Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's a useless franchise. Didn't he get the Wasteland franchise from EA or Activison, too? It's no biggie, I think.

Obsidian people have confirmed that they've tried to license Arcanum from Activision and were told no. They don't want to fund an Arcanum game and they don't want other people making money off it either, just squatting on the IP.
Good.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, somehow missed Brian Hicks, director of DayZ after the departure of Dean Hall, is working at inXile as Creative Director: https://twitter.com/hicks_206

Most likely working on Frostpoint.

He left inXile, and joined the company of Dean Hall.

Wonder what's going on with Frostpoint. It was supposed to be released last year and now lost its creative director.

Indeed, what he was working on was a different project, a survival game, than Frostpoint VR, a team-based shooter: https://www.pcgamer.com/from-battle-royale-to-burnout-with-former-dayz-director-brian-hicks/

The project was a learning curve for Bohemia Interactive, which found itself at the centre of a new genre after years in simulation shooters like Arma. In that sense the studio, “sometimes begrudgingly”, became a student of Hicks and Hall – the pair teaching their employer in the ways of the survival game. Though both men have since moved on, you can still see their lessons in Bohemia’s Vigor, a shelter-building shooter set in post-war Norway.

Hicks resumed his role as teacher while at InXile, the RPG developer behind Wasteland, on a cancelled VR survival game. He found a willing pupil in Brian Fargo. “There was a lot of give and take there,” Hicks says.

I'd guess they repurposed the canceled survival game into Frostpoint VR, to fulfill contractual obligation to the publisher or something.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Somewhat related, Fargo took an advisor role for Thirdverse, the publisher of Frostpoint VR.
https://www.thirdverse.io/en/article-2021-08-10.html
https://www.thirdverse.io/ja/article-2021-08-10.html

Additionally, renowned video game producer and founder of inXile Entertainment, a Microsoft Xbox Game Studio, Brian Fargo has joined the Thirdverse advisory board.

I’m really looking forward to working as an advisor to Thirdverse as they explore the future of VR and I’m especially pleased that Hironao Kunitmitsu is the CEO. I’ve found Hiro to be a thoughtful, passionate and insightful leader that cares and has true vision.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That Avowed fanboy also published something about inXile's unannounced RPG last month: https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-game-studios-cobalt-indus

Project "Cobalt" (inXile Entertainment)

project-cobalt-concept-art.jpg

Source: Aleksander Danilovac / ArtStation

As teased by inXile Entertainment itself on Twitter, the Wasteland studio is working on a new FPS RPG, although details remain shrouded in mystery.

What we do know is that it's codenamed Cobalt, and believe it has a Steampunk-style, inspired by Industrial Revolution-inspired tech. Expect steam engines, zeppelins, retro-futuristic robots, dark Victorian-era streets, and more. The above concept art was shared by inXile concept artist Aleksander Danilovac on ArtStation, and we have reason to believe this is representative of the environmental style inXile is gunning to deliver. Venture Beat editor, Jeff Grubb, previously stated that inXile's next game could be targeting a 2023 release.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The ”possible” setting sounds interesting, but I just can’t get a hard on for yet another vapid and mundane first person shooter posing as an RPG.

jackofshadows

Magister
Environment is good enough, I'd say (1st-person play implied, obviously). All that's left is to insert a good game in it.

Curratum

Mmm, can't wait for a shitty game that barely runs at 50 fps on hardware that should be able to produce at least 120 fps, given the detail and visuals.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I look forward to sitting there for hours watching quirky characters talk, then pushing W in lushly rendered environments, left clicking on inexplicably committed opponents who would die to stop me from getting a key, and selecting between 20 different ways to raise my DPS.

Actually I wonder if they will bring something interesting to the table but not holding my breath.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually I wonder if they will bring something interesting to the table

I had hoped for a game that, sure, was in first person, but wasn’t inherently an FPS or an action game (with some stats). But alas…

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
He was seeing green from the start, not red. He.... he lied to us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom