Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Mazisky

Magister
Complaining about forced diversity in a game where you create the characters. Maybe you are confusing it with Chimera Squad

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Complaining about forced diversity in a game where you create the characters
Within the limitations of the chargen, durr.

Maybe they expanded the roster with DLCs. It was a hideous collection of effette numales and mannish womynz when I last played it.

Can you create/add characters who don't look like a netflix diversity brigade now? Post screens of your rosters.
yes, you can... in fact one of the appeals of x-com 2 during launch was people creating custom character lists. You can find many on steamworkshop.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop...edfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch&section=home
Some of these seem pretty interesting, thanks.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Complaining about forced diversity in a game where you create the characters
Within the limitations of the chargen, durr.

Maybe they expanded the roster with DLCs. It was a hideous collection of effette numales and mannish womynz when I last played it.

Can you create/add characters who don't look like a netflix diversity brigade now? Post screens of your rosters.
yes, you can... in fact one of the appeals of x-com 2 during launch was people creating custom character lists. You can find many on steamworkshop.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop...edfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch&section=home
Some of these seem pretty interesting, thanks.

Oh that's what you mean.
Yeah the character maker is pretty crap and limited. It's not as extensive as it should be.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah the character maker is pretty crap and limited. It's not as extensive as it should be.
I felt it was that way on purpose. Somehow, no matter how much I tried, I ended up with a team of unlikable diversity hires.

So let them get eaten by Chrysalids while rubbing one out to the spectacle if you hate them so much.

or just give them full face helmets (I don't remember if there's some out of the box, but there must be some in the mod workshop

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

I felt it was that way on purpose. Somehow, no matter how much I tried, I ended up with a team of unlikable diversity hires.

So let them get eaten by Chrysalids while rubbing one out to the spectacle if you hate them so much.

or just give them full face helmets (I don't remember if there's some out of the box, but there must be some in the mod workshop
I will still remember their hideousness underneath the helmets, and get constantly triggered by it.

Hellraiser

Arcane

Bandanas and other headgear also work, also gives that silly "RAW RAW FIGHT DA ALIEN POWAH!" vibe.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I will still remember their hideousness underneath the helmets, and get constantly triggered by it.
Personally I don't really care about the individual soldiers, all are just bags of stats and skills meant to bring death and destruction to the aliens and once they get their helmet, I don't have to see their ugly mugs anymore

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The expansion sucks ass. Who thought it was a good idea to add in tons of shitty fodder zombie enemies that take no challenge to clear? Plus the whole idea of special units you can't customize goes against the fun of building your own squad of unique dudes.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looking for a mod to allow mission objectives without breaking concealment. Annoying when my ninja plants a bomb and suddenly everyone knows he is there. I could have sworn I saw a mod for this, but can't find it now - which is ironic.

oasis789

Arcane
haven't tried it myself but you can ask the modder on the XCOM 2 Modding discord, he's quite active there.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Plus the whole idea of special units you can't customize goes against the fun of building your own squad of unique dudes.

They are called special units for a reason

I found the option to disable the fixed story introductions, so that's a bit better. I was mostly annoyed by the idea of having preset units I can't customize, but they're randomized in this mode so that's an improvement. I'm still not sure how Super Special Snowflake characters fit X-Com, but it's better than nothing.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Lost my best soldier today. He was with X-Com since the original mission. He will be missed, dearly.
EyxddwdVoAM-w4g

EyxdkODVcAI6YWv

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess we won't see an XCOM 3 that soon:

Marvel XCOM could actually be a good fit given how far they went into superheroes territory. However, Marvel + 2K doesn't make me super optimistic when it comes to predatory business model...

Zeriel

Arcane
Well I'm totally uninterested. Hope Marvel XCOM is a spinoff and not the XCOM team. If it is Firaxis is basically dead to me, Civ 6 was so bad it might as well not exist.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I guess we won't see an XCOM 3 that soon:

Marvel XCOM could actually be a good fit given how far they went into superheroes territory. However, Marvel + 2K doesn't make me super optimistic when it comes to predatory business model...

Yeah it's almost a given they will put all the fan favorite characters as DLC. Would be nice if they went the Freedom Force route.

lightbane

Arcane
In before Khamala Kain again. On the plus side they might allow us to let her die... Unless all of your soldiers are made irreplaceable like the Chimera pro-SJW game did.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I have troubles imagining they would let you have the Hulk die in a random mission.
I too really hope they do this as a side project, but I don't think Firaxis is large enough to make more than 2 "main games" at the same time, and increasing the headcount usually has dramatic repercussions, so I hope they repurposed Civ 6 team for this project!

ArchAngel

Arcane
In before Khamala Kain again. On the plus side they might allow us to let her die... Unless all of your soldiers are made irreplaceable like the Chimera pro-SJW game did.
This is probably going to be a Chimera like game. It might even be more interesting with Marvel characters and no Xcom name.

baud

Arcane
Patron
Maybe they'll go for originality and let us control a team of human goons (like hydra) going up against super heroes: you start with less powerful ones like Daredevil and hawkeye and finish with Hulk and Thor. After each defeated hero, you can upgrade your goons and their equipment, with a system around high turnover

But I don't think Disney would ever let the players control the bad guys and win

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Maybe they'll go for originality and let us control a team of human goons (like hydra) going up against super heroes: you start with less powerful ones like Daredevil and hawkeye and finish with Hulk and Thor. After each defeated hero, you can upgrade your goons and their equipment, with a system around high turnover

But I don't think Disney would ever let the players control the bad guys and win
Disney would certainly not prevent players from buying DLC featuring their favorite super heroes!
Marvel games featuring only minor characters are usually a flop, and usually don't make it to the "Add popular characters as DLC" stage.
Also, if what my friend who had to deal with them told me about Disney partnership is true, and they take 30% of the gross product for hardware projects like legos, it gives a strong incentive to the developer to milk the players as much as possible to make up for it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom