Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment .

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
Replaying PST now (only played it once in 2005 I think). I have a few games on my playlist, but got PST EE copy from begging thread and thought i'd just run it to quickly check out changes in EE and go back to playing other games... but I was instantly hooked again and yesterday I spent literally whole day on just PST, just as today's morning. Unfortunately I have some stuff to attend to, so I have to take a few hours break.

By the way, am I the only one who never liked Annah? I like every joinable NPC in the game, but she was always repugnant and annoying. I don't dig her character at all. She's as annoying as Minsc in BG.

I made a party of Morte, Fall-from-Grace, Ignus, Nordom and Dak'kon. I'll probably take Vhailor once I can, but idk whom to kick out then.
All of the companions are shit tbh, Dak'kon and Mortes' backstories are interesting but thats late game stuff there.

Darkzone

Arcane
Great game but with some problems. Nowhere near being a cult game that codexers think this game is.
8/10

Cult status doesn't indicate quality, it indicates popularity.
Hmmm... Ist it that it achieves the cult status due to an inherent and sometimes on release overseen quality like Blade Runner? Or is it so bad that it becomes good by achieving an ascribed quality like in the case of The Room?
And this quality leads to a following by a minor / small but vocal group (in that aspect) which acts comparable to a religious cult?

Last edited:

Dick

Educated
When I played PS:T first, I always thought how good, even so much better everything is, even the combat system, than in Baldurs Gayte for example. Trully magnificent, also in BG you can rest practically everywhere like before an enemy patrol for hours on end, yeah very realistic isnt it, but in PS:T you can only rest in specific places. It is just more polished game all in all. a superb storyfaq game and superior combatfaq game.
And the mage spell animations just wipe the floor with farting fantasys chocobo spell animu animations...

Repressed Homosexual
I always despised this game, boring and pretentious. What's the point of good writing if everything is convoluted, pedant, melodramatic and uninteresting? It gives me a headache just to think about it.

I always thought that it became a cult game because it was released at a point where most people who play RPGs were emo teenagers.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I made a party of Morte, Fall-from-Grace, Ignus, Nordom and Dak'kon. I'll probably take Vhailor once I can, but idk whom to kick out then.

I'd definitely get rid of Ignus. Always found him pretty lame but maybe that's just me.

mkultra

Augur
How is the modding community for PS:T, anything that makes it bigger/better/more varied/adds cut content, new characters, kits or other good/fitting fan content etc?

Haven't looked at that in many years, i do believe i had some fix pack last time i played.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm actually in the middle of replaying the game myself right now.

I've experienced one too many crashes while changing zones and I'm not sure if that's the EE working its magic or if original had the same issue. Other than that it's surreal the way I find myself enjoying the game while my own experience mirrors that of the Nameless One - half-remembering game's story and setting along the way. Some 20 hours in and it becomes apparent just how different PST is compared to modern CRPG in how organically integrated everything is more akin to an adventure game. You know all those little "woman rubs embalming fluids on your skin and sweets talks you for +1 max HP" moments would be telegraphed with neon signs because god forbid players miss something. Also, due to UI changes in EE, I'm glad to report combat is nowhere NEAR the chore it used to be.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I kinda prefere reading Torment novel intead of the game itself.
The novel was great for its first third but lost direction after the characters are mazed.

51UIOagl+2L.SX316.SY480._SL500_.jpg

By the hunger of change and emotion,

By the thirst of unbearable things,

By despair, the twin-born of devotion,

By the pleasure that winces and stings,

The delight that consumes the desire,

The desire that outruns the delight,

By the cruelty deaf as a fire

And blind as the night,

By the ravenous teeth that have smitten

Through the kisses that blossom and bud,

By the lips intertwisted and bitten

Till the foam has a savor of blood,

By the pulse as it rises and falters,

By the hands as they slacken and strain,

I adjure thee, respond from thine altars,

Our Lady of Pain.

Falksi

Arcane
Could never get into PST. I missed it first time round, had my first blast on it late 00's and tried again about 5 years ago, but it was just too text heavy for me.

Willing to give it another go though. Some of my fave games I hated on their initial play, and only succumbed to when played at the right time years later.

This is one of those old games where half the shit in it doesn't work properly or at all so a lot of people will just give up and never read the novel's worth of beloved storyfag text. But it's a Dungeons & Dragons story so lol.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Just one note on playing Thief, Fighter, and Mage. Since you get one stat point per level, thieves need only 220K XPs per level after 10 as opposed to fighters 250K, and mages 375K. So, at 4M XPs, a thief would be level 28, while a mage would be level 20. So, that's 8 stat points left on the table. I'd rather have stat points in this game than spell effects for the most part.

Repressed Homosexual
The novel was great for its first third but lost direction after the characters are mazed.

And blind as the night,

Our Lady of Pain.

Why would anyone want to play in a setting full of made up nonsense, degeneracy and angst that looks like a Salvador Dali painting?

Nobody normal, that's who, and that's why this setting died.

MartinK

Learned
It piss me off that planescape the very best fantasy setting in existence is dead (in crpg at least ) while forgotten realms the very worst fantasy setting in existence is alive and kicking :negative:

What is Glorantha? What is Middle-earth? It’s not even the very best in the D&D franchise as Dark Sun is simply better.

Jigby

Augur
Thief apart from the infinite consumables would be a lot more fun to play, if the thiefesque weapons that have the stun effect property actually worked like it does in the other Infinity Engine games. Here they can stun your NPCs easily, but enemies just kind of ignore the effect.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Just one note on playing Thief, Fighter, and Mage. Since you get one stat point per level, thieves need only 220K XPs per level after 10 as opposed to fighters 250K, and mages 375K. So, at 4M XPs, a thief would be level 28, while a mage would be level 20. So, that's 8 stat points left on the table. I'd rather have stat points in this game than spell effects for the most part.
I'd say you can almost offset the difference with items and special boosts you can get for certain actions. Then again, PST won't really bust your balls in the first place.

Darkzone

Arcane

And blind as the night,

Our Lady of Pain.

Why would anyone want to play in a setting full of made up nonsense, degeneracy and angst that looks like a Salvador Dali painting?

Nobody normal, that's who, and that's why this setting died.
It died like Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Spelljammer, Kara-Tur (FR), Al-Qadim (FR), Maztica (FR), Malatra (FR) or Rokugan. It was different than other quite typical tolkienesque settings.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Planescape torment shines by its writing and story. But it may not ring for everybody. Like litterature. There are some novels that I like and other don't, or the opposite.
I greatly enjoyed the game but it's true that if you don't care about the story and play for the mechanisms, then it's pretty shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom