Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Legend of Sword and Fairy aka Chinese Paladin

zyzzle

Barely Literate
I have also registered because I wish to run a DOS version of the game with English translation patch applied. I believe that my only option is to run SDLPal in an unofficial DOS .exe verison. I can not find this unofficial DOS version of SDLPal. There is an "Unofficial" .exe of PAL in the first post, but it is a native Windows binary EXE file, not an MS-DOS executible. Further, I am confused again by this previous post

"Patching DOS uses same instructions as the WIN version.
The only additional requirement for DOS is that SDL International fork exe (aka Official/Unofficial exe) MUST be used, not Whistler's DOS SDLPal exe."

So, apparently, there is, or was a native DOS SDLPal.exe by someone named Whistler, but it is also not compatible with English translation files.

Is there a link to this mythical SDL International fork exe (aka Official/Unofficial exe) compiled as a native DOS .exe?

Was there ever a DOS version of the SDL re-implementation of the game? I'd love to run it. I don't do Windows, Android, Unix, Linux, just as our new user megatron-uk above has also posted. I think there's still demand for a vanilla DOS version of PAL among the international community.

Thanks for any help, pointers, or links to DOS binaries!

Nostaljaded

Savant
IIRC Whistler's SDLPal is a predecessor of the current SDLPal branch. Back then, SDLPal International was forked for Unicode support and (that feature was) merged back to the current/main SDLPal branch.
So in short, Whistler's is an older version/code of the current main SDLPal branch.

Understand your confusion (probably) comes from the following lines in Readme.txt:
1. Overwrite the extracted files for your GAME VERSION into the game directory.
2. [For Microsoft Windows platform], copy the included win32 'sdlpal.exe' version into the game directory...
- For latest updates and other platforms, download @ official SDLPal page: https://github.com/sdlpal/sdlpal with the 'Download' button @ README.md section...

Both PalDOS & PalWin (Pal95/Pal98) runs with the same SDLPal file.
But there are differences in their game files, hence 'dos_files' & 'win_files' are provided in the ENG translation patch.
Depending on what platform one wants to play (their DOS/WIN game version) on, one have to download that platform's SDLPal file.

Below is the list of platforms officially supported by SDLPal (their nightly builds have recently been migrated to Cloudsmith):
veQODGy.png

The recent Steam release includes both PalDOS & PalWIN version.
From the Steam forums, seems like just need a few more modifications to run with ENG translation patch.

Lunamos

Novice
I came from China and I'm here to say thank you very much to Nostaljaded for your work in translation (also thanks to the original translation done by PalFans). I made a brief video review of the original Legend of Sword and Fairy based on your English translation version from a Chinese perspective. Anyone interested can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAKT4odR1qc

Nostaljaded

Savant
Gee, thanks for posting your video review.
I would say it's fairly balanced in covering many aspects of the game to appeal to JRPG fans.

As a one-off gratitude, listing down some games you have covered on your Chinese Youtube channel
Terranigma
I have no Mouth, and I must Scream
Valkyrie Profile
SMT1 & SMT2
Vagrant Story
Skies of Arcadia
PST
Live A Live
Arcanum
Ogre Battle & Tactics Ogre
The Legend of Heroes - Gagharv Series
BG1

Many will envy for residing in Japan, being trilingual and able to play most games in their native languages. :obviously:

P.S. Lunamos, do you know of any Jap websites that do articles and coverage on Jap indie/doujin games?
Famitsu is very much lacking in this area.

Oh, and Chinese websites for Chinese indie games as well. :)

Lunamos

Novice
Nostaljaded Thanks for the reply! I'm surprised that you also checked my Chinese channel. Many of these beloved RPGs are relatively unknown in China so I feel like to introduce them to more people.

Yes, Japanese indie/doujin games are not discussed often on big sites like Famitsu. Maybe some smaller sites and personal blogs, for example:
Also, you can check Freem! for their comment section:
Some will write longer comments that are helpful.

For 18x games I think you may know the famous エロゲー批評空間 (the critic space for ero game):
In China, many indie games are actually not so "indie" so lots of media will also cover them (like gcores.com, vgtime.com, etc. even IGN China). Indienova is a cite that cover only the indie games:
It's also a community for developers.
You can also see lots of video reviews covering "indie" games in China from Bilibili.com (basically a Chinese version of YouTube)

Lunamos

Novice
Hi Rean, I haven't finished my Sword and Fairy 7 playthrough yet so there's not much for me to tell, but it is safe to say it's a better industrial product than Xuan Yuan Sword 7 based on my 8-hour experience. The character modeling and rendering of Xuan Yuan 7 is just weird and I think it's the main reason that it's rated only 6-7 scores in most Chinese communities (vgtime, nga, etc.)

Lots of people are not satisfied with the state of the Xuan Yuan series as they are just too different from the highly praised older titles like II/Dance of the Maple Leaves/III/Scar of Sky etc. But I kinda like Xuan Yuan 7 as it's a complete and decent story told in a good pace.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Is there a simplied Chinese version of 俠客英雄傳 for DOS?

In general, is there any online repository of old China games?

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Hi Rean, I haven't finished my Sword and Fairy 7 playthrough yet so there's not much for me to tell, but it is safe to say it's a better industrial product than Xuan Yuan Sword 7 based on my 8-hour experience. The character modeling and rendering of Xuan Yuan 7 is just weird and I think it's the main reason that it's rated only 6-7 scores in most Chinese communities (vgtime, nga, etc.)

Lots of people are not satisfied with the state of the Xuan Yuan series as they are just too different from the highly praised older titles like II/Dance of the Maple Leaves/III/Scar of Sky etc. But I kinda like Xuan Yuan 7 as it's a complete and decent story told in a good pace.

Yeah, I haven't played Sword and Fairy 7 but I'll be checking it out soon. From the trailers it looks more on-point than Xuan Yuan 7, which I have about 5 hours in. I really want to like Xuan Yuan, but it in general feels quite barebones. I think the English translation took a lot of the soul out of the game, too.

Lunamos

Novice
Is there a simplied Chinese version of 俠客英雄傳 for DOS?

In general, is there any online repository of old China games?

I think there is a simplified Chinese version of the most famous 俠客英雄傳3, but I didn't remember a simplified version of the original 俠客英雄傳 (and there's no 2 by the way). Most early DOS games from Taiwan don't have a simplified Chinese version. It's interesting that during the late 90s games with a traditional Chinese version can be allowed to released in the Chinese mainland without localization (to simplified Chinese). People can read both of them anyway.

To play old DOS games, there is a neat website providing online Chinese dos games to play and also download, you can check and see if the game you want is there:
https://dos.zczc.cz/games/
There's no GOG in China so no way to buy these games. Some of them are on steam or Cubjoy now but only the most famous titles like Sword and Fairy, Xuan Yuan Sword, etc.

For games on Windows, Tieba (it's like a Chinese Reddit, with some subs focus on retro gaming) is a good place to find them. People in each game's sub may post the resource of the game and modded them to be able to run on Windows 10.

Nostaljaded

Savant
... I'm surprised that you also checked my Chinese channel. Many of these beloved RPGs are relatively unknown in China so I feel like to introduce them to more people...
Because your English channel currently only has 1 video. :)
I say you ain't bad in achieving your intended goals by publishing only 20+ Youtube videos to garner 20k+ subscribers.

Many thanks for the numerous Jap & Chinese weblinks.

Is there any overseas free cloud storage file sharing platform that's accessible in China (not blocked and able to register)?
Baidupan is actively censoring and taking down links (of course to abide to China regulations), thereby causing difficulty to get game resources (especially older ones).
Or those game resources are need-to-register-forum-&-post-a-reply-walled, it's cumbersome to register in so many different forums and still run the risk of the finally-visible-download-links may have already been taken down.

Would like to recommend (if there's one) to China fan groups for their releases.
Just to name a few common ones outside of China (Google Drive, Mega, Mediafire) but very likely they are all blocked; OneDrive are monitored by Microsoft so would avoid as well if possible.

Lunamos

Novice
Is there any overseas free cloud storage file sharing platform that's accessible in China (not blocked and able to register)?

I think there's no famous cloud storage service overseas that's totally not blocked. I'm not sure though as not living in China right now will lower the sensitivity to what services are able to use and what is not.

In China, 90% of (old) game resources are still being spread using Baidupan. Even piracy sites like 3DM (with the register-post wall you mentioned) are using Baidupan, along with some dead torrents. Officials are censoring and taking down resources but newer Baidupan links keep emerging, they are updated frequently by fans. You may have to find them carefully in the replies of the resource thread. Some people are selling Baidupan sharing on Taobao, and those people's resources will live longer as they are not public. If your release is limited to a small group of people, the risk is also low.

Most of the time a resource is taken down because too many people are reporting them. So when you release your resource on Baidupan and tell people about it, you can do two extra steps to lower the risk of being taken down: 1. Post your link as an image, not plain text. When people report links to official (that it's illegal), they have to access the resource then press "report", or copy/paste it to other websites. But many will not bother to report an image link because they have to type the long and weird hash string stuff manually. Though downloading will also be harder but it's often worth it. and 2. Make a link chain: you can put only the text file containing the actual link in your public link sharing, and people will follow this actual link to access your resources.

And finally, Github is not blocked and some are using it as CDN or cloud storage of some kind. But I'm not sure if these usages are forbidden or not encouraged by Github itself.

SunZhuge

Barely Literate
Is there any guide for Sword and Fairy 1? I haven't been able to find anything so far.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Just finished this yesterday, overall its a quite nice game with good spriteworks and decent to good music. Combat is just ok, nothing special really and its quite easy but tbh until like 3/5 of the whole game it works and its satisfying. Leveling up to see how new skills will look in combat, exploring for new items and to see new monster designs is quite exciting.
Really the monster variety was for me quite astounding, almost no recolors besides mainly some elemental stuff like water frog, fire frog etc... but even then its a minority, when in late game i found myself in White Miao capital i thought that this is the moment where enemy variety drops but no, after entering certain demon infested tunnels, with every new level you encounter fresh new enemies and the deeper you go, the more new stuff you encounter. Sadly for me, by that moment i was getting really tired of those long ass labyrinthian levels made from like two tiles wide paths (last enjoyment i had from gameplay was either in that phoenix forest or even earlier in that gigantic demon tower dungeon) and every combat encounter mostly meant nuking enemy with the same aoe skills at best for 1 full round, at worst for like 3-4 rounds.

Graphics for me are one of the best parts of this game, sprites are charming and decently animated, maps are mostly colorful and insteresting (except of those fucking cave labyrinths, they all look almost the same and are boring), like i said earlier monster designs are numerous and interesting, all of them have attack animations (for me the best is that old geezer with guitar from demon tower who has this hilarious guitar riff attack), some of them have standing animations (my favourites are that bald fatman using drum sticks on his giant belly and those enemies that look like dancing piggybacking grandpas, also from demon tower). Another good thing about them is consistency between exploration and battle graphics, sprite scale is preserved both in and out of combat with combat sprites having also some additional detail (though certain enemies have weird scaling compared to map sprite), this works well with absence of random encounters (enemy groups on map are represented by various moving sprites, some are quite ridiculous, like who had this idea that giant dragon should be represented by some bat on the map).
What i like the most about this game graphics are those little details that make everything better, for example certain skills permamently leave marks on battle terrain, certain NPC wants you to take plate of food and deliver it to inn client and you have sprite animation only for that moment that shows our character taking this plate and walking with it or some NPC is drinking something and there is animation for that, in some jrpg of that era you would probably have all of that inside of text message. Of course such detailed spritework is not everpresent and probably appeared much often in games of that era that i know (or remember) but its enough of it for me to notice and appreciate.

Music was not as memorable for me though, its not bad, there are good tracks but nothing that would be stuck in my head for days, well besides one battle theme (...yeah its from some level of demon tower) and i have certain problem with it. I found it inside files (track 042.mid or 043.mid, i used version from here https://chinesepaladin.org/download...ord-and-fairychinese-paladin-game-in-english/ since i was too lazy to learn how to build windows version from that gimp fork) but i swear that it sounded different in game than when opening music files in media player apps, though im not sure if this game uses only one track variation per battle and loops it or if it just juggles between few variations during encounter.

Story was enjoyable, maybe nothing that i will remember fondly for years but it still focused my attention and i wanted to see what will happen next. Beginning was ok but my favourite part was the time between... lets call it a prologue, when we arrive in first city and de... you know what tower, maybe its just a simple tale of the road but i really enjoyed seeing different cities and villages with their own story arcs. Sadly there is no optional location, the game is completly linear(though i read that WinXP remake has some alternative endings but i think that version is not translated), the only maybe optional thing that i found was that purple gourd we get after returning bag of antiques to certain wife during our travel, apparently you could make medicine with this but i was too lazy to bother, my healing needs were satisfied by hp and mp replenishes after each won battle (not full but like 1/3 or 2/3 maybe) and by loot found during exploration for those hp and mp sponge bosses.
It felt for me that during the late game devs were either lacking in time or ideas what to do next... 36 FUCKING PUPPET BUGS, i was lucky that i had almost half of those from loot found from whole game before that moment but still, who tf thought that this was a good idea? This is also the time when i feel like everything started to go slightly too fast, there should be breathing moment between returning from that fucking fedex quest and attack on White Miao capital. Last boss was the only somewhat challenging boss combining both hp bloat and being a somewhat high damage dealer but i just unleashed all of my stored wine god attacks and i had tons of money for that coin toss II skill since i tought that this was the best moment to use those, I expected second boss phase but no it was it. Ending felt somewhat conclusive if slightly sad and then i saw Yueru with Xiaoyao daughter and i thought to myself "Hey how its possible but she was... (in that moment i reminded myself puppet bug description) 36 FUCKING PUPPET BUGS!!! Xiaoyao my dude, its not going to be healthy for you, not for her and certainly not for your dong!!!"

There were only like two bugs that i found, in some areas water was invisible and it looked like dried up areas from White Miao capital even though boats were swimming on this invisible water and few times certain enemy encounters were cloned (like if some devs stuffed by accident two clone enemy sprites on the same tile) but besides that game is stable and no crashes.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I played the Saturn version which is identical to the DOS version except for the portraits which I like much better than those of the remake.

The Wapanese should really have ported the second game as well as it is a direct sequel (the daughter of the main couple of the first game is one of the main characters). Falcom could maybe have done it but at least they ported Rhapsody of Zephyr (even though they fukked up the character design).

2VKZdIr.png

yNFuvIj.png

LBkcQ9O.png

totizdH.png

stwF9VJ.png

SdYEbPz.png

KbaeBS2.png

y9x12bV.png

eZIjiqA.png

G4e3Yzr.png

euC4W6A.png

0DfXnQJ.png

1PmomKm.png

KJSRBiA.png

EpVffUo.png

qhdoSJK.png

7N1YWEd.png

1PIQCq0.png

A9l8klm.png

9BIR3ng.png

4gUIrBa.png

8Mtlby9.png

aVbC4sx.png

YMRShbA.png

r1udMNf.png

rZn1Ea1.png

nhjWfGP.png

lnqcWMK.png

C5kgrZt.png

WLOqGTH.png

IQHmqRZ.png

B6AzkB8.png

XNTwYXH.png

AizxabG.png

J5MA06s.png

bGxxpRo.png

Xk9X4n7.png

3jiZAD6.png

uvbq51X.png

B8FgzwQ.png

EP32uIZ.png

25RK0HY.png

IvnWrxJ.png

wLJ6plc.png

tgeOIEQ.png

ufjlfUj.png

mFy01oc.png

6IfLnaM.png

o4ourKe.png

SVZMsYe.png

9Awq8nY.png

CuU1GS7.png

NEM3xxG.png

mJisXH1.png

2cZ0yM3.png

Pgq9JI8.png

q90e5DX.png

gSuYuyV.png

XeWvpyf.png

4xCq7Vw.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I noticed steam has most of these except 6. I have a doubt 2-6 will see translation anytime soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom