Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

gman42

Scholar
Damn. Yeah my bad, I thought you were stuck inside the square and I didn't even notice that there's no exit from the outside perimeter of it. Almost looks like a bug or an oversight, since they went out of their way to make sure there's an exit from all the other oddball places that aren't really part of the maze proper.

grimer

Learned
The proper solution is to raise a second party until they can teleport at will, get down there and save the first party
id have no need for them once i train a new party to a high enough level for my mage to learn malor. their equipment isnt worth salvaging either, mostly just long swords +1 and plate mails +1. also this was my 3rd party and im getting kinda burnt out on the game to go through the whole ordeal of training a new one. ill come back to it eventually and finish it but i think ill play a diff game in the meantime.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
I am replaying Wizardry6.
I have a priest. He is using 2 weapon: 1 morningstar + 1 war sceptre. I can equip the sceptre, but I see no values in Cosmic Forge for the offhand weapon. No damage, no swings/attacks, no mode (bash).
Has it no use? So I do not have to bother with a second weapon?

UPDATE
Orc Rumble Friday Nights At 8
What does this mean?

Last edited:

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Scallywag = a white Southerner who collaborated with northern Republicans during the post-Civil War reconstruction period.
but how they are placed in this Wiz6 game?

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
I am replaying Wizardry6.
I have a priest. He is using 2 weapon: 1 morningstar + 1 war sceptre. I can equip the sceptre, but I see no values in Cosmic Forge for the offhand weapon. No damage, no swings/attacks, no mode (bash).
Has it no use? So I do not have to bother with a second weapon?

Nevermind. My priest is Level5 now and he has 2 attacks/round. So he can use the offhand weapon too. There are values in Cosmic Forge now.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Scallywag = a white Southerner who collaborated with northern Republicans during the post-Civil War reconstruction period.
but how they are placed in this Wiz6 game?

Scallywag = a person who behaves badly but in an amusingly mischievous rather than harmful way; a rascal.

Although "harmful" is in the eyes of the beholder, and a scallywag is someone who would need to be very careful in this "modern" world...

RatTower

Arcane
Developer

Just saw this. Apparently comes with an editor and five original scenarios, which sounds pretty cool.
There will also be a free DLC with HD versions of the classic llylgamyn sprites.

Finding gameplay material from the original 2006 version is a bit tricky unless you search for the Japanese title "五つの試練".

Edit:
In case you speak any Japanese (I certainly don't) here's the developer's website:
https://wiz-pb.jp/

Besides looking like the quintessential early-2000's website, it also lists the five original campaigns:

・旅人の財産 " Traveler's property "
・満月王の子供達 "Children of the king Selene"
・欠けた大地 "the devoid of apotheosis"
・ガルヴァンの酢漬け男 "the Pickled Man of Galvan " (lmao)
・灼熱の車輪 "the Wheels of Flame "

These guys also seem to be the original developers behind "Prisoners of the Battles", but I'm not sure since Wizardry's licensing agreements are even more labyrinthian than the games.

Either way looks pretty cool.

Last edited:

Adenocaulon

Educated
One question about Wizardry 6 and cosmic forge editor mod.

It is possible to create items and totally customize a party (level, skill level, etc.) with cosmic forge editor?

For example if I want to play Wizardry 6 in SNES, and after finishing it just replicate the party via cosmic forge editor for Wizardry 7 in pc.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

It is possible to create items and totally customize a party (level, skill level, etc.) with cosmic forge editor?

For example if I want to play Wizardry 6 in SNES, and after finishing it just replicate the party via cosmic forge editor for Wizardry 7 in pc.
I'd like to know too. aweigh , do you have any insights?

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

mad god's Tiny Hut

mad god's Tiny Hut, home of the *Cosmic Forge*.

** Save Files Viewer
- allows to see the comprehensive information about your characters and the current World information. Does NOT allow any modification, since it is not a cheat tool.

Humbaba

Arcane
Meaning to do a Wizardry 6-8 playthrough. Do I actually have to engage in all this class switching bullshittery to beat the game? How hard would I handicap myself if I didn't? Can't imagine that anybody minmaxxed to that extent in 1990.

zapotec

Liturgist
I beat 8 without class changing, my party was:
Fighter, Thief
Monk, Ranger
Priest, Wizard

Jason Liang

Arcane
Meaning to do a Wizardry 6-8 playthrough. Do I actually have to engage in all this class switching bullshittery to beat the game? How hard would I handicap myself if I didn't? Can't imagine that anybody minmaxxed to that extent in 1990.
Wizardry 7 is kind of absurdly difficult. Abusively class-switching when you start out is helpful and saves grinding time overall, due to the extra skill points, to-hit bonus, and spell points your characters gain from it. It's the best character progression strategy by far.

Be sure you understand all the mechanics for class changing, particularly how to-hit bonus increases. Also it's helpful to start most or all characters as mages or clerics to maximize spell point regeneration rate, which is set at character creation.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Even Wiz7 doesn't require class changing, but it does make things a lot smoother. The classic Priest/Mage flip-flop is useful in both 6 and 7 to rack up spells. Once you land on Bishop/Samurai/Valkyrie/Lord, you want to stay put.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
class switching sounds much more oppressive than it actually is in practice - the thought of it was what kept me away from wiz 6-7 for the longest time, because i thought it required massive, autistic min-maxing to do right, but in the end it's perfectly reasonable

Jason Liang

Arcane
Besides elf mage/ cleric, my favorite 3 spellbook example would be

Elf Female Mage (start for Mana regen) -> Samurai -> Valkyrie -> Ninja -> Samurai
Mage -> Samurai -> Valkyrie -> Ninja ---> Samurai
5 -------> 12 --------> 10 +2 ---> 12 ------> 12 STR
10 -----> 11 --------> 10 --------> 10 +1 -> 11 INT
10 -----> 10 +1 ---> 11 --------> 10 ------> 10 PIE
7 -------> 9 +2 ----> 11 +1 ---> 12 ------> 9 VIT
9 -------> 12 -------> 10 +2 ---> 12 ------> 12 DEX
9 -------> 14 -------> 11 +1 ---> 12 +2 --> 14 SPD
9 -------> 9 --------> 9 ----------> 9 --------> 9 PER

Easily switching at level 4 or 5, repeatable ad nauseum.

Last edited:

gman42

Scholar
Counterpoint: LVL vs LVL is a huge factor in calculating resistances and punching through enemy's resistances (among other things), and as a result a single-classed party can fare really well compared to a group of characters that have just cycled through the first 5-10 levels a zillion times.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wiz 6 is very doable without class changing.
Unfortunately in Wiz 7 you can no longer freely spend your skill points, so it's very tempting to do class changes just to get enough skill points ASAP to be able to cast higher level spells.
But remember that in all combat calculations the current class level is used, so single class characters will have better saving throws for example.

EDIT: or what the above poster said.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Leveling up to level 5 is between 7,000 to 12,000 xp. Class switching 10 times would put you behind by 120,000 xp, which is less than the amount from level 9 to level 10.

Reality

Learned
Wiz 8, is basically class-switch less, since level no longer resets on class switch

Wiz 6-7, it might sound like effort in the context of how it works in other CRPGs, but actually most of the time you don't even need to babysit or anything - just have one person switched at a time and keep moving forward in your current/latest zone and they'll get within 2-levels of your highest level non-class switched guy in something like 6 battles.

Last time I played Wiz 6 I took
1 Never Reclass Fighter, Valk, Mage
1 Reclass only once (Priest that accidentally got Ninja reqs)
2 Reclass about 4~ times a Priest Mage loop and a Bard into Priest Mage loop

If you don't want to reclass at all play Wizardry 1-3 which can be finished at fairly low level. Wizardry 6 is fairly comfortable for 3/4(Original Castle, Dwarf Mines) but once you get to Pyramid/Underworld and seeing magic casting enemies frequently then it starts to get really annoying not having a ton of extra HP/spellslots on your magic users (physical classes don't feel as neutered)

Wiz 7 scales up to much higher extremes, but even earlygame the slow pace of learning spells kind of makes it hard not to spam reclass on a playthrough -

I had my doubts once, but after seeing a a no-reclass mage and a mage-priest in the same party I'm now 100% on board the idea of the reclass spam SPEEDING UP the playthrough and not being a symptom of wasting time/overgrinding etc

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom