Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
...and now the latest CDPR meetings suggest they are moving on and sweeping Cyberpunk under the rug.
If that happens the entire reputation will go out the window and rightfully so. That opinion will solidify since they won't be releasing anything anytime soon.

I can already see people constantly asking them 'When will you finish Cyberpunk?' like it is the next 'Why did you fire Brad's wife?'.

Last edited:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I can already see people constantly asking them 'When will you finish Cyberpunk?' like it is the next 'Why did you fire Brad's wife?'.
It's been six months.

To draw a comparison to No Man's Sky, another overhyped turd that released to catastrophic reception - by the 6 month mark the NSM developers were already busy rolling out major bugfixes and content patches, and they've kept up support for the game for almost 4 years now. Arguably, the game is still the same shallow experience it was at launch, with the same flawed gameplay design, but at the very least Hello Games stuck by their product.

What have CDPR done in the past 6 months to unfuck the game? Besides that hilariously vague "roadmap" from a while back, they've actually done nothing much to improve the actual game.

The fact they've given up getting the game back on the PS Store should be a pretty big hint that they've abandoned the product and are just waiting for the majority of people to stop giving a fuck so when they do announce they've dropped support for the game, so the backlash won't be nearly as vocal.

As for their future, I don't think it's all that bright. Their one ace in the hole was their (fraudulent) reputation as a costumer friendly company that put quality of their product first, and whose call to fame was the quality of writing.

Now that they're apparently spending more time pandering to homosexuals and trannies, and hiring more and more dangerhairs, it's obvious that the quality of the writing will take an equally sharp nosedive.

And that's saying nothing of the fact that they have fuckall to showcase - and this will remain the case for at least another 2-3 years. 2077 likely burned away a lot of talent, energy and goodwill among the workforce, and it's unlikely many will remain to suffer through another mismanaged clown show and get mocked by the whole gaming community again.

They had once chance to make it to the big leagues, and they blew it. EA, Ubisoft and the like don't have to give a shit, they have stuff like FIFA and AssCreed to fall back on if all else fails, CDPR don't have a consistent cashcow to milk.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
https://www.databreaches.net/babuk-re-organizes-as-payload-bin-offers-its-first-leak/

CD Projekt. CD Projekt was attacked in February by attackers using what is believed to be the Hello Kitty ransomware. The hackers had put the stolen source code up for sale on a Russian-language forum, listing it all as:
  • Full sources for the games Thronebreaker , Witcher 3 , the undeclared Witcher 3 RTX (the version of the Witcher with raytracing) and of course Cyberpunk 2077
  • Dumps of internal documents
  • CD Projekt RED offenses .

They subsequently withdrew the auction listing, claiming that they had received a satisfactory offer from outside of the forum, and that because of a condition of no further distribution, they were removing the listing from auction.

Now Payload Bin says they will make all source code available on its site. So what, exactly, happened to that sale with “no further distribution?”

L7lgh7G.png

So hackers decided to leak CDPR's shit despite being paid in order no to do so. And in addition to Witcher 3, cyberpunk 77 and gwent source codes they are also going to leak CDPR's PS4, PS5, Xbox series X and Switch SDKs.

:dead: poles are fucked.
What should we make of the code once it goes public (it's still a big if)? That CP2077 is programmed by yesterdays students and studio interns? Wow big suprise.

Gerrard

Arcane
https://www.databreaches.net/babuk-re-organizes-as-payload-bin-offers-its-first-leak/

CD Projekt. CD Projekt was attacked in February by attackers using what is believed to be the Hello Kitty ransomware. The hackers had put the stolen source code up for sale on a Russian-language forum, listing it all as:
  • Full sources for the games Thronebreaker , Witcher 3 , the undeclared Witcher 3 RTX (the version of the Witcher with raytracing) and of course Cyberpunk 2077
  • Dumps of internal documents
  • CD Projekt RED offenses .

They subsequently withdrew the auction listing, claiming that they had received a satisfactory offer from outside of the forum, and that because of a condition of no further distribution, they were removing the listing from auction.

Now Payload Bin says they will make all source code available on its site. So what, exactly, happened to that sale with “no further distribution?”

L7lgh7G.png

So hackers decided to leak CDPR's shit despite being paid in order no to do so. And in addition to Witcher 3, cyberpunk 77 and gwent source codes they are also going to leak CDPR's PS4, PS5, Xbox series X and Switch SDKs.

Since when did they pay anything to the hackers? Sounds like something that should be released in an official statement.

1 million refunds was a youtuber estimate? I purposely didn't watch the avalanche of bad take videos, so I figured it was just a retarded rumor that snowballed. Somehow I'm not surprised people are more than willing to parrot baseless claims as long as they're made by someone with an inflated number under their name :dance:
You do realise that's what I was saying, right? A YouTuber polled his channel followers and then incorrectly extrapolated to the general gaming public
Yeah, because the actual number of returns was close to 10%, so higher than 1 million.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think CDPR is doing just fine. If you look at their financial and equity situation without butthurt fan sensationalism, you will see that they have enough cash and assets to go full speed ahead. Their plans for the future include acquisitions and expansions, not contractions. They have several projects on the side, they have Gwent which they continiously release expansions for, GoG etc.

Trash Player

Scholar
The owners are doing mighty fine. It is a successful venture moneywise. The question is keeping RED's label or not.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
If that happens the entire reputation will go out the window and rightfully so.
CDP's reputation among thinking people is already down the drain and consoomers will defend them to the death, whatever they do. Moving on from CP2077 will have no further negative consequences, as long as they do it quiet like and continue to release insignificant "fixes".

DeepOcean

Arcane
Yes, they are fine, yes, consumers are retards, the question is are they going to reinflate the hype so they are seen by investors as having a stock as valued as Ubisoft? Can they reinflate that delusion? Nope, that delusion died with Cyberbug. Iwinski was a greedy retard aiming at Rockstar with the whole CyberGTA online and that dream died for now. Those announcements of multiple AAA projects all with multiplayer sounds like they trying hard to do some investor baiting to reinflate their stock.

There is a problem too with the public perception of Cyberpunk as a franchise, sure, consumers are sheep but even sheep have memory and their last memory of the franchise is trying to boot the game on their PS 4 and playing a PS 1 game. CDPR invested alot on it and they will spend years making those new projects, unless they plan to just burn through their reserves, they need a revenue stream for all those years and doesnt seem logical to abandon Cyberbug when it is their only game with assets ready to milk for years to come.

However, Iwinski retarded greed was the main cause behind the launch of this game, I have no doubt his hubris and greed driving him to overextend again and think abandoning Cyberbug to get to the new peojects ASAP is a good idea, he is a greedy retard that lost more than half of his company valuation, so retard do retarded things is totally possible.

Gargaune

Magister
I don't think it's worth circling back to the "greed" argument when the game's sorry state is clearly a failure of design and project management, not intentions. That's the real tragedy of Cyberpunked, that it could've hit its lofty goals if the creative process had been more accurate and thorough, and they won't get that chance again any time soon. As for their next game, it'll be a Witcher 4 as CDPR will pivot to patching up their company brand as opposed to struggling to get diminishing returns in "redeeming" CBP. They'll market TW4 on its predecessors' cachet and then, assuming a successful rollout, they'll swing back to a CBP2 and pitch it on TW4's performance.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Stock price doesn't change the dividents. Hype for CP inflated the price and any businessman knew it won't last. What was of consequence was the sales and there CDP found huge success.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
As for their next game, it'll be a Witcher 4 as CDPR will pivot to patching up their company brand as opposed to struggling to get diminishing returns in "redeeming" CBP.
How is finishing CP2077 a diminishing return? Their next AAA game won't be ready for years.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Source code leak?

Is that some reverse psychology to animate modders to fix their game (for free!)?

Gargaune

Magister
How is finishing CP2077 a diminishing return? Their next AAA game won't be ready for years.
I imagine they'll put out an expansion or something to squeeze all the revenue on offer, but don't expect any sweeping gestures in terms of free DLC or the base game, it's starting to look like there isn't much good will left to mine there, at least not at an accessible cost.

Is that some reverse psychology to animate modders to fix their game (for free!)?
Speaking of modding, it's a damn crying shame CDPR didn't bother supplying a native solution for adding content into the game. There's fair bunch of modders editing base assets (I love my red Quadra Ferrari) but it's all replacers, can't put new stuff in there.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
...it's starting to look like there isn't much good will left to mine there, at least not at an accessible cost.
If a piece of shit game like "No Man's Sky" could earn grudging respect for how much work they put into it then why not CP2077?

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
If a piece of shit game like "No Man's Sky" could earn grudging respect for how much work they put into it then why not CP2077?
For one, because CDP is already backpedaling on the whole idea of "finishing" CP2077. For another, No Man's Sky devs haven't released another game, success of which we can judge, so theirs is not a relevant example.

Gargaune

Magister
If a piece of shit game like "No Man's Sky" could earn grudging respect
It doesn't, and I've expressed my apprehension of that dubious narrative in here before. I also suspect that a factor may be the press which was rooting for NMS before launch, and might've been eager to push this "redemption" bullshit, despite the fundamentals of the game not having changed.* Meanwhile, some journalists have long seemed to harbour a certain antipathy towards CDPR.

As for CBP, I don't think that "it runs okay now" is gonna do much for its reputation at this point, and I fear that all the drama over console performance has largely obscured the core design issues the game has. I'd like to see a sizeable megadungeon expansion for it, an opportunity for CDPR to prove that they can do agency and level design (as much as the game's framework could support), but I'm starting to doubt we'll get something like that.

* This is your friendly reminder that NMS is €49 on GOG, compared to DX4 at €45. Both are 2016 games and that's about where the similarities end.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
I don't think that "it runs okay now" is gonna do much for its reputation at this point
I wasn't thinking about it 'running okay now' when comparing it to the rework that went into NMS.

Gargaune

Magister
I wasn't thinking about it 'running okay now' when comparing it to the rework that went into NMS.
So what are you thinking of, what could they do at this point? 'Cause I just don't see how you "fix" core design in a AAA-game post launch, you're constrained by existing level design, VO assets, save compatibility etc., Cyberpunk isn't some overpriced procedurally-seeded little art project like NMS. Not to mention that CDPR's running costs are orders of magnitude higher than HG's.

Codex Year of the Donut
sales flatlined, ofc they're going to drop support for it
witcher 3 got so much post-release support because it kept selling

there's a new edition of witcher 3 releasing in a couple months for next-gen consoles/PC, do you think cyberpunk will be getting enhanced editions and ported to new platforms in 2027?

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
So what are you thinking of, what could they do at this point? 'Cause I just don't see how you "fix" core design in a AAA-game post launch, you're constrained by existing level design, VO assets, save compatibility etc., Cyberpunk isn't some overpriced procedurally-seeded little art project like NMS. Not to mention that CDPR's running costs are orders of magnitude higher than HG's.
I know the core design is not the best, but in general I was thinking about them at the very least doing what they did to TW3. Basically, finish the elements they obviously rushed out the door, most glaringly the UI and the AI. Plus the other stuff that is less obvious. Get the expansions out the door and make them less linear and more like the showcase mission with the multiple entry points etc, beef up the areas that are empty of content. That's all, that's literally all they need to do to salvage this in most people's eyes.

Gargaune

Magister
I know the core design is not the best, but in general I was thinking about them at the very least doing what they did to TW3. Basically, finish the elements they obviously rushed out the door, most glaringly the UI and the AI. Plus the other stuff that is less obvious. Get the expansions out the door and make them less linear and more like the showcase mission with the multiple entry points etc, beef up the areas that are empty of content. That's all, that's literally all they need to do to salvage this in most people's eyes.
I think you overestimate the impact such changes, where feasible, would make on public perception. The UI could be improved if CDPR were so inclined, but the AI is constrained by hardware limitations, the game's already hard on CPUs and there's no headroom left on last-gen consoles. The bigger problems with the plot structure, character progression architecture, mission length and distribution etc., i.e. the things that really rob CBP of satisfaction, are pretty much set in stone. The difference is that The Witcher 3 was great to play right out the door, regardless of some peripheral flaws like inventory weight or whatnot.

I did agree that the main approach to patching up CBP's reputation would be a great expansion, one to showcase proper player agency, level design and meaningful interplay with the progression system. Preferably one that also involves rolling a new character so that they can properly control for build. Maybe CDPR's designers could finally play a Deus Ex game and fire up the Xerox machine.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
One thing about this thread is that it seems to be all about bugs, graphics and writing. Yeah, they're all matter of concern.

But where's the thread about gameplay and how awful it is, and how it is not being fixed? Is the Codex consensus really that this game is good from a gameplay standpoint and all that it needs is an upgrade on narrative and fixes on glitches?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom