Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conquest of Elysium 5

Dayyālu

Arcane
Playing CoE in MP sounds like a recipe for pain, but I guess there's some people up for it. Considering that some RNG events are pretty much "you lose if you don't beeline and work to deal with it" I can't fathom were the fun could be. Smaller maps? Disabled events?

The AI is bad, but most of CoE comes from the pseudo-roguelike strategy theme. I guess there's several ways to skin CoE, tho, but I would not think CoE as a primarily MP game as Dominions is for certain.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Well obviously a human opponent will always be more challenging than the AI. But since in CoE much of the struggle is against the environment and the space of decisions is far smaller than Dominions playing single player is perfectly enjoyable and can be quite the challenge depending on difficulty, match up and luck of the draw. In contrast the Dominions AI is far too retarded to play the game properly so Dominions single player is mostly an exercise in playing Solitaire and wack-a-mole.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In contrast the Dominions AI is far too retarded to play the game properly so Dominions single player is mostly an exercise in playing Solitaire and wack-a-mole.
Honestly all it would need is basic diplomacy. Let the AI be dumb af, because so am I :lol:
I don't have the time or patience for Dominions MP games anymore, but I'd love to play it more in SP - but without diplomacy that'll never happen.

CoE is small enough in scale that it's perfectly fine without diplomacy options, really. You'll notice soon enough who wants to kill you.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
The Dominions AI needs a lot more than that. It doesn't understand formations and army compositions and it doesn't script it's mages. It just recruits and summons random stacks full of crap and throws them at you. It's been known to thug but I've never seen it. In a game that's all about cleverly using a huge catalogue of tools and playing to the strengths of your nation the AI is the equivalent of playing chess against a poo flinging monkey. It can be mildly entertaining but not very satisfying and you end up covered in shit.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The Dominions AI needs a lot more than that. It doesn't understand formations and army compositions and it doesn't script it's mages. It just recruits and summons random stacks full of crap and throws them at you. It's been known to thug but I've never seen it. In a game that's all about cleverly using a huge catalogue of tools and playing to the strengths of your nation the AI is the equivalent of playing chess against a poo flinging monkey. It can be mildly entertaining but not very satisfying and you end up covered in shit.

Yes and CoE AI is known for dying to deer and other fauna/flora. In CoE3 it wasnt unusual to win against weaker classes just by staying alive for a few turns.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Yeah, so? You're playing 1v1s or something? In a normal game you'll have plenty of opposition left even if one or two drop early. Also there are mods that add static guards to capitals.

Dayyālu

Arcane
To be honest, in CoE3 the deer menace was bothersome enough to warrant specific planning. It was worse than the vast majority of enemy nations.

Good times, good times.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Deer are ruthless killers that claimed the lives of many a KKKodex kolonist.

maxresdefault.jpg

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually the greatest problem is who would patch it for people who didn't remove it from inventory? CoE4 was once per half year patched by some person. But that person is under surveillance after he went to "DENUVO IS HORRIBLE CRAP AND NEEDS TO BE REMOVED FROM THE WORLD" crusade. Too bad he didn't spend effort to be anonymous, otherwise he'd be a lot more successful, and that Austrian company might go out of business.

So, now we might see one of developers appearing under pseudonym on a forum, release old version as a cracked, then make a lame excuse about not wanting to piss original developers by releasing the most recent version. (This game is so irrelevant, nobody gives a damn about cracking. Aside of ideologic crusader who did it from kind heard for nice people on a forum.)

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
While playing COE4 do you ever feel an intense desire to play HOMM instead?

Last edited:

Aemar

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1606340/discussions/0/4498514133991214963/

News from the Beta

Heya! I'm part of the beta testing team and we've recently been given permission to start talking about a few things in public. Now, there's a lot of new content in the game itself that we're not supposed to talk too much about, but I figured I might take this opportunity to - somewhat informally - discuss some of the more technical changes to the game, and give a brief overview of the three new classes currently in the beta test.

Workshop Support
Kristoffer mentioned this in the modding wishlist thread already, but I thought I'd take a moment to mention this somewhere more visible. You will be able to upload and download mods from the Steam Workshop. I don't think this works with maps at the moment, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Public Multiplayer Lobby
There will no longer be any need for port forwarding or to rely on third-party tools like Hamachi or Discord bots to host your games. Illwinter now has a server of their own. When you hop into the Lobby from the "Network" menu, you'll be greeted with a list of active games (which may or may not be password protected) and given the option of starting your own.

Map Modding with Planes
When designing maps, you can edit other planes, not just Elysium itself. And you can, of course, place portals and create connections between them.

---

I won't spoil y'all too much on the new classes, but y'all probably won't get too hurt if I give you a brief overview of what they are, right?

Kobold King
The Kobold King is, in principle, the reincarnation of the Draconian from Conquest of Elysium 2, though with a lot of changes. The Kobold King has access to frail but incredibly numerous kobolds of five different subtypes, four of which can be made to spawn from greater mines (i.e. not coal mines) for a one-time cost in gold and iron. The Kobold King uses elemental gems for various rituals, including summoning dragons to protect your mines. As the game progresses, the Kobold King's armies will progress from swarms of fragile and weak troops, to huge swarms of fragile but hard-hitting troops and mages.

Scourge Lord
The Scourge Lord makes use of a new resource called "Life Force", which is generated through constructing Pillars of Power in various locations on Elysium. The power these Pillars generate is determined by how rich in life the area around it is - and as time passes, the Pillar will destroy that life. Partly inspired by the Dark Sun setting of D&D fame, a successful Scourge Lord will slowly turn the entire world into a barren desert in his pursuit of power. The main use of Life Force is summoning a variety of monsters themed around decay, though there's a few other uses for it. Even in combat, the Scourge Lord's defilement magic requires life force to be used - in the absence of nearby plant life, allied soldiers provide an equally ample supply of it.

Cloud Lord
The Cloud Lord can be seen as an air-themed counterpart to the earth-themed Pale Ones. Like how the Pale Ones now start in Agartha, the Cloud Lord starts in the sky. The Cloud Lord shares a lot of its magic with the Warlock, but is much more focused on the element of Air and on Storm Magic, and have access to a slightly altered list of summons. The Cloud Lord's recruitable troops can all fly, and many of them have magic weapons. While the Cloud Lord's magic mainly uses sapphires, other types of gems can be used for a small number of more specialized rituals, and also to recruit certain elite troops.

The new planes are The Sky, The Primal Plane, Celestial Realm and finally Aztlan, where the Aztlan demon gods dwell.

Naval fights

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
summoning dragons
Yes.

a successful Scourge Lord will slowly turn the entire world into a barren desert in his pursuit of power
Yes !

The new planes are The Sky, The Primal Plane, Celestial Realm and finally Aztlan, where the Aztlan demon gods dwell.
Yees !

Naval fights
YESS !

I just hope they got plane warfare correctly and that moving through planes has some real strategic interest. But this looks good.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Now that we know the follower is coming with tweaked planes mechanics, I can reveal the big secret I learned in COE4 :
There is at least one recrutable indy commander that does not go crazy in the Void and can be used to explore it.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Now that we know the follower is coming with tweaked planes mechanics, I can reveal the big secret I learned in COE4 :
There is at least one recrutable indy commander that does not go crazy in the Void and can be used to explore it.

Which is...?

Hag

Arbiter
Patron

Which is...?
The Ether Lord, recruitable in the Nexus. Did a fair bit of exploring the Void with them without side effect. I wanted to send some wizards under their command, see if not being active could prevent insanity buildup, but I accidentally destroyed my gate to the Nexus (stupid misclick) and could not ferry commanders around anymore. Most of my troops were being busy conquering Inferno anyway.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Isn't the void... just a void? Filled with horrors? The only point of going to the void that I know of is
Reaching the elemental nexus in the first place or one of the elemental planes if you want to and have no gate.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
From what I know, there's two interests to the Void (apart from plane tourism to visit the weird shit) :
- There's one high-level library with unique spells, which can be used by cultists and I believe other wizards - did not try.
- You can find teleports to Elyseum. May be used to move troops around unseen and potentially faster. Usually the only way out of the place.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Huh, didn't know that. But then I find cultist really boring to play so I never explored it.

Norfleet

To be honest, in CoE3 the deer menace was bothersome enough to warrant specific planning. It was worse than the vast majority of enemy nations.
Realistic. Have you ever fought a deer before? It's exactly like that. Deer are a menace. But a delicious one.

The Dominions AI needs a lot more than that. It doesn't understand formations and army compositions and it doesn't script it's mages.
Strictly speaking, it doesn't NEED to script its mages, since the AI already has direct control of them. If the AI could actually understand what spells were appropriate to cast, it would already be casting them as the default. Humans script their mages because they want to override what the AI chooses to do. It makes no sense for the AI to override itself, whatever the AI would script is already what it wants to do!

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Strictly speaking, it doesn't NEED to script its mages, since the AI already has direct control of them. If the AI could actually understand what spells were appropriate to cast, it would already be casting them as the default. Humans script their mages because they want to override what the AI chooses to do. It makes no sense for the AI to override itself, whatever the AI would script is already what it wants to do!
You have a point, but there's a difference between basic single mage spell AI and army wide magic planning like a player would do.

Norfleet

The difference is "The AI is stupid and doesn't know how to pick the most appropriate thing". If the AI were picking the correct answer, we wouldn't NEED to script spells, because we wouldn't need to override incorrect behavior.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom