Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment .

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Just one note on playing Thief, Fighter, and Mage. Since you get one stat point per level, thieves need only 220K XPs per level after 10 as opposed to fighters 250K, and mages 375K. So, at 4M XPs, a thief would be level 28, while a mage would be level 20. So, that's 8 stat points left on the table. I'd rather have stat points in this game than spell effects for the most part.
I'd say you can almost offset the difference with items and special boosts you can get for certain actions. Then again, PST won't really bust your balls in the first place.
Sure - there are a lot of ways to go about it, but the XPs required for mages is pretty steep. Mage is a good class as int facilitates a lot of the story and you get nice touches like Dak'korn's story - but if I was going to cheese the game to see as much as possible of all quests and such, I'd level primarily in thief with a 15 dex, int and wisdom, and then level up to 11 in mage or so when convenient to hit those storyline elements, then switch back to Thief. Think you also have to be a mage to get the most story/events out of Ignus, the burning jerk.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Why would anyone want to play in a setting full of made up nonsense, degeneracy and angst that looks like a Salvador Dali painting?

Nobody normal, that's who, and that's why this setting died.
It died like Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Spelljammer, Kara-Tur (FR), Al-Qadim (FR), Maztica (FR), Malatra (FR) or Rokugan. It was different than other quite typical tolkienesque settings.
Dragonlance was created by TSR in 1984 as a Tolkienesque series of epic adventures, with an associated novel trilogy that exploded in popularity beyond anyone's expectations, and then became a proper setting in 1987. However, TSR soon began undermining any competitors to The Forgotten Realms, created in 1987 to replace Greyhawk as the generic, default AD&D campaign setting. This ultimately led to the cancellation of Greyhawk in 1994, followed by the termination of D&D's Known World / Mystara setting after a half-hearted attempt at bringing it to AD&D. Dragonlance wasn't formally cancelled but had almost no gaming products published for it (novels were a different matter). Since the demise of TSR in 1997, the owners of the D&D/AD&D intellectual property have shown little interest in settings outside of The Forgotten Realms. Planescape had a few remaining items published in 1997 and 1998 but was then dropped, as with almost everything else.

Darkzone

Arcane
Why would anyone want to play in a setting full of made up nonsense, degeneracy and angst that looks like a Salvador Dali painting?

Nobody normal, that's who, and that's why this setting died.
It died like Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Spelljammer, Kara-Tur (FR), Al-Qadim (FR), Maztica (FR), Malatra (FR) or Rokugan. It was different than other quite typical tolkienesque settings.
Dragonlance was created by TSR in 1984 as a Tolkienesque series of epic adventures, with an associated novel trilogy that exploded in popularity beyond anyone's expectations, and then became a proper setting in 1987. However, TSR soon began undermining any competitors to The Forgotten Realms, created in 1987 to replace Greyhawk as the generic, default AD&D campaign setting. This ultimately led to the cancellation of Greyhawk in 1994, followed by the termination of D&D's Known World / Mystara setting after a half-hearted attempt at bringing it to AD&D. Dragonlance wasn't formally cancelled but had almost no gaming products published for it (novels were a different matter). Since the demise of TSR in 1997, the owners of the D&D/AD&D intellectual property have shown little interest in settings outside of The Forgotten Realms. Planescape had a few remaining items published in 1997 and 1998 but was then dropped, as with almost everything else.
Yes but i never claimed that Dragonlance was not a Tolkienesque setting and with the use of "It" i refer only to Planescape and not my list. But to be honest i don't know how to qualify Dragonlance since it has too much written material. Also i don't really know if it will not surface again with the new upcoming novels by Hickman's and Weis (at least it seems that they will be released this year). And if they sale numbers are high enough then Dragonlance might find a re release for the 5E.
I would have also named Grayhawk as discontinued, but there was something and it made me erase it from the written list. Dark Sun is also critical since it has materials in the 4E. Yes currently the only continued settings are Eberron, Ravenloft and Forgotten Realms (parts of it) and therefore everything else can be pronounced as dead, at least until WotC decides to revive the settings by creating new material or adapting it for the 5E.

laclongquan

Arcane
Another thing, Torment, like any other rpg suffers from "side quests that have nothing to do with the main character" syndrome, where Nameless One goes around doing random tasks for random people, whereas Disco Elysium avoids this trope and a much better experience for it compared to what it would have been otherwise.

No no, there's a few side quest that reference TNO's past incarnations, both with memory scenes and not. It's the entirely unexpected which quest will bring what memory to the front that drive me to complete the numerous sidequest.

it's a good trick that make use of good writings to drive players to play the game. Because if the writings is bad? Who would do so much sidequest then~

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Dragonlance was created by TSR in 1984 as a Tolkienesque series of epic adventures, with an associated novel trilogy that exploded in popularity beyond anyone's expectations, and then became a proper setting in 1987.

I never played the PnP but I read the Dragonlance books, the ones by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis. How is the setting similar to the Middle Earth? Doesn't really seem similar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom