Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Bleak Faith: Forsaken - third-person open world survival horror action RPG

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mivukcevic/bleak-faith-forsaken

https://www.bleakfaith.com

A third-person open world survival horror action RPG set in a universe you've never experienced before. Play as one of the Forsaken, the last frontier of humanity against the growing horrors of the Omnistructure. As you find yourself stranded in a faraway outpost, you must adapt in order to survive. The world won't wait for you though, you must venture into the unknown - your faith will decide your fate.

Feel the burden of surviving in one of the last remaining outposts of the Forsaken, a legion of hunters condemned to protect the last vestige of humanity. The nature of your purpose however is shrouded in mystery, and as you delve deeper into the manifold halls of the Omnistructure, you will come to find the true meaning of alienation, isolation, and dread. A cross between cyberpunk, and dark fantasy - Bleak Faith will offer a story and experience that will be a breath of fresh air for all gamers looking for a something new. The world is full of lore, and every aspect of it is crafted with utmost passion and a dedication to art. As a baseline there is an estimated 30+ hours of content, a deep class system, and a procedural AI system that ensures that no playthrough is ever the same.

This seems to be Dark Souls within a Blame! like setting however 30$ for digital copy is too much for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

RaptorRex888

Learned
e939139072b4ed3b38ccad3a2979c327.jpg

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
I like the environments and character designs. Not much else to go on though. I imagine it's pretty early in development.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"breath of fresh air"

Fuck off, it's literally a Souls clone.

What would be a breath of fresh air is a 3rd person RPG that DOESN'T try to shove itself up Dark Souls' ass and walk around in it like a meat suit.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Regardless of whatever this is, it's probably going to sell well.

Pretty impressive trailer for a kickstarter that only raised ~$30k.

Sinatar

Arbiter
A third person open world survival horror?

Couldn't you have just said "It's a dark souls"?

fork

Looks impressive for 2 guys and 30k, but not good enough. UI is soulless 2021 crap, level design looks mostly flat/uninspired/boring, combat looks gimmicky. Another crappy Souls clone, as if we hadn't enough of those already (how about a good one for a change? :/).

user

Savant
Yeah, we probably need a 300$ mil budget game and a 500 man team to get a good game... oh, wait.

So are we calling any 3rd person game with a dystopic theme a "souls-clone" now? And is that supposed to be bad?
Haven't you had enough with rainbow cuddlebears and disney tropes yet, you subservient plebs?
love.png

fork

It's not possible to make a good 3D Souls-like with two people and that budget. It seems it's not possible to develop a good 3D Souls-like, period. Everything released so far, Lords of the Fallen, Surge, Immortal Unchained, Nioh, Hellpoint, Mortal Shell etc.—the list is long—has been utter shit to mediocre at best. Many of them looked promising in teasers, trailers and on screenshots. There's no way this will be different.

I'm sick of all this mediocre manure everyone in the industry from one-man-army to AAA megacorp shits out.

polo

Magister
I must say every time they upload a new gameplay video it looks like it has some improvements. It might end up being quite decent, good even if we have so luck.

fork

It might turn out decent. It's even impressive already considering team size and budget. I doubt it's going to be good though. With two people you should aim somewhat lower ambition-wise, Hollow Knight or Salt&Sanctuary, to name two of the very rare outliers (in the sense that they're great games).

All these Souls-inspired titles lack significantly in at least one, most of the time multiple areas compared to the original. Most obvious is level design: Not a single one of all the Souls-likes I've played comes even close to Dark Souls' level design and layout. But most of them have other flaws, like worse exploration, itemisation, world-building, atmosphere, bosses, encounter design etc. The rift between the original and the copy cats is gigantic. I'm just sick of all those bums coming so extremely short of the "inspiration" (these fucks are not inspired at all, they're just namedropping and chasing the money).

And I'm so angry because that's not the only genre or type of game which is declining further and further. There are so few good games, regardless of genre, when there exist so many great classics to learn from—it's astonishing and extremely depressing. And even games which are otherwise good, honest efforts get tainted by current year shit like politics, design by committee, handholding... or budgets for complete voice over or cinematics or whatever that would be better spent elsewhere etc. etc. It's become a gigantic industry, and there is no ambition left in anyone anymore besides wanting a piece of the cake.

Blah, sorry for the rant, I should go on a vacation or something, lel.

Long story short, I'd be surprised if this game turned out to be worth playing, but you never know, right?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This industry shits out games with massive budgets and huge teams that ultimately disappoint everyone. So maybe two randos and $30k will result in something good. Nobody fucking knows, it's all a gamble at this point.

fork

Unlikely, it's too ambitious for that. Examples for that end of the spectrum could be Hellpoint and Mortal Shell, which both had higher budgets and more poeple working on them (far from being industry giant size though) and turned out to be shit or mediocre at best anyway. And imo you can already clearly see in those trailers that this game is about to share that same fate: mediocre everything. I really don't need another mediocre Souls-clone.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's not possible to make a good 3D Souls-like with two people and that budget. It seems it's not possible to develop a good 3D Souls-like, period. Everything released so far, Lords of the Fallen, Surge, Immortal Unchained, Nioh, Hellpoint, Mortal Shell etc.—the list is long—has been utter shit to mediocre at best. Many of them looked promising in teasers, trailers and on screenshots. There's no way this will be different.

I'm sick of all this mediocre manure everyone in the industry from one-man-army to AAA megacorp shits out.

There is one exception: Salt and Sanctuary. Probably because it's 2D.

fork

Yeah, but as you note that one's not 3D and I even mentioned it in my following post as one of the rare positive examples.

fork

One part of the solution would be for gamers to stop falling for hype and buying all this crap. But since gaming is so mainstream now, there simply are too many addicted retards, even here on the Codex, so I'm afraid there is no solution. All I can do is rant and try to only buy those games I personally think are more than cash-grabs, mediocre re-hashes, overambitious crap or other worthless junk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom