Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
I basically ignored everything about this game up until today but from what I gathered just now the launch must have been a horrible mess? Those weird artifacts went away after I maxed out AA instead of reducing it. There's still horrible geometry pop in during missions though. Damn.
Interesting. I had to turn off in-game AA more or less entirely (TAA fucking sucks ass), turn off sharpening and use my graphics card software to override and straighten shit up in the past.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
What the hell, is the Vulcan a joke mech? I salvaged one, put some regular Tier 0 or Tier 1 weapons on it and it doesn't even have enough tonnage for armor left.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
What the hell, is the Vulcan a joke mech? I salvaged one, put some regular Tier 0 or Tier 1 weapons on it and it doesn't even have enough tonnage for armor left.
It's bound to be hella garbage with the vanilla MW5 mechlab, it's really not much better in TT. At 40t an XL is practically fucking mandatory, and Endo/Ferro are ideal. Its hardpoints with the MW5 vanilla system are going to be miserable, the fucker's a jokemech. Ironically it was practically godmode when it got rolled out in MWO because once you rip it apart and install an XL/LFE, DHS, Endo and Ferro you can actually do insane shit with it and its hitboxes are goofy as fuck.

In TT if you're throwing a Vulcan at anything but token infantry/vehicle/shit light mech resistance you're probably in over your head. Most of its variants are awful to some degree.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vulcan is fine as long as you don't need to fight any other mechs lol.

Compare that with a Jenner or a Spider. A Javelin has average speed for a light 'mech.

I'm in a shadowhawk now, I put an AC10 on it. I wish it could kick and punch, but that's a general issue with all mechwarrior titles. The extra 100 metres in range from the AC10 is nice, and the game seems a little less twitchy.

I did a "multi-mission" quest thing, basically the Capellans asked me to investigate some message. It was just the same as the regular pre-gen missions, though; they just strung two generic missions together and awarded me a bonus prize for completing them. If these missions don't start offering some substance, I'm going to downgrade this from MW4 lite to just pure shit.
You can charge and DFA in MW2 and 3. 4 removed it, I think. But, yeah, kicking was my main method of taking out enemy 'mechs in the tabletop. Run in a 7/11/7 50 tonner with TSM activated and you can leg just about anyone with one shot.

MW4 definitely had DFA, it took some skill/luck to pull off but it had high damage and was very satisfying thanks to the mechs falling to the ground. You could charge/bump into each other as well, but the damage was practically nothing.

Cael

Arcane
Vulcan is an anti-infantry 'mech, meant to be a sort of "pacify the populace" type of machine. It is shit because it is designed around low damage, high volume weapons.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
My biggest fuck-up so far:

Bought a rare Annihilator with 4x LBX-10 ACs for 8m. Proceeded to a Beachhead mission. Artillery strike after artillery strike hits my lumbering piece of shit (~35km/h top speed). Ammo cooks off, I lose three of four LBXs, abort the mission and end up with a 5m repair bill, not counting the weapons I had no access to (the auto-cannons).

Sold the fucking thing and hung my head in shame.

The 3x PPC Awesome is a bro, though.

Cael

Arcane
My biggest fuck-up so far:

Bought a rare Annihilator with 4x LBX-10 ACs for 8m. Proceeded to a Beachhead mission. Artillery strike after artillery strike hits my lumbering piece of shit (~35km/h top speed). Ammo cooks off, I lose three of four LBXs, abort the mission and end up with a 5m repair bill, not counting the weapons I had no access to (the auto-cannons).

Sold the fucking thing and hung my head in shame.

The 3x PPC Awesome is a bro, though.
Bwahahahaha! Ah yes. The Anni. The Urbie on steroids. Cute fella, but with the armour of tissue paper and the speed of a stunned snail.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I know little about the Battletech lore but from what I've read in the game I'm not surprised anymore that there's "trap" mechs, considering how slapdash some of the designs apparently are.

Cael

Arcane
I know little about the Battletech lore but from what I've read in the game I'm not surprised anymore that there's "trap" mechs, considering how slapdash some of the designs apparently are.
A lot of the originals were based off manga mecha. As a result, they had to put in what the mecha had.

However, there are a number of 'mechs that were literally traps and were pointed out as such in their descriptions. Banshee and Charger being the two more famous traps.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
A lot of the originals were based off manga mecha. As a result, they had to put in what the mecha had.

However, there are a number of 'mechs that were literally traps and were pointed out as such in their descriptions. Banshee and Charger being the two more famous traps.

By slapdash I meant in-game. I've seen multiple descriptions that went along the lines of "This was a horrible mistake and/or experimental design that never really took off but you still see it around on occasion".

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
The Cyclops is a real POS, too.

90 tons of assault mech dogshit that can get its ass whooped by a 55t mech. In lore, it's a C3 vehicle, justifying its painfully terrible armaments. In-game, there's literally no representation of that capability that's affected by any mech characteristic, so it's just fucking shit.

Cael

Arcane

90 tons of assault mech dogshit that can get its ass whooped by a 55t mech. In lore, it's a C3 vehicle, justifying its painfully terrible armaments. In-game, there's literally no representation of that capability that's affected by any mech characteristic, so it's just fucking shit.
AC20 is always a mistake.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
mw3 was the last one which let you build mechs which would suicidexplode with a single click. that can't be bad.

You can almost do the same here. Strip all heat sinks and armor, fill up crits with useless ammo, add a couple pulse lasers for fast heat buildup. During mission, activate heat override, charge while firing and profit. It does require multiple clicks, though.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected

AC20 is always a mistake.
Man you are really going for "worst Battletech poster ever" here man

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Huh just realised some of the Hero mechs are better tonnage wise due to endo steel and all those other stuff, but can't see without stripping them in instant action.
That unique rifleman running around with 2 Gauss Rifles, well until you lose your arms.
I'm running around with base rifleman with 2 cheap Heavy Rifles instead, keep getting overheats but fun for those headshots.
Fun with firestarter, shut down enemy mechs and roast them with 6 flamers.

I abandoned vanilla game early but the DLC made the missions better, very few of those boring crater base maps now.
Still to reach late game to see if the spawns break then.
Get the skip jump sector mod.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom