Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Damn, air combat looks deadfire tier retarded, but I got it anyway. Well report on it in a day or two.

razvedchiki

Erudite
unfortunately its half baked like many things in phoenix point, you cant launch fighters to intercept pandorans you just find them on the map and fight them there like what you do in ground missions.
also there are not any ground missions of crashed pandoran flyers. im not 100% sure but the whole pandoran flying menace ends at about mid game, which makes the whole thing a waste of time like the ancients dlc (at least you get some op weapons for the time you spent grinding).

ArchAngel

Arcane
unfortunately its half baked like many things in phoenix point, you cant launch fighters to intercept pandorans you just find them on the map and fight them there like what you do in ground missions.
also there are not any ground missions of crashed pandoran flyers. im not 100% sure but the whole pandoran flying menace ends at about mid game, which makes the whole thing a waste of time like the ancients dlc (at least you get some op weapons for the time you spent grinding).
You can choose when it ends. You get a mission to assault the behemoth but you can delay it as much as you want

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I just bought this, and for me this is so much better than Xcom 2.

That's not hard to achieve xcom 2 is full of problems.

I like the setting and aesthetic here a lot more

What are you talking about? There is no aesthetic here. Literally looks like F2P mobile game.

I meant the general theme of fighting lovecraftian horros beyond the stars, and not the zany but misunderstood aliens theme of firaxis xcom, which ruined the game for me.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
at the end of the day, maybe Gollops choice was a good thing: by ripping off EPIC he got a lot more cash than he would have ever gotten from kickstarter and maybe even more than from steam: even here on the codex not many people buy actually good turn-based games ... and instead throw their money after crap like Battletech, D:OS or X-COM Chimera which are a hundred times worse than nuXCOM or PP.

Yeah, Codexers and gamers in general are like that. Most of them can't appreciate true quality. Not saying that PP is great, but other much worse games have been more succesful, as you pointed out.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Phoenix Point is getting even better!
Dear Backer,

As one of our early backers, you are entitled to the Expansion Pass for Phoenix Point on your platform of choice at no charge. The Expansion Pass contains three awesome DLCs that add tons of content, improvements, and more to Phoenix Point: Year One Edition.

The first DLC included in this Expansion Pass, DLC 3 - Festering Skies, which you can play today! DLCs 4 and 5 are coming later this year. We've worked hard, and continue to work hard, improving and expanding Phoenix Point, and we think these latest additions make the game better than ever. We hope you'll enjoy them.

jac8awol

Arbiter
I really have no idea what they were thinking with their development plan. I was excited for the game while it was in development. I played it on release on Epic, it was all right. Haven't touched it since, will probably give it another go once all the DLCs are finished and included. My excitement levels maintained a constant 'meh' since release and up until now, and I can't imagine that it's very different for all the other game owners like me.

A few people may pick this game up along the way, but the hype is well and truly over. It's like death by a thousand cuts for this product as each month just makes it older, less relevant, and even the regular hardcore gamers on here seemingly aren't playing/talking about the expansions.

At this point I'm thinking it may be smarter to just take the money and run, or start a new project, because by now we've all pretty much given up on Phoenix Point being the game we were expecting/hoping for.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, dev is strange. Knowing how much dev costs in Bulgaria, I would think that the 11m usd they got from Epic is more than enough to cover dev costs + profit. On the other hand, they might still be generating enough sales on the long tail to justify the cheap dev costs and be making money.
Another option is that this game is a labour of love - unfortunately, this doesn't show anywhere, unless the love is rather pathological.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The new aircraft battles are banal shit boring. Don't see much value added by the whole behemoth thing.
They are not banal, you can get easily owned in the air. But main change of air stuff is that your resources are now more stretched out as you need to defend vs this as well. And new Myrmidon enemy is nasty in the evolved forms. It an enemy that if you ignore thinking you can deal with it later it will devastate your squad. Reminds me of UFO's Crysallids. Crysallids one shot your guys, these little fuckers 2 shoot them.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The new aircraft battles are banal shit boring. Don't see much value added by the whole behemoth thing.
They are not banal, you can get easily owned in the air. But main change of air stuff is that your resources are now more stretched out as you need to defend vs this as well. And new Myrmidon enemy is nasty in the evolved forms. It an enemy that if you ignore thinking you can deal with it later it will devastate your squad. Reminds me of UFO's Crysallids. Crysallids one shot your guys, these little fuckers 2 shoot them.
I called it banal because it all just boils to cooldown management. Personally, I hate such thing in a game that was supposed to be turn based.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I really have no idea what they were thinking with their development plan. I was excited for the game while it was in development. I played it on release on Epic, it was all right. Haven't touched it since, will probably give it another go once all the DLCs are finished and included. My excitement levels maintained a constant 'meh' since release and up until now, and I can't imagine that it's very different for all the other game owners like me.

A few people may pick this game up along the way, but the hype is well and truly over. It's like death by a thousand cuts for this product as each month just makes it older, less relevant, and even the regular hardcore gamers on here seemingly aren't playing/talking about the expansions.

At this point I'm thinking it may be smarter to just take the money and run, or start a new project, because by now we've all pretty much given up on Phoenix Point being the game we were expecting/hoping for.
The epic "money in advance" deal probably contains a clause about support and dlc so they just want to throw them out there as slow/low effort as possible just because they have to. The game seems to be doing "average low budget niche slitherine game" when it comes to the number of people that actually bother to play it (courtesy of steamcharts) so the audience for the additional content isn't there, as unsurprising as it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom