Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Larianshill

Arbiter
I don't know how I feel about Arwin. I was immediately predisposed to dislike him, because I knew exactly what the devs were going for with him. But by the end, he kind of grew on me. Not entirely, mind you.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
This game is hard to get into.

Edit: I just spent 20 minutes trying to kill one last lizard who was stuck to a wall. He wouldn't come down, so I was reduced to trying to hit him with ranged attacks. . . which kept missing. Seriously, missed like 10 in a row. Completely ridiculous. He was illuminated, ranger had dark-vision, and so on. Super fucking tedious.

Arcana is useful for detecting spells hurled at you, so you know whether to waste a counterspell slot or not.
That's a good point. Hadn't considered it since I haven't had counterspell memorized so all those arcane checks just happen in the background with no pause.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Loremaster is really good for "being prepared for anything". Between crafting scrolls & potions, and having pretty much every spell available to you, it's a good Wizard class for your first run through the game. Assuming you play blind.

After that, I can see going anything but a Loremaster, since you know what's coming.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Solasta finally takes a stance on one of the most controversial issues of modern RPGs:

Cheese!

sols.png
- Choosing loremaster as a wizard kit was a very bad choice. All I get from it is a little of mediocre lore and a small xp bonus :)
Going to chime in and say I agree with that, now. I wasn't feeling too bad about taking loremaster early on since having advantage on lore checks and arcane checks and shit is a fun little bonus, but I think it's only been used once in the entire game and that was at that lesser gate way back when you very first meet the soraks. HOPEFULLY will have some more checks later, but as of right now there's been one, maybe two checks in the 30 hours I've played which is presumably more than half of the game given I'm nearing level 8. That's a definite disappointment, don't mind Solasta being a combatfag game but it would've been nice to have a large scattering of little skill checks for small goodies like that gate giving you a tablet you can hock back in town..
Yeah, and the fact that Shock Arcanist is the most broken subclass they could ever come up with doesn't help either. It really sounds like a crazy homebrew designed by two drunk players:

"You know what would be cool? A wizard who casts spells too powerful for his level! Like you're supposed to only have level 1 spells, but you actually cast level 2 spells!"

"Yeah, that does sound cool! And what should the drawback be?"

"I know! After a while, all your spells also deal more damage!"

"Wait, that doesn't sound..."

"And then you also gain proficiency in Constitution saving throws, so you will never lose Concentration again!"

"Sure man, whatever you say."

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wouldn't that just make Evocation stronger?

It would make EVERYTHING stronger. Black tentacles? Summoned elementals? Mirror image? Everything stronger. AC will become more valuable too. And rolling low for initiative could be deadly.

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Completed Solasta, my four manlets did a wastly better job at holding the line compared to that paladin in the flashback.
I went straight for the final quest almost immediately because i honestly was starting to lose my interest a bit after hitting the level 10, felt like my party was more or less complete in terms of equipment and i didn't want to waste any time on sidequests in the hopes that they will give me enough reputation to get a +2 int tome for my wizard.
Plot became slighly more interesting during the final parts compared to how it was during the rest of the game.

Overall, my opinion didn't change. The game is good but could be better, it desperately needs more classes/enemies/spells.
I don't think i would want to replay the main campaign even when they add sorcerer, i am curious however about those dungeon maker maps NJClaw mentioned.

Skeletons don't have immunity or resistance against piercing damage. Is this some kind of joke? This edition seems worse and worse with each new piece of information I learn about it.
They're vulnerable to bludgeoning damage, which basically simulates the same thing as resistance to piercing/slashing.

Technically true, but in reality it makes skellys blend in with other low level enemies. Immunities are something player has to react to, that demands that the player changes approach. Vulnerabilities is something you may notice or not. Immunities make the cast of enemies more diverse and colorful.

At least medium level skeleton enemies does have a 50% resistance to piercing and slashing.

Thac0

Icewind Dale, (9 to 11): Gender, Race, Alignment, Class, Stats, Sound set, Portrait, Name, Weapon Proficiency, +1 choice if multi-class or dual class, +1 choice if your character has Thief skills
Solasta (15): Gender, Race, Subrace, Background, Personality Flags, Alignment, Languages, Class, Archetype, Background, Skills, Sound set, Name, Ability Score or Feat x2

Whether you're talking combination or permutation, Solasta wins for character building. Also, since two of those choices can be a feat--which are a big deal in 5E, the choices are even more significant.

Loremaster actually seems really cool. The Shock Arcanist definitely has a very powerful early ability, but I'm really liking that Loremaster ability that gives you spells memorization equal to your proficiency bonus. That's the difference between being prepared or not, which is classically the wizard's weak point. Learning 4 extra spells isn't too shabby either, particularly since they are coming in at the highest levels.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Loremaster is really good for "being prepared for anything".

Yeah, I run a loremaster for this reason exactly.
And I also get some nice extra lore exposure, like that one time in Fortress of the Shield.

Rogue: What is that?
Loremaster [Int (Arcana) Success]: This is magic far beyond our understanding!

Makes me wonder what info I would have gotten on failed check.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Loremaster actually seems really cool. The Shock Arcanist definitely has a very powerful early ability, but I'm really liking that Loremaster ability that gives you spells memorization equal to your proficiency bonus. That's the difference between being prepared or not, which is classically the wizard's weak point. Learning 4 extra spells isn't too shabby either, particularly since they are coming in at the highest levels.
When the Loremaster gives you more spells, the Shock Arcanist makes you proficient in Constitution saving throws. Maybe having more spells could be useful in PnP, where you can suffer from not being prepared due to the existence of non-combat very situational ones, but Solasta has too few spells to make it matters. I never found myself thinking "shoot, what a pity I couldn't prepare more spells", but anyone who has ever rolled a Constitution saving throw has dreamed about being proficient in it (sure, there's the feat, but unless you cheat your ability scores like fanta, you need those increments to boost your Intelligence). But the game is fairly easy, so there's no reason not to use less powerful options.

post Roguey's review you cowards, Kalin asked Saint_Proverbius but was shrugged off.
Please, leave this topic to those who actually want to discuss the game. You repressed cucks already have the other one to talk about your problems.

Harthwain

Magister
Maybe having more spells could be useful in PnP, where you can suffer from not being prepared due to the existence of non-combat very situational ones, but Solasta has too few spells to make it matters. I never found myself thinking "shoot, what a pity I couldn't prepare more spells" [...]
I like the concept. The rest is the matter of execution. Consider facing randomized encounters. Or dungeons. And I don't mean procedurally generated ones - I mean hand-made stuff that gets rolled from a pool. Of course, it would require a decent selection and it means extra work, but I think it can't hurt and it increases replayability as well (because you won't be able to memorize the encounters after your first run, and it's nice to have more enemy variety). The only real problem I can see is that quest has to be somewhat oblique, but I don't think that's a big problem from dungeon-delving perspective.

and 8 others

Savant
Fucking hell, another quest involving Arwin with a cool sword and shit payment. You get the lowlife quest with a +2 longsword super early on, and then there's a quest to bring him a longswird that also does a die of electrical damage. At some point I should stop giving that fucker all these amazing weapons and just keep them for my fighter.

- Choosing loremaster as a wizard kit was a very bad choice. All I get from it is a little of mediocre lore and a small xp bonus :)
Going to chime in and say I agree with that, now. I wasn't feeling too bad about taking loremaster early on since having advantage on lore checks and arcane checks and shit is a fun little bonus, but I think it's only been used once in the entire game and that was at that lesser gate way back when you very first meet the soraks. HOPEFULLY will have some more checks later, but as of right now there's been one, maybe two checks in the 30 hours I've played which is presumably more than half of the game given I'm nearing level 8. That's a definite disappointment, don't mind Solasta being a combatfag game but it would've been nice to have a large scattering of little skill checks for small goodies like that gate giving you a tablet you can hock back in town.
Anyway, guys, how I can control the fly in the game? I completed the game and have no clue about how to control the fly. IS not like Menzoberranzan where you control the fly altitude with a slider, nor like M&M VI~VIII where it is PGUP/PGDN keys
Hold shift, scroll your mousewheel (All of this while holding down shift), then look at your compass in the lower right. There'll be arrows going up and/or down near the center of it now, go there and click those to change Z levels. I assume it's a bug or a glitch that isn't letting shift-mousewheel do it but at least it makes those buttons appear and then you can manually adjust where you fly. Few things to note, that also works for point-targeted AoE spells (Chuck a fireball and blow it up in the air so the sphere AoE gives you finer control) and it's INCREDIBLY easy to misclick when you're flying and send your dude moving back to the ground. I was fighting a vampire like 5-6 levels high, misclicked, then my dude flew down and gave the vampire AOO. Fortunately fly gives you so much movement speed I was able to fly back up and smack him silly.

Edit: Unrelated to anything but BREHS. Remember you can force-attack pillars and shit. There were a few little patches of optional hidden loot that can only be reached by blasting out pillars, can't get around it with teleport/fly/spiderwalk/etc. Makes me think I may have missed some shit earlier on since I had forgotten about that, and I know there were a few locations that probably would've been easier if I knocked pillars over with a ranged attack rather than worming my rogue or fighter over with athletics.

After seeing the paltry reward for the lowlife quest, and the dearth of magical items, I decided to keep the +2 sword instead. It's been wonderful on my fighter.

Anonona

Learned
Speaking of magical weapons. Did anyone find a Primed Longsword? I have finished the game and hadn't found a single one. I guess I was unlucky with the random loot or something, but it seemed to me that the longsword had more interesting or unique recipes than other weapon types and I couldn't even craft a single one of them.

Geckabor

Savant
Finished the game. The last few "trash mob" fights at the end felt quite unnecessary, and I also skipped a few of the last sidequests since I already reached level 10. All in all, I think the game's pretty good. I wish there were some more roleplaying opportunities, though, including more useful skill checks for optional content/rewards. They implemented all the skills, just no real use for a lot of them.

I also tried the dungeon maker map that Tactical Adventures provided with a "darkvision stealth team" (warrior, ranger, rogue, green wizard: all investing into dex) and that was honestly a lot of fun. I think the dungeon maker has a lot of potential to create great combat encounters, but well also here I'm hoping for the aforementioned extensions of more roleplaying, etc.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thac0

Icewind Dale, (9 to 11): Gender, Race, Alignment, Class, Stats, Sound set, Portrait, Name, Weapon Proficiency, +1 choice if multi-class or dual class, +1 choice if your character has Thief skills
Solasta (15): Gender, Race, Subrace, Background, Personality Flags, Alignment, Languages, Class, Archetype, Background, Skills, Sound set, Name, Ability Score or Feat x2

Whether you're talking combination or permutation, Solasta wins for character building. Also, since two of those choices can be a feat--which are a big deal in 5E, the choices are even more significant.

Don't forget that Solasta gives you the option to choose your pronoun independently off your gender! Icewind Dale does not! That is even one character building option more that Icewind Dale does not have, truly Solasta has the deeper character building despite having only half the classes.
:nocountryforshitposters:

jackofshadows

Magister
and then there's a quest to bring him a longswird that also does a die of electrical damage. At some point I should stop giving that fucker all these amazing weapons and just keep them for my fighter.
That's what I did and now, after crafting obviously broken greataxe of sharpness I've decided to turn in that quest, especially since that fucker was blocking me from Arcaneum with his cut-scene. So, reward for magnificient +2/1-10 ed longsword turned out to be 200 gold (or was that 50? weirdly showed 4 times in the log) and 0 xp. I'm starting to adopt NJClaw views on French tbqh.
Speaking of magical weapons. Did anyone find a Primed Longsword? I have finished the game and hadn't found a single one. I guess I was unlucky with the random loot or something, but it seemed to me that the longsword had more interesting or unique recipes than other weapon types and I couldn't even craft a single one of them.
I'm before entering lava forest and hadn't found one either. Moreover, Arcaneum for some reason doesn't offer it as well so unless I'll get lucky somewhere ahead I'll end up without that cool warden sword.

V_K

Arcane
I've found a primed longsword - I don't remember where, but definitely before the Fortress of the Shield.
So, reward for magnificient +2/1-10 ed longsword turned out to be 200 gold (or was that 50? weirdly showed 4 times in the log) and 0 xp
The interesting bit is that Arwin and his sword (and the Copparan woman's request) feature in a couple of late-game quests, both main and side. I wonder how they play out if you never give the sword to him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom