Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Considering a +3 is the highest enchantment in 5E, +2 is a lot.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
More Notes From Crispy's Desk (actually some pics this time):

Regarding the much-talked-about character portraits, I wanted to submit some evidence to support the position that, specifically after the first patch, they're not nearly as bad anymore, at least from what I can see.

Here is a picture of my party standing in the Council's chambers, trying to explain why my paladin put on the crown of an apparently evil god:

hHcYPYv.jpg

As you can see, things don't look too bad. Of particular note should be my dwarven cleric's face; at chargen, it seemed okay, but after seeing her participating in conversation in the game's opening vignette, it was so bad -- distorted, almost grotesque -- I considered either restarting the game or just waiting for a fix. Lo and behold, it's more than acceptable now, although I will say there are certain angles of her face and in certain lights or circumstances when the Down's Syndrome comes back. Alas.

Here's a pic of the party exploring a part of the city:

OXXCsUW.jpg

Obviously I'm zoomed way in here, but the point is that, in actual gameplay, her and their face(s) look(s) just fine. My elf looks a little weird, too, but I actually like the odd look of him.

And lastly, here's a pic of the way you typically view your party about 95% of the time in the game:

GZsQt25.jpg

It's an attractive game, isn't it? Is the face thing really that big of a deal?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The more i play the more i get why 5th ed isn't regarded too well. Attunement is crap. Only 3 slots for magic items while pathfinder or 3/3.5 allow you to cover every inch of your body with magical items.

Also don’t know if it's the game or the ruleset but 1 utility slot? No feat or belt items to equip more items? That makes me never use item really.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I haven't been following this game too closely. Is the dungeon editor mode solid, or is it still a work in process? Can I immediately form a party and go into the dungeon editor or do I have to play the story first? What's the max party size?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I haven't been following this game too closely. Is the dungeon editor mode solid, or is it still a work in process? Can I immediately form a party and go into the dungeon editor or do I have to play the story first? What's the max party size?
I heard it is very underwhelming. Only 1 type of dungeon look, can't make custom enemy etc. It's still in beta tho and the game is looking that it's selling ok so they will add more features hopefully

pm_675

Arbiter

The dungeon editor is still in beta. It's very barebones at the moment but more complete than 2 months ago. And Tactical Adventures has said that they will continue to improve it. Check the nexus for user dungeons and see what they are. Although they are, for now, pretty much combat modules

You don't need to play the story first at all. You can load a module and play it independently of the story. Think like a NWN module but less complex for now.

Party size is four. No more and no less

Yosharian

Arcane
A decent weapon is something that has +X and some other bonuses like +1d6 fire damage or something like that, I was simply observing that it's funny that a basic +2 weapon is regarded so highly

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Whaaat.

Not just low lvl campaign but the whole thing? Where is my +5 godslayers?
Yeap, only +3 in the whole of 5E. Of course, as a DM you can make whatever enchantments you like, but it's not official.
The more i play the more i get why 5th ed isn't regarded too well. Attunement is crap. Only 3 slots for magic items while pathfinder or 3/3.5 allow you to cover every inch of your body with magical items.
The whole point of 5E is to cut down on the power creep and make it as painless and keep-track-of-bonuses-less as possible. They didn't manage to keep the power creep in check, but at least you aren't overwhelmed with bonuses from items. This is a good thing. The other extreme is Pathfinder, a total antithesis of what I find elegant and meaningful RPG system design. So if you like that, go for Pathfinder.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Whaaat.

Not just low lvl campaign but the whole thing? Where is my +5 godslayers?
Yeap, only +3 in the whole of 5E. Of course, as a DM you can make whatever enchantments you like, but it's not official.
The whole point of 5E is to cut down on the power creep and make it as painless and keep-track-of-bonuses-less as possible. They didn't manage to keep the power creep in check, but at least you aren't overwhelmed with bonuses from items. This is a good thing. The other extreme is Pathfinder, a total antithesis of what I find elegant and meaningful RPG system design. So if you like that, go for Pathfinder.
I guess it's becuase i play them in videogame form. When i played kingmaker, i do feel something like "how tf even people keep manually all these buffs, effects and modifiers??"

And solasta is obviously more manageable in my imagination into PnP format, i guess i prefer the earlier because in game format the computer keep track all those things so the crazy stacking effects doesn't really matter to the game process.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
actually im being too generous, those at least have character

the faces in solasta are just an amorphous blob of shit. Literally i dont want to play because I feel nothing about the character I make.

Harthwain

Magister
I guess it's becuase i play them in videogame form. When i played kingmaker, i do feel something like "how tf even people keep manually all these buffs, effects and modifiers??"
Frankly, when I played Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate games I never buffed outside of combat, because somehow I got used to the idea that spells are used in combat, not outside of it (and I was under the impression buffs are going to run out fast anyway). Shadows of Amn only solidified this outlook of mine by having the in-game ban on spell casting within the city (which is where you start). I think the only spell I ever used not in combat was the spell that opens locks, because its non-combat aplication was very obvious.

V_K

Arcane
I like the attunement system, in principle, it gives another strategic dimension to character building. However, magic gear is very scarce in Solasta - which I also like a lot in principle, but it does make attunement largely a non-issue.

jackofshadows

Magister
actually im being too generous, those at least have character

the faces in solasta are just an amorphous blob of shit. Literally i dont want to play because I feel nothing about the character I make.
5308C21C7DE16B580C1CE9F35ED892422B9DC5A0

This isn't a playable character of course but I can't say that I feel nothing about him. I feel pleasant Obilivion flash-backs and an impulse to punch someone.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Elves are manlets. Of course their life is suffering.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom