Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Meanwhile Larian just announced on twitter a new studio: Larian Barcelona.
It's their SEVENTH studio.

Yeah, I don't even want to hear arguments about how tight they may be on the budget.

Harthwain

Magister
Honestly the names of the studios make it sound like they exist solely as a front as their real purpose is world tour for Sven (Guild Ford, Dublin, Kuala Lumpur, Quebec, Barcelona, Saint Petersburg).

Shrimp

Arbiter
What are the purposes of all the difference studios even? If I recall correctly one of them (The one in Dublin I think?) was specifically for housing motion capture facilities, but that still leaves a whole bunch of other studios.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
What are the purposes of all the difference studios even? If I recall correctly one of them (The one in Dublin I think?) was specifically for housing motion capture facilities, but that still leaves a whole bunch of other studios.
Now I don't have to book an airbnb when I travel there.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
It's so typical that I have to assume there's solid tax reasons, but I'm too poor to know.

Codex Year of the Donut

Yeah, I don't even want to hear arguments about how tight they may be on the budget.

swen's 4 year old game is still the most popular RPG on steam
SvH4Zib.png

They're already expanding substantially faster than Crytek.

That Early Access cash must be going to good use. To fund Larian's Skyrim clone, that is.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

And yet could't raise more money on KS than Pathfinder : Wrath of the Righteous. $2,054,339 VS $2,032,434. A Russian "boomer" RPG sequel to a bugfest got more money than a "must play" game according to game journalists.

That Early Access cash must be going to good use. To fund Larian's Skyrim clone, that is.

If there is no retarded armor system on skyrim clone, nor cooldowns, nor the carnavalesque armor and larian writing, this skyrim clone can be interesting. In other words it should be more designed following Divine Divinity design and less following dos1/2 design.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I'm sure this hypothetical Larian's Skyrim clone will be significantly better than the original.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Skyrim is a fucked up case since the average player you find on the internet has come to terms with the fact that it's a mediocre game, yet they still play it because of mods or the jankiness that is perceived as soulful or funny (in a randumb way)

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
cuckdex upset that one of the best turn-based crpgs ever is popular because they hate popular things due to being hipsters

Nope. Dark Souls is popular and liked here. Is just not considered great as other better games. Diablo 2 was popular and is half/half, half like half hate. Mount & Blade is popular and liked here. DOS1/2 is not liked by SOME members here due the nonsensical game mechanics, writing among other things. And guess what. Even on Codex, DOS 1/2 appears above Kingdom Come Deliverance, Dark Sun : Shattered LAnds, Ultima Underworld, Elex, M&B warband, M&M V : World of Xeen and Temple of Elemental Evil.

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=11193

The best therm to describe codex is a forum of grognards, nor a forum of hipsters. And even here, grognards are much more loud than numerous. DOS1/2 above ToEE is unbelievable. ToEE is a masterpiece despite the lv cap and "go kill Balors and demon lords at lv 10" BS. I even wonder if people who voted for dos1/2 ever played ToEE and Dark Sun games...

Codex Year of the Donut
cuckdex upset that one of the best turn-based crpgs ever is popular because they hate popular things due to being hipsters

Nope. Dark Souls is popular and liked here. Is just not considered great as other better games. Diablo 2 was popular and is half/half, half like half hate. Mount & Blade is popular and liked here. DOS1/2 is not liked by SOME members here due the nonsensical game mechanics, writing among other things. And guess what. Even on Codex, DOS 1/2 appears above Kingdom Come Deliverance, Dark Sun : Shattered LAnds, Ultima Underworld, Elex, M&B warband, M&M V : World of Xeen and Temple of Elemental Evil.

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=11193

The best therm to describe codex is a forum of grognards, nor a forum of hipsters. And even here, grognards are much more loud than numerous. DOS1/2 above ToEE is unbelievable. ToEE is a masterpiece despite the lv cap and "go kill Balors and demon lords at lv 10" BS. I even wonder if people who voted for dos1/2 ever played ToEE and Dark Sun games...
dark souls isn't even an rpg, case in point

vibehunter

Learned

And yet could't raise more money on KS than Pathfinder : Wrath of the Righteous. $2,054,339 VS $2,032,434. A Russian "boomer" RPG sequel to a bugfest got more money than a "must play" game according to game journalists.

That was all me, man. Figured I'd divert a couple mil from my African real estate ventures and support a great game.

Anonona

Learned

Truly, the mark of good games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...f-numenera?ref=discovery_category_most_funded

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity?lang=es

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire
Also, this JRPG was funded the same year as PF: WoTR, guess it must be even better!

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...red-heroes?ref=discovery_category_most_funded
That, without counting that PF:WoTR incentivized users to pledge higher amounts of cash. Compare D:OS 2's maximum allowed contribution, 750$, with PF:WoTR's maximum, 10.000$. Furthermore, Owlcat also allowed pledges of 1.500$, 2.000$, 4.000$ and 5.000$. Most users will only pay the minimum amount required to receive their rewards, so it is easy to explain how with less backers they somehow were able to reach a higher amount of money. Add that Kickstarter had become more popular with the years, and D:OS2 was funded in a time where KC project were considered a scam by many for their many failed projects (Mighty Nº9 among many other countless games, etc) and the present after a decent amount of successful projects (D:OS 1 and 2, PF:KM, Hollow Knight, Bloodstained, etc.)

Tl:dr: This is a disingenuous argument and when one look at the numbers it may actually leave PF:WoTR in a worse place that you think.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom