Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG settings

What kind of settings would you like to see more of?

• Total voters

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Which historical (or not) epochs would you like to see more often as the basis for RPGs? We all know late medieval period is drastically overrepresented and I've never seen anyone complain about lack of games set therein. But what about other possible settings?

This is not a question of strict adherence to a certain periods, but rather of employing esthetics and exploring themes relevant to those times.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Prehistoric sounds really interesting. Is there anything like that for RPGs? Really liked playing in a prehistoric setting in Empire Earth.

Tigranes

Arcane
Every historical setting needs more games that are actually done well. We could add tons more to that poll. Three Kingdoms era China, Aztecs/Incas just before/during colonisers arrive, Gran Colombia 1819-1831, anything with god damn Phoenicians.

The well-worn settings could also benefit from doing stuff with it that isn't done to death. Not every Crusades game has to do god damn Richard and Saladin - the massive clusterfuck of the sack of Constantinople or the Children's Crusade can tell much more interesting stories. You could set something in post-Manzikert Asia Minor, where, to take some literary license, you have people who retain a kind of zombie loyalty to the Empire that is never coming back, yet still exists as a jewel across the narrow strait, while the Turkish masters are here today, and distant rumours of a new Crusade to truly set things right (before they go ahead and actually sack the Empire instead), and so on.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Anything with muzzle-loading guns is fine. From blunderbusses to Navy Colts I want to see more muzzleloaders in games and turn-based RPGs are where they would work best.

Bronze Age to Early Iron Age anywhere in Mesopotamia or the Levant, perhaps Egypt. Or on the British Isles any time that's pre-Roman occupation, not a whole hell of a lot changes there between Bronze and Iron Age.
The Dark Ages to Early Medieval - The First Crusade following Fulcher of Chartres, as himself or just another random unnamed soldier under Godfrey of Boulogne or Bohemond of Taranto.
17th Century - New World. English Civil War spillover in the Colonies. Protestant vs Catholic. Solomon Kane-ish focus on Witchcraft and frontier conflicts with the Indians. Sprinkle some horror elements in there. make the primordial forests of America wild af.

I second what Tigranes is getting at. Even the Late-Medieval has few legitimate games that use that historic setting realistically. High-fantasy ripping off certain aesthetics doesn't make them anything alike. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is probably the only one in fact.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I would love to see an RPG set in faux Europe during the period leading up to the French revolution. With war, intrigue and conspiracy.

Ladonna

Arcane
Saxon age Britain with Viking invasions would be cool. They tried doing this in the Mount and Blade engine, and I found it fun, but it needed a better engine.

Tolkien world RPG's. Unbelievably underused setting considering the wealth of backstory and history written for it. Unfortunately, the chance of getting anything decent now it has been a mega successful movie franchise is next to nil.

Wild West RPG. Again, criminally under used. There used to be a scenario game based on the Wizards Crown engine called six gun shootout that was pretty fun and had tonnes of options, but it was only for a set of combats, and not an RPG.

iu

WW2 RPG. Silent Storm showed what could be done barebones. Using a similar combat engine, and a fleshed out world, setting and role playing system, it could be awesome. Same could be said for an RPG that is set in many different modern time periods using a similar engine.

Space Sci fi. How many decent CRPG's use this setting? Not many. The only game I can think of that teamed up actual real time space flight/combat along with traditional RPG world exploration was Space Rogue back in the 80s and nothing similar has been attempted since.

iu
iu

Space Rogue: Flying and fighting in 3D Space and Traditional top down RPG exploration on Worlds/Bases.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I would love to see a Kingdome Come style game set in Colonial America. For ahistorical settings a Renaissance or early Enlightenment type of setting would be neat, could be like Arcanum where Renaissance and typical fantasy aspects clash.

Eastwood

Educated
Generally, I love all kinds of historical RPGs, as long as it's based on actual history and not some fantasy derivative.
Especially, I'd like to see more of RPGs set in 16th century Meso-America, as I find that period fascinating.
I only know of Expeditions:Conquistador, which is good, but I'd like to experience the story from the Aztec side. Something like Apocalypto: The RPG.

Gargaune

Magister
I tried to only vote for the incorrect choices, but I couldn't resist also clicking on Early Antiquity.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
i voted "Contemporary Period (seriously?)"
just to make Rabbity_Thing even more butthurt about this great setting

I don't see why it is such a bad option to be honest. Conspiracy theories coming to life, UFO crap, Virus shenanigans. Maybe another Deus Ex style game.
There's some mystery lost in exploring a setting too familiar to us, I guess. But don't see why it can't be done either.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Only three choices?! Fuck you!!

I picked:

Prehistoric. I really, really wanna see a stone age RPG. You can easily add fantasy elements in the form of having humans coexist with dinosaurs for maximum fun. Kinda like those old 60s action-adventure movies where scantily clad women and burly cavemen fight against awkwardly animated dinosaur puppets. It's such an underrated setting. In Civilization, my favorite part is the early game where you're discovering fire and the wheel and explore a hostile wilderness - early game of the Caveman2Cosmos mod is peak Civ. I also love that prehistoric city builder game Dawn of Man. The setting is not only good for strategy games, but also has potential for RPGs.
1mill5.gif

Early Antiquity. I'm a huge fanboy of ancient Mesopotamia and it's a crime that there are so few games focused on that area and era. It's the perfect setting for an RPG, most of what we know about ancient Mesopotamia is very mythical, their own understanding of history and the world was highly mythical, introducing fantasy elements would only make it MORE authentic instead of less. The gods can appear as actual characters who talk to humans through their statues and in dreams, there's a magic ritual for practically everything, there are tons of different monstrous creatures that can roam the wilderness... and also, high level characters can choke lions with their bare hands!
96.jpg

For the third I picked Renaissance, but I also put the Age of Absolutism in there. Both are fine. I'd really love to see something in the 16th-17th century. 18th would be fine too. The sheer amount of weapons available during that era would be awesome for a tactical RPG. In the 16th and 17th centuries they were so fucking experimental with weaponry, especially those wacky Italians. Everything was combined with guns, because guns are cool. Gun-swords, gun-axes, gun-maces, gun-polearms, gun-bucklers. There was even a multi-functional buckler that contained a gun AND a lamp for fighting at night. Crossbows were still in use too, and in some areas they used bows as well. Armor was at its peak too, with anything from classic chainmail to full plate suits to bulletproof chestplates available for the player.
Just look at this shit:
295e9019c4efd02a6ecc3c2c4d99d46e.jpg

706be60672b56550b5c1b4f12a8501f4.jpg

1ec82072ab85f0401dec372709976fff.jpg

df8975e7082f96116589e0c5a1cca70f.jpg

72f4b24885a573ca3336d368c765f824.jpg

9863128fcb9d06e0589038d7335ceefb.jpg

5b1a3446721f74efdb630fe88a3e00ac.jpg

2e244bc64c3429002206338e78875b58.jpg

8e30c6f25b33923505ee12874806569b.jpg

Now, while those were my three picks for the poll, I'd also love to see more games in other settings:

WW2 is such a popular setting for strategy and action games, I can't believe it hasn't been used for RPGs yet (except for two very sub-par Polish games nobody played). Especially when combined with fantasy. Something like the Return to Castle Wolfenstein setting would be PERFECT for an RPG. You got nazi occultist wizards, crazy scientists creating experimental superweapons, and a large selection of regular WW2 weaponry. I would, of course, prefer to play a game where you control a party of nazi occultists, but I wager the mainstream would prefer playing as the Allies opposing them :M
Both could work out very well. There already are some WW2 games whose scenarios would make for a great RPG, btw: the Commandos series comes to mind. You have a party of characters with distinct abilities and are on assignment behind enemy lines to perform sabotage and espionage missions. Peak RPG scenario right there. I can even imagine a C&C heavy WW2 RPG where you get to pick sides, or play both sides for a risky double-crossing game. Like an RPG set in Northern France in the 40s where you can either work for the Resistance or collaborate with the Germans and spy on Resistance members.

Modern day urban fantasy is underrated. All we got was VtM: Bloodlines, and since then, pretty much nothing. Late 90s to early 00s would be a better time for it than the 2010s though, before the advent of smartphones, because implementing those things in a game would be a major hassle. You can mix in some common urban legends, different schools of occult magic that are kept secret by their practitioners, and poser goth girls who pretend to be witches but aren't. You can also add in some crime fiction elements of course, because organized crime in a big modern city is always fun.
Basically just turn D20 Modern into a CRPG and you're good.

vota DC

Augur
All. You start as a feral cat but you are captured and they esperiment on you in a Lab in the middle.of and african jungle. Then a riot happens and Lab Is crushed. But you evolve.
You start fighting gorillas (prehistoric) then pygmies tribes that are bronze Age. Then you take over the area defeating regional warlord that Is just late Iron Age. You piss off the colonial puppet regime that has just late 1700 technology and you fight the european owner of this Land that had deployed ww1 technology there.
Then you invade Europe and defeat Hitler to teach him that cat are master race.
Then there Is a time skip and America try to counter cats with other animals. You have to fight president Donald and his bodyguard Duck Norris and of course your nemesis Mickey Mouse.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All. You start as a feral cat but you are captured and they esperiment on you in a Lab in the middle.of and african jungle. Then a riot happens and Lab Is crushed. But you evolve.
You start fighting gorillas (prehistoric) then pygmies tribes that are bronze Age. Then you take over the area defeating regional warlord that Is just late Iron Age. You piss off the colonial puppet regime that has just late 1700 technology and you fight the european owner of this Land that had deployed ww1 technology there.
Then you invade Europe and defeat Hitler to teach him that cat are master race.
Then there Is a time skip and America try to counter cats with other animals. You have to fight president Donald and his bodyguard Duck Norris and of course your nemesis Mickey Mouse.

I can imagine this as one of those one-man indie games with psychedelic visuals.
ss_63d08e24d7b5f5fd32a0907c9f5fc797a87cf174.1920x1080.jpg

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Curse you for limiting the answers to three Rabbity_Thing !
I want everything up to, and including, the late medieval. Fuck guns, armor is cooler than uniforms.

What I want the most is the Late Bronze Age collapse. We still don't know for certain what happened there, and why the Bronce Age empires fell as hard as they did, so it makes perfect yarn to spin tales off. The ominous https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Peoples act almost like a zombie plague, an unexplained threat sweeping across empires and bringing them to their knees. In some areas they are thought of as fable, in others they are a threat to be reconned with.
I would set the game in Egypt, because they actually beat the Sea Peoples, so it is the closest we have to a proven confrontation.
The equipment variation with the peak of bronceworking and the advent of ironworking would be amazing.

My second pick would be 999 AD. Viking rpgs are dime a dozen, but I would love for one to examine a possible apocalpystic fear, of the world ending in 1000 AD.
An exerpt from the Manga Vinland SaGa of the mood I would like to see.
(read right to left)
LQvZjZc.jpg

d1QhDbo.jpg

EgUkync.jpg

7nTLz44.jpg

LAe8pVq.jpg

KgKO2Y8.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom