Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOSBOXenstein's monster

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I started working on this menu system for DOSBOX in 2014 cuz I felt like all the DOSBOX frontends sucked, and I wanted an efficient, easy to use, and portable DOSBOX that could be put on a USB and plugged into either my Windows or Linux system without hassle. I worked on it sporadically over the years, but being grounded by the government gave me plenty of time to finish it up.

The menu works by calling a system of batch files. So there are sub menus, and sub sub menus, and any program that is run will return you to the sub menu from which it was run. You can then navigate and run a different program. It's pretty intuitive, I think. The project split into 4 different projects, because I'm fucking mental, apparently. I can't have my peas touching my mashed potatoes and I can't have my Command & Conquers touching my Dooms, not without headslapping, thumbsucking anxiety. At one point there was a whole other menu that let you do shit like change the scalers, but I removed it because pixel-smoothing scalers on a DOS game is just an unacceptable level of faggotry. You have to take your pixels like a man, goddammit!

I consider this project and my time investment in it to have been one part educational exercise, nine parts Autism. I don't see why a clever programmer couldn't use it as a template to automate personalized Dosbox menus. Maybe something like that already exists? - teh fuck I know.

The 3D / FPS menu system:

H7D9wyj.png

Hexen 2 in DOS, just as God intended:

XibHbdz.png

I can never remember these:

UCkeRsy.png

DOS prompt, where all the heavy lifting takes place:

Q4ouTSe.png

Bruh:

aUbglOs.png

RPG menu system:

B0KSoSZ.png

Dungeons & Dragons? Never heard of it:

UFNOv6e.png

Gil Gerard's Buck Rogers was the hero we deserved:

Of16iyX.png

Heftier RAM reqs, and because you can't change memsize on the fly in DOSBOX, these are in a diff setup:

QVTfV45.png

Strategy menu system:

ErZB9Pt.png

Archers!!!:

9RohzlN.png

Oregon Trail - you will die of dysentery and like it!

UbkiAqN.png

What a typical menu batch looks like:

M3e1O9v.png

What a typical game batch looks like - cycles set, image mounted, program run, then image unmounted and a return to the batch that called it:

00eKJpV.png

GUS sounds great for the games that properly support it, but will literally break everything else. So, it's turned on and off on the fly:

5CmlFhJ.png

When I think of all the time I spent on this:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
GOG has become useless because they shoved all the indie shovelware garbage along side the older games and you can't tell wtf is which and you have to start sorting games by date which i'm too lazy to do. Haven't logged in the site once ever since they did that.

El Presidente

Arcane
GOG has become useless because they shoved all the indie shovelware garbage along side the older games and you can't tell wtf is which and you have to start sorting games by date which i'm too lazy to do. Haven't logged in the site once ever since they did that.
Yeah that's really annoying, I wish they could add some "oldie" tag to every older game. Makes no sense to me why they still didn't do just that. I'd browse exclusively through that tag and never look back, as I use GOG for old games only anyway.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Your menu system reminds me of old Dos Demo disks.
That said I mean why not use Quickmenu III? Later dos demo disks started shipping with Quickmenu as they started to phase out Dos entirely in favour of Win 95.
That said also I do have a strong appreciation for anything Batch. I used to overwrite the autoexec.bat on my school computers and forced the staff/kids to play a dungeon crawler in order to start the computer up lol. Those were fun times. I wish I kept the code.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Your menu system reminds me of old Dos Demo disks.
That said I mean why not use Quickmenu III? Later dos demo disks started shipping with Quickmenu as they started to phase out Dos entirely in favour of Win 95.
That said also I do have a strong appreciation for anything Batch. I used to overwrite the autoexec.bat on my school computers and forced the staff/kids to play a dungeon crawler in order to start the computer up lol. Those were fun times. I wish I kept the code.

Why not use Quikmenu III? Well, for one, it can be buggy and just stop working for no reason, and it doesn't work well with everything you might want to run. For instance, Daggerfall crashes when trying to load it from within Quikmenu. For some reason, it prevents the loading of patches for Gravis Ultrasound and the program fails to launch. Maybe there's a work around, but in any case, I'm not convinced a mouse-driven UI is going to be faster than navigating with the number keys.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Great. Thinking on release dates, I have to go back and add that to each game folder to organize (I simply went alphabetical ... derp).

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I had some time recently and made some updates to the project: menu improvements, additions, documentation, rigorously tuned the cycles for each entry. I'm officially done. Anyone who wants to check them out and has sufficient cloud storage space can PM me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom