Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
their customer base
rpgcodex.png
despite the crying from a select few most of the site will buy and enjoy the game

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The question is whether we buy, and promote, the next one. D:OS II and BG II (and to some extent 5E) earned this purchase.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Speaking of the BG legacy there’s $10M-$10B+ worth of IP to be had for anyone willing to sit down with 5-10 people who really understand/appreciate the 2-3.5/PF ruleset (a group that includes Soyer and Sven themselves ironically) to come up with an industry standard easy-to-use prebuffing interface along the lines of the Deadfire AI config or Wrath rest menu.

You’d just need a default similar to a spellbook that lets you tweak the specifics in three categories (Hr/lvl, min/lvl, rnd/lvl) depending on situation.

Should quickly become as routine as the Gold Box Fix button. Would transform the genre and remedy Soyer’s most grevious error.

Saravan

Savant
BG3 so mainstream man, they go for the lowest common-denominator. Anyways, here is actually why it's good that Pathfinder gets Cohh to participate in their game.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
BG3 so mainstream man, they go for the lowest common-denominator. Anyways, here is actually why it's good that Pathfinder gets Cohh to participate in their game.

Explain to me why it's not good that they went to Cohh. He has an audience so it's good from an advertising/pr perspective. He liked their old game and even said it was better than PoE2/DOS2 so they know he will receive it positively. He's shown that he can actually learn how to play a game and isn't going to speed run it on easy to throw out a half baked review like the journos will. Cohh isn't the lowest common-denominator in this situation here. It's a good move from a business perspective. He's going to give a more accurate and better worded take than most. Certainly better than journos. I would agree that most streamers would be the lowest common denominator since they all stick to their one game and suck at other games but Cohh mostly plays games like this on the actual difficulty settings all the time.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
mighty of you to assume i'm past the 'begging for a gift' stage of thirdworldia
I told you this before, if you keep the witty jokes coming, and you don't cut it any slack, I'll gift you a copy. No problem.

It just needs to come out already. I don't buy EA shenanigans.
For every hero that takes a stand by not purchasing clear decline, there's a fool who buys multiple copies...

Saravan

Savant

Explain to me why it's not good that they went to Cohh. He has an audience so it's good from an advertising/pr perspective. He liked their old game and even said it was better than PoE2/DOS2 so they know he will receive it positively. He's shown that he can actually learn how to play a game and isn't going to speed run it on easy to throw out a half baked review like the journos will. Cohh isn't the lowest common-denominator in this situation here. It's a good move from a business perspective. He's going to give a more accurate and better worded take than most. Certainly better than journos. I would agree that most streamers would be the lowest common denominator since they all stick to their one game and suck at other games but Cohh mostly plays games like this on the actual difficulty settings all the time.

BG3 so lame man, just look at those character designs. Anyways, here is why kitsune is actually a good thing for Pathfinder.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
BG3 so lame man, just look at those character designs. Anyways, here is why kitsune is actually a good thing for Pathfinder.

I've shat on the kitsune plenty(Except for one or two jokes when the pole was still up). I've even said I'm going to kill her on sight. If you want to talk shit about something I think, at least know what I think. Keep obsessing over me though... I don't have enough orbiters already.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Speaking of the BG legacy there’s $10M-$10B+ worth of IP to be had for anyone willing to sit down with 5-10 people who really understand/appreciate the 2-3.5/PF ruleset (a group that includes Soyer and Sven themselves ironically) to come up with an industry standard easy-to-use prebuffing interface along the lines of the Deadfire AI config or Wrath rest menu.

You’d just need a default similar to a spellbook that lets you tweak the specifics in three categories (Hr/lvl, min/lvl, rnd/lvl) depending on situation.

Should quickly become as routine as the Gold Box Fix button. Would transform the genre and remedy Soyer’s most grevious error.
I'm sure you realize this just removes the need to think about prebuffing. Just remove prebuffing entirely and the result will be the same with one less click to boot.

Mortmal

Arcane
The question is whether we buy, and promote, the next one. D:OS II and BG II (and to some extent 5E) earned this purchase.
As if theres so many releases we can afford to be picky. There's WOTR coming which offer much more theory crafting then you get BG3 . After that nothing at all announced .So of course everyone will rush the next one if its half decent . Even if it's released in an unplayable state with ton of bugs the next big title coming will sell.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I really don't know why I keep reading these utter mongoloids, honestly.
Every time I say out of boredom "Let's say what people are talking about there" I end up getting annoyed by some disingenuous fanboy.
BG3 is such a vibrant game, though. Why didn't Solasta's team make a game as graphically incredible as Larian?

I really don't know why I keep reading these utter mongoloids, honestly.
Every time I say out of boredom "Let's say what people are talking about there" I end up getting annoyed by some disingenuous fanboy.
BG3 is such a vibrant game, though. Why didn't Solasta's team make a game as graphically incredible as Larian?
Wouldn't that be neat?

Jokes aside I'm actually playing Solasta as well. I'm enjoying the flow of the combat there more than I expected, frankly.
In some ways even more than playing my pirated version of the WotR beta (sorry, already bought the game but I'm not paying fucking 80 extra bucks to enter the beta for a couple of months).

Delterius

Arcane
mighty of you to assume i'm past the 'begging for a gift' stage of thirdworldia
I told you this before, if you keep the witty jokes coming, and you don't cut it any slack, I'll gift you a copy. No problem.

It just needs to come out already. I don't buy EA shenanigans.
For every hero that takes a stand by not purchasing clear decline, there's a fool who buys multiple copies...
that means a single fool can invalidate the entire host of heroes

rip imoen lover's valhalla

Shrimp

Arbiter
It's honestly astonishing how often I see some 'people' compare BG3 to Solasta and talk about how the former has a better production value which apparently absolves it of any and all criticism.
No fucking shit dude, one's basically a AAA game while the other's a crowdfunded indie game.

I fucking wish BG3 could have a functional reaction system like Solasta does, but since the characters in Solasta look like horseshit (they do) this apparently also means that nothing from that game should be ported to other games. God I hate Reddit

It's honestly astonishing how often I see some 'people' compare BG3 to Solasta and talk about how the former has a better production value which apparently absolves it of any and all criticism.
No fucking shit dude, one's basically a AAA game while the other's a crowdfunded indie game.
I don't think I'm even exaggerating by guessing that the overall budget of BG3 must be around 30-to-50X or so the one of Solasta.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
300+ employees vs 25 employees. But at least BG3 has vibrancy.

Good news everybody! larian opened another studio in Barcelona 2 days ago! Do you think with the extra help on top of their measly 300+ employees they'll be able to implement verticality like Solasta? Their new Barcelona studio probably has more people in it than all of Solasta.

Vibrancy!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
BG3 already features verticality without having to tout that as a core design pillar or whatever.

BG3 already features verticality without having to tout that as a core design pillar or whatever.
Well, maybe, but meanwhile in BG3 "flying creatures" are all hovering few centimeters above the ground and can ALL be hit in melee. Their "flying" trait translates just in their ability to do even bigger jumps.
In Solasta they can actually fly at several different heights and needs to be reached or shot down somehow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom