the least fucked, aesthetically. But the convention of using vertical bars plays to the advantage of widescreen monitors, having too much crap running horizontally on a 16:9 screen is taking real estate away from the smaller dimension, i.e. makes no sense. It's what Josh loved about the IWD2 UI btw.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
Yeah, I think the main problem for looking out of place is that it isn't aligned with those stone tiles. It looks like the tiles where put first and then someone dropped a house on top.

If anything it would look more uncanny if the building was aligned, gridlike, with the cobblestone. Autists might find alignment more satisfying but that doesn't make it more "realistic" in terms of traditional construction. If you look at traditional solid masonry buildings with cobblestone surroundings, say in Europe, it sits quite similar to this, the big difference IMO being that the cobblestone is usually irregular.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
This text is an easy-to-read text. (I got it from the Steam Trailer of Black Geyser)

unknown.png

This is the text layout in Pillars of Eternity. This is really tiring to read.
unknown.png

Devs' commentary taken from discord:
Yeah no lore dumps in black geyser

There is a Compendium section for that in the depth of the UI instead.
about Events, People, Places

those contain fairly compact texts too, though.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
This is the text layout in Pillars of Eternity. This is really tiring to read.
unknown.png

Having not played POE1, the writing above isn't that bad if it's just an excerpt from a novel. Unfortunately, in vidya form, I can imagine how tiresome it must be to have to go through so much exposition at every interval. Most modern Amerikwan authors suck at writing too.

Krivol

Magister
The game visually portrays alcohol and drug use (in form of magical potions)

potion of cure light wounds is my poison of choice

Potion addiction is something I would like to see in RPG more - if people are so easy to get addicted to - say - painkillers or stimulating coffee, imagine how easy it may be to get addicted to potion of strenght or healing.

"Healer, please, just 1 little cure light wounds! PLEEEAAASEE!"
"But you are perfectly fine!"
"I AM NOT, YOU FILTHY BIGOT!"

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Potion addiction is something I would like to see in RPG more - if people are so easy to get addicted to - say - painkillers or stimulating coffee, imagine how easy it may be to get addicted to potion of strenght or healing.

And when you cast raise dead on them, they never come back quite right...

Kliwer

Savant
This can be a really good game. Maybe the best cRPG of this type since BG2.

I really like the trailer. I haven't felt this excited since I saw the IWD trailer on the PS:T CD.

Of course maybe it's just another deceptive hope.

It's good that the game runs on windows 7. However, for my antique laptop it may still be too much. Well, maybe I'm facing my first computer replacement since Skyrim (yeah ... then I replaced the computer for Skyrim ... it wasn't worth it).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom